Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New to the site

New to the site

Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:45 am
Just Joined

targaryen81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the site

Hi, I'm currently living and working in the UK but would eventually like to relocate to another country (perhaps when I retire). Most likely it would be Australia or New Zealand. Just joined up to have a look around and start seeing what's involved for whenever I decide to make the move
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the site

Originally Posted by targaryen81
Hi, I'm currently living and working in the UK but would eventually like to relocate to another country (perhaps when I retire). Most likely it would be Australia or New Zealand. Just joined up to have a look around and start seeing what's involved for whenever I decide to make the move
Hi there and welcome

We have sections dedicated to both countries, so have a look around and shout if you need help
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to look carefully at the requirements needed to retire to either countries, you will need a visa, and the requirements are quite onerous.
Australia.

http://www.skillclear.co.uk/australi...rementVisa.asp

New Zealand

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...ent-visas.html

Both these countries seem to have only temporary visas for retirement, unless you already have close relatives there.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your replies. The main reason I was thinking of waiting until retirement is that I currently work as a full time tutor teaching primary school children, mostly coaching them for their entrance exams into grammar school. I don't know if there's a similar system in Australia or New Zealand so I don't think I could continue doing that.
I did work in IT for 6 years after graduating with a technology based degree so maybe I could look in to that instead (depending on how much demand there is for techies).
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:07 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome to the forum

I'm not clear if you're looking to work or retire abroad. If its work, you'll need a work visa in whichever country.

If its to retire then check which countries have good retirement visas. In SE Asia there are good retirement visas in Malaysia and the Philippines, and Sri Lanka I think. Thailand does a one year renewable visa.

I believe there are a lot of good options in central and South America also. Panama seems to be a popular destination.

All these visas will require certain conditions to be met.

Happy planning
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi
I'm not really sure either way at the moment - I just know that ultimately I'd like to relocate elsewhere. I have a feeling that because of my work it might work out easier to relocate after I retire but I'm just here to check things out and see what the requirements are either way.