British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   New member intro (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/new-member-intro-906694/)

Bigmac49 Dec 9th 2017 1:52 pm

New member intro

Hi everyone,
I currently live in Germany and will now move back to Scotland after 25 year abroad.
I am new to this site and have been looking for posts about getting car insurance, new bank accounts and selecting a reputable removal company.
I can't see to crack the system so I trying through this introduction.
Hoping some experienced members can give me a few tips on where to start.
Thanks in advance

mikelincs Dec 9th 2017 2:02 pm

Re: New member intro

Originally Posted by jmmaclean (Post 12396727)
Hi everyone,
I currently live in Germany and will now move back to Scotland after 25 year abroad.
I am new to this site and have been looking for posts about getting car insurance, new bank accounts and selecting a reputable removal company.
I can't see to crack the system so I trying through this introduction.
Hoping some experienced members can give me a few tips on where to start.
Thanks in advance

Welcome to BE.

Please take a few moments to read the site rules, beige bar at the top, and should you have any site related problems please contact one of our moderators, names in bold at the bottom of each forum page.

You would be better off asking your questions in the 'moving back to the UK' forum here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/

It can be difficult to open a UK bank account from outside the UK, HSBC has been quoted as one where it is possible.

Bigmac49 Dec 9th 2017 2:08 pm

Thank you for your response.
Is there a search function or do I need to trawl through the whole section looking for relevant questions.

Rete Dec 9th 2017 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jmmaclean (Post 12396734)
Thank you for your response.
Is there a search function or do I need to trawl through the whole section looking for relevant questions.

Yes, there is a search function. When you went to the link that Mike gave you for our site rules, there is a link to the search function to the left of it and also one in the blue bar above starting with My Profile. Or just post your own question. Believe me, those questions have all been answered so many times that the members will answer by rote.

If you are having difficulty with navigating the site please reach out to a super moderator for assistance.

Bigmac49 Dec 9th 2017 2:27 pm

thank you for your help, I shall take a look and hopefully see the link. I realise that my questions are pretty standard however for me it is very time consuming looking for reliable and fair companies to del with.

Pulaski Dec 9th 2017 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12396736)
Yes, there is a search function. ....

I always find it to be patchy - it finds some posts/threads, but doesn't always find posts that I know are there, somewhere.

Personally I would recommend investing the time to review the last, say, three pages of threads to look for similar questions and answers. .... That said, I would recommend that questions be asked in a new thread, rather than reactivating an old thread.

.... Believe me, those questions have all been answered so many times that the members will answer by rote. ...
No! Really? :o

Rete Dec 9th 2017 2:53 pm

There is also the shipping forum here: Overseas Removals, Shipping & Storage Advice and Information from Bournes International Moves - British Expats

scot47 Dec 10th 2017 4:36 am

Welcome I just send a message to my fellow-Scot