Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Tasmania...wow!

Tasmania...wow!

Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Andrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really nice
Default Tasmania...wow!

Hi

I am Andrew and am seriously considering a job in Tasmania. I am an accountant and am in the middle of the recruitment process. Until I was contacted I'd never considered emigrating but the idea has caught my eye and Tasmania looks amazing. But I am 47 and although very young at heart (ie I feel 12!) I keeping finding myself in a comfortable zone (eg I love Essex!....weekends away, theatre trips to London, Waitrose, John Lewis, Selfridges), sad I know but I wonder if I'd miss all that. ...then I slap myself and for getting sentimental about a supermarket chain and a shop!

Andrew
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania...wow!

Originally Posted by Andrew_Essex
Hi

I am Andrew and am seriously considering a job in Tasmania. I am an accountant and am in the middle of the recruitment process. Until I was contacted I'd never considered emigrating but the idea has caught my eye and Tasmania looks amazing. But I am 47 and although very young at heart (ie I feel 12!) I keeping finding myself in a comfortable zone (eg I love Essex!....weekends away, theatre trips to London, Waitrose, John Lewis, Selfridges), sad I know but I wonder if I'd miss all that. ...then I slap myself and for getting sentimental about a supermarket chain and a shop!

Andrew
Hello Andrew and welcome to BE.

In that case you'll be in good company because many of us dream of Tesco and Marks and Spencer etc. When I go back to the UK I buy a dozen of this...twenty of that...the cashier usually looks a little confused until I explain that I'm an expat and all the goodies will be going back to the US with me.

We have a great bunch of people who post in our Australia Forum....they will help you with any questions you may have about Australia. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum is the Immigration Forum all questions regarding the immigration process should be posted in there. The Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of useful info in there.

Alistairboyle is the concierge for the Australia forums...he will act as your tour guide to help you navigate the many BE forums. So if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums please contact him.

If you have any concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20, Sonlymewalter and Centurion.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and don't forget to shout out should you require any help.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:13 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew and welcome to B.E. and sorry I'm a bit late saying hello.

Just to confirm a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

I used to inhabit various parts of Essex in my previous existence. My Dad in Law is from Tazzie. It is very, very beautiful there but cold at times and perhaps just a little behind the times, but then that appeals to me. One of the greener parts of Australia as well. Don't forget that you'll need your Tazzie Passport to come to the mainland!

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:55 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew

Welcome to BE.
I echo the suggestion of getting onto the Australia forum as you will be able to find out much more from people who are actually there, which may help make up your mind.

Good luck whatever you decide

Dread -x
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

cass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nice

Hi Andrew

My family are starting the process of moving to tasmania we went there in 2008 for a month and totally fell in love with the place. It is a little behind the times but the beauty of the place makes up for it. the people are amazingly friendly and lets face it you could always come back if you missed M&S that much but i really dont think you would want to, you can always jump on a short flight to Melbourne if you want something a little more exciting.
Cass
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Hi

Andrew
Hi Andrew
I am married to a Tasmanian and we live very happily here... Tasmania is amazing, prior to here I lived up north in WA and of course it is such a contrast.
Theatres do exist here, Myers, nothing comparible to Waitrose or Selfridges .. I also am very used to London living but I havent found it a hardship at all.
Tasmania is a beautiful state, Melbourne is an hour away if you are a culture vulture.

If I can help you at all please let me know... best wishes Susie x
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

[QUOTE=cass73;8785499]Hi Andrew

My family are starting the process of moving to tasmania we went there in 2008 for a month and totally fell in love with the place. It is a little behind the times but the beauty of the place makes up for it. the people are amazingly friendly and lets face it you could always come back if you missed M&S that much but i really dont think you would want to, you can always jump on a short flight to Melbourne if you want something a little more exciting.
Cass[/QUOTE

Hi Cass,

Yes Tasmania is gorgeous, so pleased you enjoyed yourself. We live very happily here in northern Tasmania amongst the grapes/apples and beaches

Marks & Spencers deliver here as do many shops, personally there is very little I miss.. well apart from cheaper flights of course but thats par for the course

Let me know if I can help at all.

cheers Susie x
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:26 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a belated hello & welcome from me too been finding my feet since making the move to NZ (11.08.10)

Good luck with the decision, nothing wrong with missing the supermarkets, I am already getting sentimental over radiators

Dewb
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:34 am
Account Closed

-Aims- is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andrew,

I live in Southern Tasmania and there are A LOT of British Expats down here, every time I go to the supermarket I always hear people speaking with british accents, they are usually people who find the mainland too hot and like how green Tassie is. It is quiet and peaceful here, the place to come for a relaxed pace of life. Its a good comprimise, hot summers and snow capped mountains in winter.

However, it is all the little things you mentioned that we really miss about the UK, shops, food, tv shows (UK tv commercials are better than most Ozzie Tv shows)... and are seriously thinking of moving back for, haha, seems silly really but we talk about them all the time!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Andrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really niceAndrew_Essex is just really nice

Originally Posted by -Aims-
Hi Andrew,

I live in Southern Tasmania and there are A LOT of British Expats down here, every time I go to the supermarket I always hear people speaking with british accents, they are usually people who find the mainland too hot and like how green Tassie is. It is quiet and peaceful here, the place to come for a relaxed pace of life. Its a good comprimise, hot summers and snow capped mountains in winter.

However, it is all the little things you mentioned that we really miss about the UK, shops, food, tv shows (UK tv commercials are better than most Ozzie Tv shows)... and are seriously thinking of moving back for, haha, seems silly really but we talk about them all the time!
Thnaks for all your encouragement. I've spent a lot of time on the net researching and I think I might be hooked. I am not a great fan of very hot climates, its turning autumunal in the UK and I love it, so Tas might suit me more than mainland Aus. The only downside I've discovered so far is that european cars so expensive but who needs a flash car anyway!

So all I have to do now is cary on through the interviews and see if I manage to get the job!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:44 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thnaks for all your encouragement. I've spent a lot of time on the net researching and I think I might be hooked. I am not a great fan of very hot climates, its turning autumunal in the UK and I love it, so Tas might suit me more than mainland Aus. The only downside I've discovered so far is that european cars so expensive but who needs a flash car anyway!

So all I have to do now is cary on through the interviews and see if I manage to get the job!
Hi Andrew

Glad to see you have made the big decision, so good luck with your job application and your move to Taz.

Dread - x
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:18 am
Just Joined

cass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nicecass73 is just really nice

[QUOTE=siamsusie;8798496]
Originally Posted by cass73
Hi Andrew

Cass[/QUOTE

Hi Cass,

Yes Tasmania is gorgeous, so pleased you enjoyed yourself. We live very happily here in northern Tasmania amongst the grapes/apples and beaches

Marks & Spencers deliver here as do many shops, personally there is very little I miss.. well apart from cheaper flights of course but thats par for the course

Let me know if I can help at all.

cheers Susie x
hi susie
just found out hubby has passed the TRA so on with the visa forms x