Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Recommend a country for us to emigrate to?

Recommend a country for us to emigrate to?

Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:22 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend a country for us to emigrate to?

Hello mate, welcome to BE. I see that you mentioned Thailand in your list of countries. I've been here a very long time and it is a good place to live IMO. However, and don't take this the wrong way, but going by some of the things you said in your post I really can't see you hacking it here. There is a lot to get your head round and things are very different.

On the plus side for you there is no PC bullshit here and land is cheap.

but at the same time Thailand has got to be the most pro -gay country in the world and I think you might have issues with that. Thais are IMO also very racist and that might bother you as well. Especially with a two -tier pricing system.

Still, you can always come for a long holiday and see what you think.

Good luck, I think you may need it.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:10 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You're only in your 20s. Go do some travelling around and get a feel for other countries. You've got a helluva lot of likes and dislikes in your list and, frankly speaking, Utopia does not exist, believe me.

Thailand? Heh heh, that did make me chuckle Yup, take a holiday there and see if you like it. I would love to be a fly on the wall though when you come face to face with a ladyboy.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Moon
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:46 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Awwww that's cruel.

I would've thought, as they are qualified and young, wouldn't Australia be the place to look at? And such a diverse country too.

I would've said Canada too but the poster was "off" Canada I think.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

So bigoted and narrow-minded, yet so young...
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:51 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Awwww that's cruel.

I would've thought, as they are qualified and young, wouldn't Australia be the place to look at? And such a diverse country too.

I would've said Canada too but the poster was "off" Canada I think.
surely not Oz, there are gay people there ....
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
surely not Oz, there are gay people there ....
You don't think they'd love the Sydney Mardi Gras?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:54 am

I forgot about that
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:55 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Not one to split hairs, but isn't oppressive liberalism an oxymoron?

Maybe the political terminology is just more precise than I am?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:22 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Try the Moon
Funny Enough I was going to suggest inventing a Delorean Time Machine and try london in the Dark Ages.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting........... "This one will run and run", say the critics.

Wim, you're talking about actually emigrating, not just going to live overseas for a few years? Forget Abu Dhabi then (as someone suggested), and all Middle East countries (you'll get a 'Resident Visa' if you get a job out here, but nothing more).

What are you running away from? If I didn't like, say, the morals or permissiveness of my country, I'd try to change it. At least in the UK (for all its faults) you are free to speak out against anything you don't like.

But anyway............ to respond to just two of your list:

Greece - dire economic situation? Yes, but that could also be an opportunity (benefit from the cash injection about to come from British taxpa.... er, I mean the EU Emergency Fund)?

New Zealand? AVOID. Kiwis are the only people I have ever come across who hated me purely because of the name of the country written on my passport, rather than anything offensive about me personally. And with some of your attitudes, you'll get hammered...............

More later..................

By the way - I totally agree with you about racism against whites. It happens all the time. It's just 'not the done thing' to mention it.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, Wim............ do you regard yourselves as Christians?

Just wondering.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:15 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by The Dean
By the way, Wim............ do you regard yourselves as Christians?

Just wondering.
course they do, got that feeling immediately
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

course they do, got that feeling immediately
........ but with a truck-load of non-Christian sentiments..........
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:50 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodness me, you certainly have along thought out list of what you want/don't want which may somewhat limit you.

I've lived in NZ for nearly 4 years and find it pretty laid back, no one cares enough to force their views down your throat, but it can be pretty racist. Between the Maori and Pakeha (White Europeans).

I was interested in your desire to adopt, and yet don't approve of babies born out of wedlock?

I was adopted 40 (21 + gst) years ago, for the very reason that I was born out of wedlock and my birth mother's mother couldn't handle the embarrassment. She was a single unmarried woman and it was frowned upon then. She felt she had no choice in the end but to give me up for adoption as her family were going to disown her. It's been a pretty shit thing to grow up knowing, I've met my birth mother and she never got over it either. I don't necessarily disagree with adoption these days, but I'd seriously disagree with the attitude of frowning upon women who get pregnant "out of wedlock."

I have 2 children who were born before me and their Dad got married and we then went on to have 2 more children after we were married. The 2 eldest are no different socially or emotionally or psychologically then the 2 youngest.

Your views have confused me as they seem contradictory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.