Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Saudi - here I come!

Saudi - here I come!

Old May 15th 2010, 5:46 pm
cos "porky" isn't welcome

Beefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really nice
Default Saudi - here I come!

Hi, I am just about to take up an assignment in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years, my wife has been given a year off from her UK teaching post to join me for a year starting this August. I've previously been based in France, Netherlands, Malaysia, Thailand and am pretty well travelled on top of that (you could say I've been reound the block a few times) but I still expect Saudi to be a bit different for us. So, looking forward to lots of help & advice until I am in a position to do likewise!
Cheers.
Old May 15th 2010, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi - here I come!

Originally Posted by Beefy
Hi, I am just about to take up an assignment in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years, my wife has been given a year off from her UK teaching post to join me for a year starting this August. I've previously been based in France, Netherlands, Malaysia, Thailand and am pretty well travelled on top of that (you could say I've been reound the block a few times) but I still expect Saudi to be a bit different for us. So, looking forward to lots of help & advice until I am in a position to do likewise!
Cheers.

Welcome to BE Beefy.

If you click here it will take you directly to our Middle East forums. Please post any questions you may have about life in the ME in there. Many of our members are expats living out there...I'm sure they will help you out as much as they can.

Please shout out if you have any problems finding your way around the forums. The moderators for the ME forums are Bob, NorthernLad and rowell...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Good luck to you and your wife with the move.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
So you are both non drinkers then and your wife doesnt drive a car ?

Couldnt do it myself, good luck to you
Old May 15th 2010, 11:46 pm

Beefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really niceBeefy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
So you are both non drinkers then and your wife doesnt drive a car ?

Couldnt do it myself, good luck to you
Yeah, the lack of beer could be a bit if a challenge, and the dearly beloved thought she'd miss being allowed to drive, until she saw the standard of driving there!
Old May 16th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the lack of beer could be a bit if a challenge, and the dearly beloved thought she'd miss being allowed to drive, until she saw the standard of driving there!
You have will power. i couldnt live in a place that treats people the way they do.
Old May 16th 2010, 4:25 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
You have will power. i couldnt live in a place that treats people the way they do.
Fortunately they don't treat their western guests too badly. Its the Indians, Pakistanis and other Third World Nationals who get treated piss poorly.
Old May 16th 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by lionheart
Fortunately they don't treat their western guests too badly. Its the Indians, Pakistanis and other Third World Nationals who get treated piss poorly.
Absolutely true, but it's not just the Saudis. Whilst working in Malaysia I saw a Bangladeshi guy fall off the roof of a construction to his death, and the supervisor first arranged for an immediate replacement, and only then called the emergency services to clear up the mess. That's the worst of several such incidents I've seen.
Old May 16th 2010, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE
Old May 16th 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Should be a lot of fun!! Stonings are once a month and twice a month people are allowed to laugh (in a closed room, as long as the dog isn't watching!)
Old May 17th 2010, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Should be a lot of fun!! Stonings are once a month and twice a month people are allowed to laugh (in a closed room, as long as the dog isn't watching!)
Yeah, getting stoned takes on an entirely different meaning! I checked out one local website on nightlife in Riyadh, and the only entry was a recommendation to visit during Ramadan, when the restaurants would be open all night. Presumably men-only. Deep joy. So that's it... Enjoyment banned. Just hope I don't get my iPod confiscated!
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:31 am
Just Joined

grandesigner is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Beefy,
we are about to be Newbies too. My husband starts on 1st July, and I guess I will join him sometime in August, depending on my visa application and Ramadan...
I have been advised to join the Embassies for some networking, and the HASH club (running or walking xxx miles on Thurs and Fris).
Maybe see you and your wife out there!
Good Luck too.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by grandesigner
HI Beefy,
we are about to be Newbies too. My husband starts on 1st July, and I guess I will join him sometime in August, depending on my visa application and Ramadan...
I have been advised to join the Embassies for some networking, and the HASH club (running or walking xxx miles on Thurs and Fris).
Maybe see you and your wife out there!
Good Luck too.
Good luck with the move, and with hubby's job, and with getting all the formalities of residency, accommodation etc.! Wifey joins me late August or September - assuming all is sorted by then. Should be warm enough by then.