Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Moving abroad near a ski area

Moving abroad near a ski area

Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Suet14 is just really niceSuet14 is just really niceSuet14 is just really niceSuet14 is just really niceSuet14 is just really niceSuet14 is just really niceSuet14 is just really niceSuet14 is just really nice
Question Moving abroad near a ski area

Hi everyone,

I have just joined this site as I need some inspiration!!. Me and my husband to be (in 6 weeks) want to emigrate from the UK in a couple of years. We are both in our early 40's, have no children by choice, and currently work in the finance sector. We love skiing and try to go every year. We have been to Europe, Canada and America.

The main things we are looking for is:

To live near a fairly big attractive town, with bars and restaurants and things to do.
To live either in a ski resort or at least fairly nearby
To live somewhere that has proper seasons so snow in the winter and warm in the summer.
It would also be nice to be near lakes or rivers.

What we would like to do over the coming couple of years is use our holidays to check out a prospective areas. This is where the problem lies as we do not know where to look. We are open to any ideas people may have. We did think of Italy, France, Canada etc. Obviously we understand that if we choose Italy or France there could be language issues (I dont think Im very good at languages!!) and if we choose Canada/USA we would need to look into the visa requirements for emigrating.

Work wise we would look to do some sort of project for ourselves, such as running a B&B or ski chalet or similar. Again we are open to ideas.

I'd be grateful to any inspiration anyone has as to where to look or if anyone currently lives in an areas like this. We are just looking for a different way of life.

Thank you for any help you can give
Sue
Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:44 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving abroad near a ski area

Hi Sue and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including all the countries you have listed can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

The USA and Canada seem to me to be mighty complicated/difficult to enter, not that I'd put you off trying. There is also skiing in Australia. Did you know that? I had no idea until I moved here. If you can find your way into the immigration sections of the various country's forums, post in each of them for the relevant answers that you want. If you can't find them, give me a hoy.

Alistair.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suet14
Hi everyone,

I have just joined this site as I need some inspiration!!. Me and my husband to be (in 6 weeks) want to emigrate from the UK in a couple of years. We are both in our early 40's, have no children by choice, and currently work in the finance sector. We love skiing and try to go every year. We have been to Europe, Canada and America.

The main things we are looking for is:

To live near a fairly big attractive town, with bars and restaurants and things to do.
To live either in a ski resort or at least fairly nearby
To live somewhere that has proper seasons so snow in the winter and warm in the summer.
It would also be nice to be near lakes or rivers.

What we would like to do over the coming couple of years is use our holidays to check out a prospective areas. This is where the problem lies as we do not know where to look. We are open to any ideas people may have. We did think of Italy, France, Canada etc. Obviously we understand that if we choose Italy or France there could be language issues (I dont think Im very good at languages!!) and if we choose Canada/USA we would need to look into the visa requirements for emigrating.

Work wise we would look to do some sort of project for ourselves, such as running a B&B or ski chalet or similar. Again we are open to ideas.

I'd be grateful to any inspiration anyone has as to where to look or if anyone currently lives in an areas like this. We are just looking for a different way of life.

Thank you for any help you can give
Sue

Hi there Sue...welcome to BE. Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.

From what the information you've given us I would say a move to the US is very unlikely. Take a read through this...if you don't fit into one of the categories moving to the US is not in your future I'm afraid. Canada may work...I suggest you repost in our Canada forums...the regular members who post in there are very helpful and I'm sure they'll do their best to answer your questions.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will be pleased to help you.

For any other problems please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.

Edit: Sorry I see you've already posted in the Canada forum.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 21st 2010 at 3:21 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 9:20 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue

I see you have already found the Canada forum, where I am sure you wll find the answers you need from some of the good folks who post on there.
That just leaves me to say welcome to BE, and hope you find the inspiration and information to fulfil your dream.

Dread - x
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Have you thought about Austria? It's part of the EU and language isn't a problem in the ski resorts, you've got St Anton, which is a small village, as in a 5 minute walk across it, but it is lovely and the skiing is brilliant and also busy in summer with hiking and biking. My brother used to work the slopes their and back end of the mountain was a lot cheaper and less touristy.

Also has Kitzbühel which is a fantastic resort and another really nice little town, regular coach network to other towns, near Italy, near airports, great summer hiking and biking scene.

Actually find most of the dolomites to have decent resorts. Gets expensive getting close to Vienna and Salzburg though, but rest of the country isn't to bad.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Suet14 & welcome to BE! The valley that I live in may tick some of the items on your list ... it has access to at least 5 ski resorts within a couple hours drive, plenty of lakes and hot, dry summers.

Maybe we'll see you around the Canada section of the site.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Sam B 10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving abroad near a ski area

hi Sue, welcome. i'm new to this too..

i travel constantly to Granada Spain and its wonderful. hot summers down by the coast and cool winters up in the mountain ski resort. there are not many bars, restaurants, chalets, etc. so i think there is a lot of potential to start something new there.

i live nearby and travel there quiet a bit. let me know if you need any further info..

S
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 1:51 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi suet14,

Well you've come to the right place, we've got members living all over the world, so I'm sure you will get lots of tips on different areas.

Welcome to BE, we are pleasesd you have joined our little virtual community.

Sue
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:19 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam B 10
hi Sue, welcome. i'm new to this too..

i travel constantly to Granada Spain and its wonderful. hot summers down by the coast and cool winters up in the mountain ski resort. there are not many bars, restaurants, chalets, etc. so i think there is a lot of potential to start something new there.

i live nearby and travel there quiet a bit. let me know if you need any further info..

S
Hi Sam

Welcome to BE to you too, and thank you for posting a helpful reply to another new member.
hope you enjoy your time on BE

Dread - x
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:42 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Suet14 - I'm in Italy and have skied in a few areas around Mont Blanc, both sides of the border. If you want to come over to the Italy forum you would be welcome! We have a lot of members in the Turin area who regularly ski in the nearby resorts in winter, plus members over near the Dolomiti. Welcome to expats and you will be welcome to ask questions over on the Italy forum too!