Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New brit in NYC.. it'll be lonely this christmas.

New brit in NYC.. it'll be lonely this christmas.

Old Dec 16th 2016, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

lrt44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New brit in NYC.. it'll be lonely this christmas.

Hi all,

Moved to NYC in the summer with partner because he got a kick ass job here. Not gonna lie, novelty is wearing off and reality is setting in. It's not the city that I find hard to deal with, it's the loneliness. Our relationship is great but we're finding it hard to meet other couples in their thirties...
Old Dec 16th 2016, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New brit in NYC.. it'll be lonely this christmas.

Welcome to BE!

Good luck with settling in...it can be tough. There have been a lot of threads on the subject though, so you might pick up some ideas of what other folks have done
Old Dec 16th 2016, 10:06 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lrt44
Hi all,

Moved to NYC in the summer with partner because he got a kick ass job here. Not gonna lie, novelty is wearing off and reality is setting in. It's not the city that I find hard to deal with, it's the loneliness. Our relationship is great but we're finding it hard to meet other couples in their thirties...
Hi Irt and welcome to BE.

Your partner's kick-arse job sounds great, but not the loneliness. There's a place on BE's US forum where you can connect with other people wanting to meet up, and also a chat forum where you'll meet some great people, many of whom will have had similar feelings when they moved to the US. You'll find the US forum here USA - British Expats

Hang in there, you've only been there a few months - I bet by this time next year you and your partner will have a great social life! Best wishes.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I think you are very lucky if you move to another country and are not lonely at first, we were the same when we first moved to Aus we were in our 30's and did not know a soul and after having an excellent social life in the UK it was a shock after a while when the first phase of move wears off and you stop to take a breather, give it time, try and do the things you either use to do in your previous life or would like to try in your "new" life, my first Christmas overseas was what made our move seem a "what have we done" when we knew what all our family and friends would be doing "back home" but the New Year came and we joined a few things ie my husband a football club, I went swimming, funnily enough I met most of our new friends just by chatting in local shops my really good friend we met in Target discussing bra sizes lol. You will get there you just have to give it time and try get "out and about". Also as Scouse mentioned join the USA thread. All the best for the holidays
Old Dec 17th 2016, 3:36 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps join

Big Apple Brits | British Expats / Expatriates Community - Anglophiles - Brit Culture (a meet up groups for Brits in NYC)
Old Dec 18th 2016, 11:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary