Not an Expat

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not an Expat

Originally Posted by Marsan
I'm American but a bit of an Anglophile. On the show Scott & Bailey, can you tell me what you call that accent that they have in the Manchester area? It is really pleasant to the ear and I am curious because the three female leading actresses I believe are from the London area, so they must have to mimic that accent. BTW.....British women in today's world are "Knock Down Gorgeous."
It is a variation of the Lancashire dialect thet they speak
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Marsan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE Marsan.

From another Scott and Bailey fan. Suranne Jones is a great actress...don't think I've ever seen her in a program I didn't enjoy. The dry wit and sarcastic banter that goes on between the 3 woman is excellent...especially when it comes from the DCI.
Hi: I'm new to this forum so I don't know if you are in the US or UK. In my wildest dreams, I never thought I'd ever be hooked on any TV show, but "Hooked" I am! Actually, its two! Downton Abbey which everyone on the planet is hooked on, and Scott and Bailey. Aside from sports, news, and documentaries; Public Television is all that I watch, and all of the British and Australian TV shows are telecast on Public Television.

Suranne Jones, Amelia Bullmore, Lesley Sharp, Michelle Dockery, JoAnne Froggatt, and Essie Davis are not only fantastic actresses but also very easy on the eyes!
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi: I'm new to this forum so I don't know if you are in the US or UK. In my wildest dreams, I never thought I'd ever be hooked on any TV show, but "Hooked" I am! Actually, its two! Downton Abbey which everyone on the planet is hooked on, and Scott and Bailey. Aside from sports, news, and documentaries; Public Television is all that I watch, and all of the British and Australian TV shows are telecast on Public Television.

Suranne Jones, Amelia Bullmore, Lesley Sharp, Michelle Dockery, JoAnne Froggatt, and Essie Davis are not only fantastic actresses but also very easy on the eyes!
I'm a Brit...moved to NJ in 1996. Have been in Toronto for the last year or so.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:23 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE Marsan.

From another Scott and Bailey fan. Suranne Jones is a great actress...don't think I've ever seen her in a program I didn't enjoy. The dry wit and sarcastic banter that goes on between the 3 woman is excellent...especially when it comes from the DCI.
I love the DCI! When she asks her staff to "please teleport yourself back into the room!" Must watch the whole lot again!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

I'm curious. NJ, USA to Toronto, Canada after quite a spell. Do you like Canada? I spend a lot of time playing golf in Canada. Quebec Province usually because of the great food! Montreal is great, like NYC! Quebec city and environs can be be a bit............(Unfriendly to English speakers.)
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 3:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are plenty of English accents that I think are gorgeous, but I'm afraid Mancunian isn't among them, and it's not an accent that us Brits think of as 'lovely'. ......
I am from Sheffield, across the Pennines east of Manchester, and I have a residual Sheffield accent, with flattened vowels. Although my family left there when I was eight years old, I picked up no hint of the local accents from ten years in Glaw-ster, nor from fifteen years in Landan.

So for me, one of the pleasures of living in the US, is that gooey-eyed women still tell me on a weekly basis that they just luuurve my accent. I appear to have experienced the opposite problem in London.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2015 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Yes, if truth be known, many Americans really like any type of British accent. Whenever I hear an English gal speak, I get the "Whips & Jingles." Very sexy!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So for me, one of the pleasures of living in the US, is that gooey-eyed women still tell me on a weekly basis that they just luuurve my accent. I appeared to have the opposite problem in London.
Is that why you moved, so that your accent would magically become attractive?! Could be worse, it could be a Brummie or Liverpudlian accent.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Is that why you moved, so that your accent would magically become attractive?! .....
No, but I would have spent a lot more time on holiday here when I was younger, with a view to moving here sooner, if I had known back then how my accent would be received.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

I am without question, a man who has an abundant amount of pride, ego, self control, and self esteem. That being said, I know that if I ever came into contact with a woman who spoke and conducted herself like Lady Mary Crawley on Downton Abbey, I would be stuttering, drooling down my shirt, and wetting my "Snuggies" all at the same time! So there you have it......My Fantasy!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:14 pm

I am without question, a man who has an abundant amount of pride, ego, self control, and self esteem. That being said, I know that if I ever came into contact with a woman who spoke and conducted herself like Lady Mary Crawley on Downton Abbey, I would be stuttering, drooling down my shirt, and wetting my "Snuggies" all at the same time! So there you have it......My Fantasy!
My wife is from Virginia.