Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Not an expat, but curious about travelling.

Not an expat, but curious about travelling.

Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:53 am
Just Joined

AbsurdityOfReality is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Not an expat, but curious about travelling.

I'm 16, and have recently finished high school, I should hopefully be going to college. I like travelling and seeing new places, which I don't get to do often. Infact I could honestly say I don't think I've been more than 50 miles away from my house in 5 years. Anyway, I went to NYC when I was 11 (the last time I travelled far) and I loved it there, it was so out of the ordinary for me, the small-town English kid. (I bet you can tell where this is going!) I'd like to return, not really to NYC specifically, but I suppose if my options are limited then I wouldn't mind the adventure anyway.

I'm not sure whether to continue here, or create another thread in the proper forum. But anyway, there's my introduction.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not an expat, but curious about travelling.

to BE.

You don't say whether you want to travel for vacations or move to another country permanently. As you are 16 your options will be very limited at present. Perhaps you have more of a long term plan in mind.

We have a Youth Club forum just for teenagers to use.

Whatever you wish to do...I wish you luck.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

You're right, this is just a place to introduce yourself. Worth checking out the US immigration forums.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

That covers the basic ways into the US, but you're young, get a degree, look at doing an exchange course in the middle of it with a place in the US, plan for summer camp, BUNAC type things. It won't be something quick, but you can get glimpses of life here and have a long term plan in place to get here if that's what you still end up wanting to do
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Welcome to BE. I would reiterate Bob's comments. Look at Bunac, it's a great way to experience the US.

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workamerica/
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

AbsurdityOfReality is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
to BE.

You don't say whether you want to travel for vacations or move to another country permanently. As you are 16 your options will be very limited at present. Perhaps you have more of a long term plan in mind.

We have a Youth Club forum just for teenagers to use.

Whatever you wish to do...I wish you luck.
I'm looking at a more long term thing, once I'm done with education. I'll make a more detailed thread over there. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Bob
Welcome to BE and good luck!

You're right, this is just a place to introduce yourself. Worth checking out the US immigration forums.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

That covers the basic ways into the US, but you're young, get a degree, look at doing an exchange course in the middle of it with a place in the US, plan for summer camp, BUNAC type things. It won't be something quick, but you can get glimpses of life here and have a long term plan in place to get here if that's what you still end up wanting to do
Just quickly read throught that page, looks like I'll have a pretty steep hill to climb.

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi

Welcome to BE. I would reiterate Bob's comments. Look at Bunac, it's a great way to experience the US.

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workamerica/
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later on.