Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Training in Spain

Training in Spain

Old May 26th 2015, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

openwaterswimus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Training in Spain

Hello everyone! We are a semi-retired couple (Tricia and Neil) taking a few years out of the rat race just in case life decides to unexpectedly bite one on the derriere. Currently renting around Spanish Costa del Sol/Tropical using the sublime weather to regularly swim in the Med and Lake District (north of Malaga) awesome. Hubby is a middle-distance swimmer but now training for his first triathlon having met two diehards last year, one who has been in the world class rankings for years! Me? A leisurely non-competitive swimmer but I love it. Second visit to Spain but unsure of pros & cons of staying here on a temporary basis as we're both several years from pension entitlement. Anyway, if anyone out there believes they are living in another open water swimmers' (not diver's) paradise i.e. where we won't need to worry about being suddenly attacked by creatures with big teeth, venomous tentacles or microbes/sewage... please let us know . Anywhere in the world would be considered. Sorry but the suggestion "TRY STAYING OUT OF THE WATER!" is not particularly helpful
We are asking questions about temp residency in Spain on another thread. Please advise if you can, thank you.
Old May 26th 2015, 11:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Training in Spain

Welcome to BE.

Please could you contact admin and request a change of username? The one you are using is a domain name and as such is against our Site Rules (#11).

Site Rules | British Expatriate Community

You can do this by clicking on the 'Contact Us' tab at the bottom right hand side of this page.

Thank you.
Old May 27th 2015, 11:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

All sorted now and thanks for the prompt contact.
Old May 28th 2015, 5:08 am
MVP

edward222 has a reputation beyond reputeedward222 has a reputation beyond reputeedward222 has a reputation beyond reputeedward222 has a reputation beyond reputeedward222 has a reputation beyond reputeedward222 has a reputation beyond reputeedward222 has a reputation beyond reputeedward222 has a reputation beyond reputeedward222 has a reputation beyond reputeedward222 has a reputation beyond reputeedward222 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry BEVS
wrong post....
Old May 28th 2015, 5:25 am
`

Originally Posted by edward222
Sorry BEVS
wrong post....
Noted.
Old May 28th 2015, 7:28 am
Just Joined

AlColAsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by openwaterswimus
Hello everyone! We are a semi-retired couple (Tricia and Neil) taking a few years out of the rat race just in case life decides to unexpectedly bite one on the derriere. Currently renting around Spanish Costa del Sol/Tropical using the sublime weather to regularly swim in the Med and Lake District (north of Malaga) awesome. Hubby is a middle-distance swimmer but now training for his first triathlon having met two diehards last year, one who has been in the world class rankings for years! Me? A leisurely non-competitive swimmer but I love it. Second visit to Spain but unsure of pros & cons of staying here on a temporary basis as we're both several years from pension entitlement. Anyway, if anyone out there believes they are living in another open water swimmers' (not diver's) paradise i.e. where we won't need to worry about being suddenly attacked by creatures with big teeth, venomous tentacles or microbes/sewage... please let us know . Anywhere in the world would be considered. Sorry but the suggestion "TRY STAYING OUT OF THE WATER!" is not particularly helpful
We are asking questions about temp residency in Spain on another thread. Please advise if you can, thank you.
Have just registered with this site and not sure how it works. Was attracted to your message as my wife and I are in the process of moving to Vinuela. I am initerested in triathlon also, though more of a runner whilst improving my cycling and swimming. Hoping tha Lake Vinuela and surrounds will provide for all these pursuits. We are of retirement age, though still very active and would be interested to meet with like minded others.
Old May 28th 2015, 9:57 am
Just Joined

openwaterswimus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello AlColAsh, apologies for the delay but having just joined, the Moderators spotted that our username was a domain name... unbeknownst to us. So, within minutes of joining we'd broken the rules but were very professionally and courteously asked to change it... thank you to those Ms involved. We are now "Openwaterswimus".
Coincidentally, last year we went to the Embalse Vinuela but couldn't find an easy place to get into the reservoir... it involved wading into gooey mud! You may get better advice from the locals where to get in. If you do, pls pass on as we'd consider a trip to meet you.
We went to the Lake District N/NW of Malaga, coming off at El Chorro, where they recently held a tri and half-ironman. John Hook (world-class) won the over-60s and Sunday gone came 4th in Rimini in the world qualifying series. We train with him in Nerja but he is a machine! Please don't be put off thinking you have to be Olympic standard 'cause the rest of us aren't.
There is NASSA (Nerja Amateur Sea Swimming Association) that meets most evenings at 5pm at Burriana Beach with all standards of swimmers, about 30+ members, maybe more? including ladies/me... often a beer in El Fuego bar afterwards. Contact: <snip> and say Tricia and Neil introduced you. No joining fee. We'd all loved to meet you even if it's a bit of a journey.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 28th 2015 at 10:26 am. Reason: Sorry, but please don't put a third parties personal contact details on the forum, thx. People can PM you for it if they wish
Old May 29th 2015, 12:31 am
`

To help you connect .

What you can do is to click on the persons profile by clicking on their username.

A drop down menu will appear.

You can choose to either send a Private Message or to send a BE email.

Both will reach the person .