Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Newbie; Going to spend 12months in USA

Newbie; Going to spend 12months in USA

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

od6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really nice
Default Newbie; Going to spend 12months in USA

Hello all,
We're off to Minnesota, USA for a year, starting in mid-April.
I'll be going as a student so don't think Visa will be a problem (!) and will definitely be coming back so won't be looking to acquire citizenship.

Am starting to get very stressed about the little details though...
Banking, finding and furnishing a house, coming back to the UK, tax implications etc etc and all the other stuff I haven't yet realised will be a problem.

Excited though! Going to be a lot of fun for our little family.

Any advice or reassurance gratefully received.
O
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie; Going to spend 12months in USA

Originally Posted by od6600
Hello all,
We're off to Minnesota, USA for a year, starting in mid-April.
I'll be going as a student so don't think Visa will be a problem (!) and will definitely be coming back so won't be looking to acquire citizenship.

Am starting to get very stressed about the little details though...
Banking, finding and furnishing a house, coming back to the UK, tax implications etc etc and all the other stuff I haven't yet realised will be a problem.

Excited though! Going to be a lot of fun for our little family.

Any advice or reassurance gratefully received.
O
Hi there and welcome.

Be warned...when you move for a year or so you tend to get sucked into things. We moved to the US for a year or two...15 years ago...how the years have flown by. Seriously...it's a great experience for you and your family.

Please take time to take a look at the BE Wiki...there's loads of information in there.

I see you have already started posting in the US forum...should you need help finding your way around the rest of the site...we have a team of concierges that will act as your guide. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui. Although you can contact any mod or admin...there is usually one of us around 24/7.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time with us.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 9:01 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we moved over because of a chance given to us by my husbands employers. I had no previous desire to emigrate - just couldnt say no to an all expenses paid opportunity. I had not even been to America before either lol. We thought we would go and see how we liked it. Now we are almost here 4 years - now have green cards and have added another child (a little dual American/British citizen) to the family). and have no plans to return.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 9:13 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

You will find lots of info here, we are all really great at sharing info about living here.

I'm sure it will be a great adventure for you.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Hi there - I'm in Minneapolis, along with what seems like a billion other Brits, so if you need any help, just shout
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

od6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really niceod6600 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MsElui
we moved over because of a chance given to us by my husbands employers. I had no previous desire to emigrate - just couldnt say no to an all expenses paid opportunity. I had not even been to America before either lol. We thought we would go and see how we liked it. Now we are almost here 4 years - now have green cards and have added another child (a little dual American/British citizen) to the family). and have no plans to return.
If I'm still there in 4 years I promise to post accordingly! I've never been over for more than a fortnight, and only to standard tourist spots, so really looking forward to seeing a bit more of the 'real' America.
BTW; One of my good friends was born in the USA but having lived all his life in the UK pretty much forgot about it. Now mid-thirties, he recently found out he owes the IRS $$$$. Worth reminding your little one in a few years...
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by taffie77
Hi there - I'm in Minneapolis, along with what seems like a billion other Brits, so if you need any help, just shout
Will do! What sort of temp should we expect in April? We'll be just down the road in Rochester. I'm assuming the snow will have gone by then!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Will do! What sort of temp should we expect in April? We'll be just down the road in Rochester. I'm assuming the snow will have gone by then!
Historically the only 2 months it has never snowed in Minnesota are July & August, so expect anything

We arrived last April, and were spoilt as it was 20c and didn't get colder than that until September. We were a bit caught out as we packed clothes for spring, rather than lighter clothing. But we are having a hard winter, and the latest prediction is that the freeze will continue through April. So, wait and see really!
There is a British group that meet up for Brunch every month (first Sunday), so if you feel the need you can always combine that with a weekend trip to the Twin Cities
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Historically the only 2 months it has never snowed in Minnesota are July & August, so expect anything

We arrived last April, and were spoilt as it was 20c and didn't get colder than that until September. We were a bit caught out as we packed clothes for spring, rather than lighter clothing. But we are having a hard winter, and the latest prediction is that the freeze will continue through April. So, wait and see really!
There is a British group that meet up for Brunch every month (first Sunday), so if you feel the need you can always combine that with a weekend trip to the Twin Cities
I think I'm going to find the sight of snow weird, when it's not accompanied by travel chaos and days off work!

That's good to know about the brunch; kids allowed I presume?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think I'm going to find the sight of snow weird, when it's not accompanied by travel chaos and days off work!

That's good to know about the brunch; kids allowed I presume?
Yes, of course.

This is where we usually go, mainly to satisfy craving for proper bacon, beans and black/white pudding

You can join the Yahoo group here, and/or the Facebook group here.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Yes, of course.

This is where we usually go, mainly to satisfy craving for proper bacon, beans and black/white pudding

You can join the Yahoo group here, and/or the Facebook group here.
Black pudding yes; white pudding I'm prepared to leave in the UK!
Finally got the paperwork through from our sponsor today so have an idea of the process involved to get to the J1.
Countdown has started! (just don't know how long it is yet....)