Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

scared and lost - Thinking of moving to Australia

scared and lost - Thinking of moving to Australia

Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

haunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the rough
Default scared and lost - Thinking of moving to Australia

Hi,

I am deciding on making the big move soon and hope to get some help with this.

I just seem to be going round in circles researching everything and not really getting anywhere.

It can be very confusing and do feel as though I want to give it all up and stick my head in the sand.

I imagine a lot of people have felt the same way so it is nice to know I am not the only one.

Hope to speak to some of you soon once I have dragged my head back out from it's sandy cocoon.

H.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: scared and lost

Welcome to BE and goodluck!

So where to you hail from and where do you plan on heading?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE

So you are thinking seriously about emigrating to Australia. It must be exciting to think of starting a new life someplace new. I've never been to Australia. I'm a yank who has never left her hometown except to travel a bit about my own country and a little of Europe.

Can only imagine the fears that go with making such a long move. I know there will be someone around soon to point you in the right direction and offer a helping hand.

Hang in there and don't suffocate in that sand hole you buried your pretty little head in.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

haunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
Welcome to BE and goodluck!

So where to you hail from and where do you plan on heading?
Hello Bob.

I am from Hertfordshire and plan to head somewhere in the Gold Coast direction. I really need to do more research on this. Quick. We had our visa granted last July and need to get a move on, trouble is we are last minute people (not thorough lack of planning, that how it always seems to end up being)

Originally Posted by Rete
Hi and welcome to BE

So you are thinking seriously about emigrating to Australia. It must be exciting to think of starting a new life someplace new. I've never been to Australia. I'm a yank who has never left her hometown except to travel a bit about my own country and a little of Europe.

Can only imagine the fears that go with making such a long move. I know there will be someone around soon to point you in the right direction and offer a helping hand.

Hang in there and don't suffocate in that sand hole you buried your pretty little head in.
Hello Rete,

I keep swinging from really excited to dreading the move. It's hard to be happy about it when everything is all up in the air and our lives are "on hold", but I have to keep a happy face on it all for the kids. It's not going to be easy for them and as long as I do my best to make this a happy experience for them, it should be easier for us all.

I have lived in Hertfordshire my whole life and have only holidayed around Europe, my parents are in the next town and the rest of the family are around this part of the county too. So can understand where you are coming from about only being able to imagine the fear. It's not that different from where I am at this moment (ok, months) in time.

Don't worry about suffocating myself, the kids have poured water in the sand so have had to drag my head out as I don't like being cold.

Speak to you soon and thank you for the welcome.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Gilly52 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by haunted
Hi,

I just seem to be going round in circles researching everything and not really getting anywhere.

It can be very confusing and do feel as though I want to give it all up and stick my head in the sand.

I imagine a lot of people have felt the same way so it is nice to know I am not the only one.

Hope to speak to some of you soon once I have dragged my head back out from it's sandy cocoon.

H.
Hi, i am planning on moving to Perth on a parent visa to join my son, i have opted to use a migrant agent to assist with all the hassle, i won't be applying until October and from there it's taking approx 18mths from lodging to granting, i have had loads of holidays in Perth and really love the city so can't wait to start the process at least then i will feel i am almost there with a bit of luck.
I have found folk on here very helpful so anything your not sure about just ask as there's always someone willing to help, we are all daunted by the legalities at some point. Wish you all the luck.........
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gilly52
Hi, i am planning on moving to Perth on a parent visa to join my son, i have opted to use a migrant agent to assist with all the hassle, i won't be applying until October and from there it's taking approx 18mths from lodging to granting, i have had loads of holidays in Perth and really love the city so can't wait to start the process at least then i will feel i am almost there with a bit of luck.
I have found folk on here very helpful so anything your not sure about just ask as there's always someone willing to help, we are all daunted by the legalities at some point. Wish you all the luck.........
Thank you.

I hope that it all goes smoothly for you. It must be exciting to make that move to join family.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Coryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

H.
Hi Haunted,
I guess you need to start with wrapping things up here in the UK.
Selling stuff, Shipping stuff to Australia, cancelling things like direct debits, and hopefully having your mail redirected

Then you need to start looking for Work and a place to live in Oz.
That's easier if you have friends and family out there, harder if you don't, and your just going out blind.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Gilly52 is on a distinguished road

Thank you.

I hope that it all goes smoothly for you. It must be exciting to make that move to join family.
I hope so too, there's always the worry of a hiccup of some sort or other, or the dread of dread of having your application being rejected. We can all but try and hope all goes smoothly.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Coryate
Hi Haunted,
I guess you need to start with wrapping things up here in the UK.
Selling stuff, Shipping stuff to Australia, cancelling things like direct debits, and hopefully having your mail redirected

Then you need to start looking for Work and a place to live in Oz.
That's easier if you have friends and family out there, harder if you don't, and your just going out blind.
Thank you for all of that. I forgot about the DD's.

I will log on soon and let you all know how we are doing.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gilly52
I hope so too, there's always the worry of a hiccup of some sort or other, or the dread of dread of having your application being rejected. We can all but try and hope all goes smoothly.
Good luck with it all. Our application was pretty straight forward but we always worried about something messing it all up for us.

I am sure you will be fine.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Coryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for all of that. I forgot about the DD's.

I will log on soon and let you all know how we are doing.
I have my English Heritage Membership to renew every year, so I will hve to cancel it, and then I will need to remember what else I am a member of, and to cancel them as well