Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving to Languedoc

Thinking about moving to Languedoc

Old Jan 21st 2018, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Kevangela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about moving to Languedoc

Hi

We are thinking about moving to France, it's my husbands dream. We're thinking of the Languedoc area in particular as we like the sun, failing that maybe the Dordogne. Can anyone give us any pointers/advice on any nice towns they could recommend? Ideally I'd like to be able to integrate into a community (with both expat and French). Also, I wouldn't want to be anywhere were we weren't wanted and be unable to do this, my worst nightmare would be to be isolated.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about moving to Languedoc

Originally Posted by Kevangela
Hi

We are thinking about moving to France, it's my husbands dream. We're thinking of the Languedoc area in particular as we like the sun, failing that maybe the Dordogne. Can anyone give us any pointers/advice on any nice towns they could recommend? Ideally I'd like to be able to integrate into a community (with both expat and French). Also, I wouldn't want to be anywhere were we weren't wanted and be unable to do this, my worst nightmare would be to be isolated.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the France forum, with more details about yourselves. Do you have UK State Pensions? pre-retirees? looking for salaried work? working from home? Bringing family? Do you both speak French?
Depending on your status/circumstances, there are different answers to the various questions that you should also be asking! (Healthcare coverage, for example). Before you post again, take a look in the various threads in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs in the Stickies at the top of the France forum, esp. concerning Growing old in France if you are of an age, schooling if you're bringing children, Inheritance Laws if you're buying property, "Renting" if you're renting, etc...
I myself live in rural Hérault, but you may prefer a town with medical facilities, esp. if you have health issues.
P.S. The weather shouldn't be the main reason for moving to France. Don't count on much sun in the winter - it's very wet and windy in the winter nowadays. And last summer we had a drought lasting about 4 months with continuous sun, even too hot for the locals!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Kevangela is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dmu

Thanks for your reply. I will post again in the France forum so thanks for that, i'm new to the site and just getting used to it. We are pre-retirees but wouldn't have to work; I like the idea of buying something with a gite/self catering accommodation as a project to keep me busy. I have a little french but my husband doesn't have any. Thanks for the tip about health care, we don't have any health issues yet. Do you like Herault?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and an official welcome to BE

Here's the link for the France forum for your reading and posting pleasure.

France - British Expats

Before doing so, please read the site rules linked on the beige header above. Not many rules but it helps keep the unrulies in line ;-)