Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

really got to get home.........

really got to get home.........

Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

missingthemoors will become famous soon enoughmissingthemoors will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: really got to get home.........

Hi there, so sorry its taken me so long to reply to all your helpful info.
I really am new to this, plus I don't have my own computer .... true!!
By the time I get to ne I've forgotten what to do again - anyway.....

I found all your advice interesting and helpful and I really need all the help I can get. I KNOW where I would like to live but with very limited funds (I shall have to rent), either Cornwall, Devon or somewhere south close to the sea. I know thats very vague but I've been to the Penzance area (Newlyn) and I really liked it. I don't care about a fancy place BUT
it must have a garden where I can 'potter' around and enjoy nature.
I'm saving up to go to the same area next year for a holiday - any ideas for starting to bring my dream closer??? If I cant afford to live there, then the Peak District (where I lived previous to Canada) would be next choice? - albeit that I have one.

And, Barnstaple, I would love to meet for a cream tea - count me in!!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

missingthemoors will become famous soon enoughmissingthemoors will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: really got to get home.........

[QUOTE=missingthemoors;9491586]Hi there, so sorry its taken me so long to reply to all your helpful info.
I really am new to this, plus I don't have my own computer .... true!!
By the time I get to ne I've forgotten what to do again - anyway.....

I found all your advice interesting and helpful and I really need all the help I can get. I KNOW where I would like to live but with very limited funds (I shall have to rent), either Cornwall, Devon or somewhere south close to the sea. I know thats very vague but I've been to the Penzance area (Newlyn) and I really liked it. I don't care about a fancy place BUT
it must have a garden where I can 'potter' around and enjoy nature.
I'm saving up to go to the same area next year for a holiday - any ideas for starting to bring my dream closer??? If I cant afford to live there, then the Peak District (where I lived previous to Canada) would be next choice? - albeit that I have one.

And, Barnstaple, I would love to meet for a cream tea - count me in!!

Sylvia
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: really got to get home.........

Hi, we were desperate to return to Cornwall but as you say property prices suck. this is what we have done, we have bought a mundic house ( mundic is a Cornish word which implies the builders years ago added inferior stuff to the concrete for economic reasons resulting in houses that are inferior) We bought a 2 bedroomed house, double glazed, central heated and a sun room for 90 thousand pounds, we are speneding 15 grand on it to get it how we want it. This house has been standing for 100 years so we are confident it will still be standing once we are gone ! One drawback, they can only be bought for cash and do not go up significantly in value ! My son is in the trade and has said we did good, so we are very happy. Not sure if this helps, but it was a viab;e option for us. ( read up mundic on google, Im not technically minded )
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:10 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: really got to get home.........

Originally Posted by judes
Hi, we were desperate to return to Cornwall but as you say property prices suck. this is what we have done, we have bought a mundic house ( mundic is a Cornish word which implies the builders years ago added inferior stuff to the concrete for economic reasons resulting in houses that are inferior) We bought a 2 bedroomed house, double glazed, central heated and a sun room for 90 thousand pounds, we are speneding 15 grand on it to get it how we want it. This house has been standing for 100 years so we are confident it will still be standing once we are gone ! One drawback, they can only be bought for cash and do not go up significantly in value ! My son is in the trade and has said we did good, so we are very happy. Not sure if this helps, but it was a viab;e option for us. ( read up mundic on google, Im not technically minded )
Kind of you to post that, cheers ... wouldn't mind looking into that myself.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by christian
Yes, but in Devon, at least they'll sell to the English ... whereas in deepest darkest Cornwall, they want to see your birth-cert. as Cornish before they bring out the good stuff! ...
I meant to comment on this before, but got side tracked, it so sums up up us Cornish !!
You crack me up me hansom !!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christian
Kind of you to post that, cheers ... wouldn't mind looking into that myself.
I should have said, a "mundic" is considerably cheaper then a "normal" property, we could NEVER have afforded a property in Cornwall, we invested money to ensure we could always do so, but inflation killed us big time,
so happy my son suggested this option. We are going to have a lovely home, and if family cant sell it easily after we have gone, well they can rent it out. Our other choice was to rent, this works far better for us