Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Singlemum wants more...pls help!

Singlemum wants more...pls help!

Old May 7th 2010, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Estelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really nice
Question Singlemum wants more...pls help!

Hi everyone!
Im 33 year old single mum of a beautiful 10 yr old daughter from the UK and emigrating has been on my mind so much over the last 5 yrs but not really been brave enough to take it any further!
Im sure everyone on this site has been "there" in life where they just want more from life, something exciting, a new challenge and a better way of life for the kids!
Well thats where i am now and could really do with some advice please!

I dont know where to start......
I love america and dream about being back in NYC...but i hear USA is difficult to get a green card!
Australia seems so far away and so final....i know thats the whole point of emigrating but still.... the other side of the world???
Barbados would be incredible and a country that i just fell in love with!!!

Any advice??? ANy questions???

Thanks guys xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old May 7th 2010, 4:48 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singlemum wants more...pls help!

Originally Posted by Estelle-singlemum
Hi everyone!
Im 33 year old single mum of a beautiful 10 yr old daughter from the UK and emigrating has been on my mind so much over the last 5 yrs but not really been brave enough to take it any further!
Im sure everyone on this site has been "there" in life where they just want more from life, something exciting, a new challenge and a better way of life for the kids!
Well thats where i am now and could really do with some advice please!

I dont know where to start......
I love america and dream about being back in NYC...but i hear USA is difficult to get a green card!
Australia seems so far away and so final....i know thats the whole point of emigrating but still.... the other side of the world???
Barbados would be incredible and a country that i just fell in love with!!!

Any advice??? ANy questions???

Thanks guys xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Forget the USA unless you have an in demand job,thought of Canada? You are a bit vague about what you have to offer
Old May 7th 2010, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Estelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really niceEstelle-singlemum is just really nice

sorry for the vaugueness!! This is my first thread and really my 1st admission to myself that i have just had enough!!!

Im a qualified nursery nurse of 15 yrs and been a manager for the last 10 years.

I thought USA might be difficult. I had thought of canada but i dont really have enough knowledge of the country to form an opinion.

Any advice welcome! X
Old May 7th 2010, 5:18 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for the vaugueness!! This is my first thread and really my 1st admission to myself that i have just had enough!!!

Im a qualified nursery nurse of 15 yrs and been a manager for the last 10 years.

I thought USA might be difficult. I had thought of canada but i dont really have enough knowledge of the country to form an opinion.

Any advice welcome! X
First place is go to the immigration page of each country on BE that'll put you straight

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Old May 7th 2010, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice welcome! X
Welcome to BE.

A note of caution.

It's not a good idea to just try to pick a country out of a hat because you fancy a change. What is it you want to change in your life? And are you free to take your daughter anywhere?
Old May 7th 2010, 5:29 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

what do you consider a better way of life?
Old May 7th 2010, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

thanks all for taking the time to reply...its all a bit daunting!

I understand when you say i shouldnt just pick a country because i fancy a change.... it has to be the right place that will suit our lifestyle and i have to do some serious research!

Yeah me and my daughter ar pretty much free to go where ever we like, which is the exciting bit.

My best friend emigrated to Oz last year and we are visiting them for a month in august so i will get an idea of what an expats life is like. I also worked as an au pair in NYC 12 yrs ago so i have a passion for the USA. I love the americans, the way of life, everything about it...and i know whats its like to work there too, not just visit on a holiday!

When i say a better way of life.....Im quite easy really on that one. I dont ask for much in life, just to be happy, have enough money to get by and provide for my daughter. I have been a single mum for 10 yrs and happy with being independant and not needing to rely on family and friends.

The UK doesnt hold much for me anymore, and its time to make a change and do something about it rather than just moan about it as i hear from people everyday.

sorry for not really giving you all much to go on, but i really am just at stage 1 in all this. But i will check out the immigration page of different countries and get reading!

THANKS AGAIN XX
Old May 7th 2010, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Estelle and welcome.

Here is the link to our main index page...take a look at the list of countries and click on the country/countries that interest you. Take a read through some of the old threads and look through the Immigration forums to get some sort of idea on what others are going through.

You say you have a daughter...you would of course have to get the father's written permission to take her out of the UK...you would need to get a solicitor involved in this I believe.

The other side of the grass is not always greener. The UK is a great place to live and sometimes it takes a stint overseas to appreciate it. Take a look through our MBTTUK Forum...it will give you an idea what some expats go through when they live in another country.

Please shout out if you need any assistance finding your way around BE...a moderator or admin will be pleased to help you.

Good luck.
Old May 7th 2010, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply!

I will certainly look into everything i possibly can. I have just emailed my BF who went to Oz last year and asked for help too

Thanks x
Old May 7th 2010, 8:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!
Old May 7th 2010, 8:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

When i say a better way of life.....Im quite easy really on that one. I dont ask for much in life, just to be happy, have enough money to get by and provide for my daughter.
But you mentioned a better way of life for your daughter in your initial post, then when questioned about that, mention everything you want as a way of life..

I'll ask again, what do you want for a better way of life for your daughter?

better schools?
more job opportunities?

what?