British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Registering with agencies in the UK. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/registering-agencies-uk-904794/)

rronald Oct 19th 2017 4:14 pm

Registering with agencies in the UK.

Hello,
I am curious about how soon can I register with the NHS, Voter registration,and tax authority before moving back to the UK from USA. If I have to wait until I get back I may have a few surprises that I don't like so I would like to find out before I go.
I don't want to have to return after I get there.
Thanks.:confused::confused:

Rete Oct 19th 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Registering with agencies in the UK.

Hi there and welcome to BE

I can imagine the number of questions you have in regard to re-establishing the UK as your home.

Many Brits have travelled this path and we have a forum called Moving Back to the UK which will sort out the questions and answers for you. Moving back to the UK - British Expats

Kindly have a read of the site rules linked above on the beige header and wander over there to read posts and ask your questions.

mikelincs Oct 19th 2017 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by rronald (Post 12364712)
Hello,
I am curious about how soon can I register with the NHS, Voter registration,and tax authority before moving back to the UK from USA. If I have to wait until I get back I may have a few surprises that I don't like so I would like to find out before I go.
I don't want to have to return after I get there.
Thanks.:confused::confused:

Welcome to BE.

Please have a quick read of the site rules, beige bar at the top, and, should you have any site related problem please contact on of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom of each forum page.

You will be unable to register with the NHS or on the electoral roll until you are physically living in the UK as they are both residence based. Once you are in the UK you can register with the tax office, but you may already bee registered with them if you have worked for any time in the UK, registering with them just means getting a National insurance number which may already have been allocated to you.

rronald Oct 19th 2017 6:59 pm

OK thanks for that. I am just nervous about being turned down after I go to all that trouble. I am a UK citizen and did work at one time many years ago and I have a NI number since then. The only thing I don't have is an NHS number so I will get that soon too I hope. Thanks again from Ronald.

BritInParis Oct 19th 2017 7:23 pm

Hi Ronald,

If you were born in the UK you will have a NHS number. When you register with a GP they will be able to find your details on the system.

If you have a NI number then you don't need to register with HMRC. You just need to quote it when you start work or need to file a tax return, etc..

There's actually very little you need or even can do before your return. The only thing that is important is to have a valid British passport to show on arrival. Everything can be or needs to be done after you return.

You may also wish to consider naturalising as a US citizen if you haven't done in order to keep that door open to you.