Not an Expat

Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Marsan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not an Expat

I'm American but a bit of an Anglophile. On the show Scott & Bailey, can you tell me what you call that accent that they have in the Manchester area? It is really pleasant to the ear and I am curious because the three female leading actresses I believe are from the London area, so they must have to mimic that accent. BTW.....British women in today's world are "Knock Down Gorgeous."
Old Jun 21st 2015, 8:43 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not an Expat

Hello and welcome to the forum

No idea about the show. Why don't you ask over in the USA section of the forum? You can follow the link below:
USA - British Expats
Old Jun 21st 2015, 11:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of that tv program, but somebody from Manchester simply has a Mancunian accent. It's not normally one that's described as 'pleasant to the ear' though!

Welcome to BE.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 8:55 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

It's on Netflix, really good series. It's just a typical Manchester accent, known to some as a Manky accent
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've never heard of that tv program, but somebody from Manchester simply has a Mancunian accent. It's not normally one that's described as 'pleasant to the ear' though!

Welcome to BE.
Perhaps you being English, feel that only English spoken by your "Royal Family" and the like, is something to be admired. Americans actually enjoy listening to the many different British dialects, and; as with many things in life today, anything which has a connection to the "everyday common man" is usually the most popular.

That British TV program (Red Production Company) that you have never heard of, happens to be one of the most popular television series in the United States which is not exactly what one would consider a small entertainment marketplace.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 1:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marsan
Perhaps you being English, feel that only English spoken by your "Royal Family" and the like, is something to be admired. Americans actually enjoy listening to the many different British dialects, and; as with many things in life today, anything which has a connection to the "everyday common man" is usually the most popular.

That British TV program (Red Production Company) that you have never heard of, happens to be one of the most popular television series in the United States which is not exactly what one would consider a small entertainment marketplace.
There are plenty of English accents that I think are gorgeous, but I'm afraid Mancunian isn't among them, and it's not an accent that us Brits think of as 'lovely'. The nickname above 'Manky accent' seems quite apt to me! I'm from Birmingham so I'm the first to say that some parts of the UK have just awful accents.

As for the tv program, I don't know why you think that it being popular in the US should mean I've heard of it. I don't live there, and it's not something I've heard of in the UK I'm afraid, but there's really no need to jump down my throat for that fact!

So, once again, welcome to BE. And perhaps bear in mind that Brits love a bit of sarcasm, so you'll get plenty of it on this forum, but really don't take it personally or be so defensive.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

There are plenty of English accents that I think are gorgeous, but I'm afraid Mancunian isn't among them, and it's not an accent that us Brits think of as 'lovely'. The nickname above 'Manky accent' seems quite apt to me! I'm from Birmingham so I'm the first to say that some parts of the UK have just awful accents.

As for the tv program, I don't know why you think that it being popular in the US should mean I've heard of it. I don't live there, and it's not something I've heard of in the UK I'm afraid, but there's really no need to jump down my throat for that fact!

So, once again, welcome to BE. And perhaps bear in mind that Brits love a bit of sarcasm, so you'll get plenty of it on this forum, but really don't take it personally or be so defensive.
Thank you. I can assure you that sarcasm and British is well known and understood over here. In light of that: "Turnabout is fair play."
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

In light of that: "Turnabout is fair play."
Well, you're certainly testing my Google skills if nothing else. I now know that's an American idiom, and have learnt a new phrase today.

I've also Googled the tv program, and it turns out that the two main characters are played by actresses who come from Manchester.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

OK. You see? I knew we'd get there eventually. I could tell by your replies that you were a "Stand Up Guy." (I'm afraid you'll have to "Google" that one too. (Just trying to assist in broadening your horizon. (lol)

Thanks for the info. I really love that show.

BTW, Even though I am a Flag Waving Conservative American Viet Nam Combat Vet, I really am an "Anglophile." My Mother was as English as " A Cheddar and Onion Sandwich." I am an AVID golfer and play frequently with British Expats! (We have a lot of them here as my town of Huntington on Long Island , is 35 miles east of Mid-Town NYC on Long Island Sound.) I joined the forum because many times I have a question about something "British" which the UK fellows who are on my Golf Forum haven't got a clue about! Thanks again!
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

OK. You see? I knew we'd get there eventually. I could tell by your replies that you were a "Stand Up Guy."
Ahem. Note the pink icon next to my name.

BTW, Even though I am a Flag Waving Conservative American Viet Nam Combat Vet, I really am an "Anglophile." My Mother was as English as " A Cheddar and Onion Sandwich."
Cheddar and onion?!? Bleurgh. That's not English! Cheddar and pickle perhaps.

I joined the forum because many times I have a question about something "British" which the UK fellows who are on my Golf Forum haven't got a clue about! Thanks again!
You're bound to find someone on the forum who knows the answer to whatever your questions are. Although if the golfers you play with are Brits and don't know, it may just be a few of our brainier forum members that can help you out with them!
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Ahem. Note the pink icon next to my name.

Cheddar and onion?!? Bleurgh. That's not English! Cheddar and pickle perhaps.

You're bound to find someone on the forum who knows the answer to whatever your questions are. Although if the golfers you play with are Brits and don't know, it may just be a few of our brainier forum members that can help you out with them!

OOPS! Sorry about the gender faux pas! as to Cheddar and Onion: Agatha used to refer to them frequently. My Mom loved them as do I!!
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Agatha used to refer to them frequently. My Mom loved them as do I!!
Agatha? Where was your mum (mom) from?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

I was referring to Agatha Christie. I have read everything that she ever wrote (At the suggestion of my Mother) and she is in my opinion one of the best writers to have ever picked up a pen. She refers to Cheddar and Onion sandwiches and a pint in many of her books.

I must clarify my statement about my Mother being English. My Mother was born in Baltimore Maryland, USA. She was descended from the first settlers from England who settled in the Chesapeake Bay area of Maryland on Bloodsworth Island in what is referred to now as Maryland's Eastern Shore. The family names are Bloodsworth and White on my Mother's side.

My Mother was a school teacher in her younger years, and I can remember her always saying, "As anyone who knows me will tell you, I do not discriminate against any race, religion, or creed; but I thank God every day of my life, that I was born a White Anglo Saxon Protestant!" WASP (You can Google that one also) (LOL) The irony of that is that my Father was an aviation engineer born in the Philippines. His Graduate and Post Graduate Degrees however were attained in the USA, and he and went on to a very successful business career. We had a home in Manila, Zurich, and here in NY. I was fortunate to have traveled the world, and made many visits to the UK.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was referring to Agatha Christie. I have read everything that she ever wrote (At the suggestion of my Mother) and she is in my opinion one of the best writers to have ever picked up a pen. She refers to Cheddar and Onion sandwiches and a pint in many of her books.
Ah, that Agatha. She's one of my favourites, I've read all her books too. Just finished the new 'Agatha Christie' (Poirot) novel in fact, it was surprisingly good considering somebody else wrote it!

Although I have to confess I don't recall ever seeing a mention of a cheddar and onion sandwich in any of them.......I will have to grab one from my shelves and flick through. It's certainly not a sandwich combo that I'd say is common in the UK. So you were right the first time - your mother is as English as one!

Sounds like you've had a very interesting upbringing, hope you continue to travel to the UK and enjoy holidays here.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Marsan.

From another Scott and Bailey fan. Suranne Jones is a great actress...don't think I've ever seen her in a program I didn't enjoy. The dry wit and sarcastic banter that goes on between the 3 woman is excellent...especially when it comes from the DCI.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.