Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Thinking of France

Thinking of France

Old Mar 5th 2017, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

roddycam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of France

I have had a long love affair with France. Now that I am retired I am thinking of living the dream and moving to France.

However, there are one or two obstacles in the way.

The first is my financial situation. For the first year or so I will be able to rent but not to buy.

Secondly, Brexit will presumably affect the rights of expats in France. This area is a big unknown, so I think it wiser to wait and see.

I speak and read French, I like the culture and way of life, and I don't like Essex where I live now.

I have always liked the Nord - Pas de Calais region, and places like Berck and Wimereux are very appealing, but as summer resorts I'm guessing long-term lets are expensive in the holiday months.

Anyway, glad to have found this Forum, and any advice would be welcome.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of France

Rental seems to be much more common in France than with the mad Anglo-saxons. Go - and rent a place. In any case escape from Clacton ! Bonne chance, mon brave !
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Old Mar 5th 2017, 7:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and warm welcome to BE.

So France is your choice of destination in the future. How exciting. I vacationed there from New York last year and it was fabulous. Unfortunately, as American I could never live there so I will envy you from afar.

May I direct you to our France forum for your questions and answers. France - British Expats A lovely group of expats there who can surely assist you with any questions you have.

Before you start posting, I would like to direct you to our site rules. It is linked on the sticky links above.

If you have any issues with navigating the site or encounter any problems, please do not hesitate to reach out to one of our moderators for assistance.

Again, welcome.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roddycam
I have had a long love affair with France. Now that I am retired I am thinking of living the dream and moving to France.

However, there are one or two obstacles in the way.

The first is my financial situation. For the first year or so I will be able to rent but not to buy.

Secondly, Brexit will presumably affect the rights of expats in France. This area is a big unknown, so I think it wiser to wait and see.

I speak and read French, I like the culture and way of life, and I don't like Essex where I live now.

I have always liked the Nord - Pas de Calais region, and places like Berck and Wimereux are very appealing, but as summer resorts I'm guessing long-term lets are expensive in the holiday months.

Anyway, glad to have found this Forum, and any advice would be welcome.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
It's often suggested to rent first before buying, to get a feel of the place and also to make sure that you really want to retire to France!
As suggested, come over to the France forum, take a look in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs which covers "growng old in France", the conditions usually required for renting, healthcare coverage for UK Pensioners, and other pertinent threads.
Then post in a New Thread to ask about living in general and in the "Hauts de France" (new name for the whole Région) in particular.
Look forward to seeing you in the France forum!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks