Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Third Culture Kid in USA

Third Culture Kid in USA

Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:35 am
Just Joined

winchester is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Third Culture Kid in USA

Hello, not an expat myself, but a considerably English Anglo-American. Born and raised in America (wisconsin, if you must), but in fairly British surroundings -football, grandad playing cricket, rhubarb, good manners, casual racism, the emotionally repressed, and the correct pronunciation of 'garage'.

Stricken with a trans-atlantic accent that invites ridicule from both Americans and Brits ...but the girls love it all the same, so I can live with it

I do have passports for both US & UK (if i'm british enough for the Queen, that's good enough for me), and that's the main reason I've signed on to this site. Looking for tips on renewing UK passport whilst in America, with the added complication of not being a 'proper' brit.

Also looking for any good british spots in Wisconsin-Minnesota. Already very familiar with Brit's pub in Minneapolis, top place.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:43 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Third Culture Kid in USA

Hi Winchester

Welcome to BE

I would recommend you check out our USA forum where you may get some advice from others in a similar situation, as many expats have kids on dual passport. You will find it by clicking the 'forum index' tab on the top left of this page, scroll down the countries, double click on USA and you're in.

You can also chat with some other folks with funny accents

All the best

Dread - x
Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:04 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi winchester,

Welcome to BE!!

My son is similar to you. Born in the UK, spent first few years of his life there, but all his schooling years have been in the US. He's now in the UK at university ... a Brit with an American accent .... that confuses a few people.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary