Reload this Page >

Newbie Seeking Advice

Newbie Seeking Advice

Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

lufc-1919 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie Seeking Advice

Hi all, happy new year.

My name is Matt, and i'm from the North West.

Just after a bit of advice really.

I've had the desire now for a good few years to try finding work and moving abroad somewhere. I've recently turned 30, and just don't won't to look back in a few years time and have regrets about not trying something new.

I'm married so my mrs would be coming along too and she is all for it. Also, I own an apartment which I plan to rent out if I am lucky enough to find a job in another country.

As for locations, I am trying to keep it pretty open at the moment but I know some places will be more difficult than others.

I really want to keep my options open, and my reason for looking to move away is give me, my mrs and potential family options for the future.

I'd be happy with any of the following, but open to suggestions.

Australia
New Zealand
Singapore
Dubai
Abu Dhabi
Qatar
Canada

What I am struggling with is, how to approach things. Ideally I am trying to secure work beforehand, but should I be looking at work that offers visa / relocation sponsorship, or should I be applying for visa's beforehand?

I have over 10 years experience working in IT and I'm currently employed as a Technical Manager for a construction firm. I have worked with assorts in IT, in a variety of different roles.

Has anyone gone through this recently? I just need to get the ball rolling now!

Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:52 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Seeking Advice

The first place to start is seeing if you can get valid residency/work authorization in any of those countries.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lufc-1919
What I am struggling with is, how to approach things. Ideally I am trying to secure work beforehand, but should I be looking at work that offers visa / relocation sponsorship, or should I be applying for visa's beforehand?
It will depend on the country, and their immigration routes - obviously each will be different and for some you'd need a job offer to get a visa, for others you may get a visa first and then be free to search for work.

Just as an example, there are over 50 visa routes in to Canada alone, so as you can imagine, you're probably talking about hundreds of options! There's no quick or easy way to do it, but you'll need to research.

Maybe start by narrowing it down to two or three countries that you really want to live in so that you've got a smaller list, and then researching the visa options for each one to see where you may be able to get in to.

The Wiki (blue bar at top of page) has loads of info in, the Canadian section is brilliant and should answer most of your questions if you decide that Canada is one of the countries you want to focus on.

Maybe see you in the Canada forums sometime!

Good luck and welcome to BE.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice guys.

I agree, I do need to narrow it down to a couple of choices.

I have visited a few of the countries I have listed and done a bit of research on the lifestyle of them. For the ones I haven't, I would of course do some investigation and possibly visit them if I can.

I just want to give myself as many options as possible.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 9:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Check out the ME section, there's a good bunch of info in the wiki as well as in the forum about life out there....though it's a case of who you know realistically because the job situation is a bit poo out there....and you'd need niche skills because you'd be competing against the sub-continent who'll have more experience than you, more qualifications than you and will work for peanuts that you'd not be able to live on....though things might pick up in Qatar, though reading the threads, not for a while yet because they're slow to pull fingers out and actually get going for this world cup as they're still talking about contracts for projects.

The visa situation at least is easy.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Welcome to BE and good luck!

Check out the ME section, there's a good bunch of info in the wiki as well as in the forum about life out there....though it's a case of who you know realistically because the job situation is a bit poo out there....and you'd need niche skills because you'd be competing against the sub-continent who'll have more experience than you, more qualifications than you and will work for peanuts that you'd not be able to live on....though things might pick up in Qatar, though reading the threads, not for a while yet because they're slow to pull fingers out and actually get going for this world cup as they're still talking about contracts for projects.

The visa situation at least is easy.
Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it :-)
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:26 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Bob. Check out the ME section and maybe post a few questions on there. Don't be shy. We've all been there, done this

It's a difficult time economically worldwide so it's a bit of a tough one, but I would've thought that Qatar and Abu Dhabi would be good bets. Worth a try anyway.

From what I've heard, Singapore is a bit tricky at the moment. It's a great place and economically right up there at the top of the league but there are "politics" there at the moment and the gov is trying to keep the locals happy and not import too many expats currently. It'll probably all turn around again in the future though. It usually does. Anyways.... feel free to have a browse through the Singapore forum and post some questions on there.... and any of the other forums come to that.

All the best with your planning
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Agree with Bob. Check out the ME section and maybe post a few questions on there. Don't be shy. We've all been there, done this

It's a difficult time economically worldwide so it's a bit of a tough one, but I would've thought that Qatar and Abu Dhabi would be good bets. Worth a try anyway.

From what I've heard, Singapore is a bit tricky at the moment. It's a great place and economically right up there at the top of the league but there are "politics" there at the moment and the gov is trying to keep the locals happy and not import too many expats currently. It'll probably all turn around again in the future though. It usually does. Anyways.... feel free to have a browse through the Singapore forum and post some questions on there.... and any of the other forums come to that.

All the best with your planning
Cheers guys

I have a friend in Singapore. He works for BT and managed to get posted out there.

Obviously i'm doing it for the right reasons, and not just wanting to move to get away from the UK. It more to see what else is out there and give me options for the future.

Also in contact with an old work colleague who has moved out to qatar. He's managed to get him self a good package (Job,Visa, Accommodation etc)

Thanks again.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:43 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lufc

Welcome to BE from me too.
Good on you for going after what you want, so let's hope this is the start of a wonderful adventure for you and your OH.

I see you have already been given some very good advice in the above posts and started to look at some of the relevant forums, so that's a good place to start.

Enjoy the forums and I wish you all the very best with your plans

Dread - x
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Thanks for the friendly welcomes Rosemary and dreadsoc. I really do appreciate the advice, and look forward to making use of the forum.

Managed to get a couple of contacts in recruitment, so fingers cross :thumb up:

Regards

Matt