Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Retiring to France

Retiring to France

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

chrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nice
Default Retiring to France

Hi All, we are Chris and Jacqui and we will be retiring next year from the public sector in the UK after 30+ years service each and before HMG gets even more of our hard earnt pensions! (I am a Fire Officer and my wife is a Civil servant DWP)
We are only just starting out on our exploration of France with a few trips over to the South Western area (Languedoc/Dordogne region) to begin with, although we are planning to undertake a proper road trip later next year or early in 2013 (along with Roger - our Dandie Dinmont terrier!)
This may well involve renting somewhere in France for a few months whilst we have a look around. I'm quite interested in owning a boat of some sort, so will be quite interested in areas near the French canels.
We've only just discovered the British expats forum so will no doubt be frequent visitors probably with loads of questions! (particularly to the French contributors) Look forward to learning more from you all as well as sharing our own experiences on the mysteries of France!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to France

Originally Posted by chrisnjac
Hi All, we are Chris and Jacqui and we will be retiring next year from the public sector in the UK after 30+ years service each and before HMG gets even more of our hard earnt pensions! (I am a Fire Officer and my wife is a Civil servant DWP)
We are only just starting out on our exploration of France with a few trips over to the South Western area (Languedoc/Dordogne region) to begin with, although we are planning to undertake a proper road trip later next year or early in 2013 (along with Roger - our Dandie Dinmont terrier!)
This may well involve renting somewhere in France for a few months whilst we have a look around. I'm quite interested in owning a boat of some sort, so will be quite interested in areas near the French canels.
We've only just discovered the British expats forum so will no doubt be frequent visitors probably with loads of questions! (particularly to the French contributors) Look forward to learning more from you all as well as sharing our own experiences on the mysteries of France!
Hello and welcome to BE.

I have moved your post into a thread of it's own as it gives us a better opportunity to welcome you to the forums.

We have quite a few members who have retired to France...I'm sure they will be pleased to offer you help and advice.
We have a couple of very lively France Forums...why don't you pop over there take a look around and say hello?

If you have any problems finding your way around the rest of the site Ka Ora is the concierge for the France forums...he will act as your tour guide and help you find your way around BE's many forums.

Any problems or complaints should be addressed to a moderator. Mitzyboy is the moderator for the France forums but if he's not around any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

I hope your enjoy your time with us.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:34 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris and Jacqui,

Welcome to BE. I hope you enjoying being part of our community. You are going to love our France forum it's full of really terrific people who are great at sharing info, tips and stuff.

Are you finding your way around the site ok?

Sue
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, there is also a lot more information in the Europe Forums. Yet another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

chrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi Chris and Jacqui,

Welcome to BE. I hope you enjoying being part of our community. You are going to love our France forum it's full of really terrific people who are great at sharing info, tips and stuff.

Are you finding your way around the site ok?

Sue
Hi Sue, thanks for the welcome, early days re use of the site but getting there!

Regards Chris
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, there is also a lot more information in the Europe Forums. Yet another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Thanks Rosemary, we'll give these sites a look.. Chris
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris and Jacqui and welcome to BE. Your retirement plans sound incredible ... well I'm incredibly jealous anyway. Best of luck in your future roadtrips with Roger. (That's a great dog name by the way!) Please keep us posted as your journey unfolds.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Hi Chris and Jacqui and welcome to BE. Your retirement plans sound incredible ... well I'm incredibly jealous anyway. Best of luck in your future roadtrips with Roger. (That's a great dog name by the way!) Please keep us posted as your journey unfolds.
Will do thanks for the support!

Chris
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:25 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris n Jacqui

Welcome to BE and congratulations on your escape from public service.
You now deserve a fabulous retirement.
If you haven't already pop onto the France forum and introduce yourself as there is lots of information on different areas and lots of good folks to answer questions.
Good luck with your plans and have a fabulous road trip

Dread - x
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Polly1956 is just really nicePolly1956 is just really nicePolly1956 is just really nicePolly1956 is just really nicePolly1956 is just really nicePolly1956 is just really nicePolly1956 is just really nicePolly1956 is just really nice

Hello Chris and Jaqui,

We are Don and Pauline and a cocker spaniel called Max and, although we've only just registered today, we'd like to say hello and welcome.

We too are retiring to France - somewhere between Marseillan and Pezenas in the Languedoc region. (My husband is also planning on buying a boat so that he can go fishing and the saltwater lake, canal du midi, and the Mediterranean sea are within spitting distance).

We have just taken a 6 month let in Marseillan from October this year to allow us to house hunt. I was looking for advice on insurance for unoccupied homes and found some good advice here in this forum.

Good luck with your plans!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:11 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polly1956
Hello Chris and Jaqui,

We are Don and Pauline and a cocker spaniel called Max and, although we've only just registered today, we'd like to say hello and welcome.

We too are retiring to France - somewhere between Marseillan and Pezenas in the Languedoc region. (My husband is also planning on buying a boat so that he can go fishing and the saltwater lake, canal du midi, and the Mediterranean sea are within spitting distance).

We have just taken a 6 month let in Marseillan from October this year to allow us to house hunt. I was looking for advice on insurance for unoccupied homes and found some good advice here in this forum.

Hi Polly,

Welcome to BE to you too. I'm so pleased you are finding BE useful and hope you will stick around for a long time to come.

Sue
Old Aug 14th 2011, 5:24 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polly1956
Hello Chris and Jaqui,

Hi Polly

Welcome to BE to you too.
Hopefully you have found the France forum - if not check it out as there are plenty of folks on there who have made the move.
Good luck with your planned move - and enjoy the househunting.

Dread - x