Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

need YOUR advice, pls - where to land ... ?

need YOUR advice, pls - where to land ... ?

Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

itchy__feet is an unknown quantity at this point
Question need YOUR advice, pls - where to land ... ?

hi !

I need YOUR advice, please.

After thinking about taking the plunge for a number of years now, we've decided that 2013 is the year to go for it.

But … after having researched we're stuck as to where to set down some new roots.

Some background:

> Couple, mid-40s, one professional (IT Management for large corporate, 20 years experience) one homemaker (ex Teacher with over 15 years experience) with one young child (primary school age).

> Looking to relocate permanently to an English-speaking country (Canada, New Zealand, USA, Australia).

Why ? Well, "the grass is greener on the other side" isn't it ? ;-) But, seriously, bit of a rut here … not the quality of life we're looking at for ourselves or our child. Want more space and more time to spend with the family (so looking for better real estate value than in the UK and a slight down-shift in job - so I get to see the wife/kid each day).

What are your experiences ? Bearing in mind our age (may be a barrier for some countries ?), our child (they come first) and the desire for more (real estate space) at a cheaper prices (i.e. want to down-shift a bit) where should we aim for and why ? Canada ? New Zealand ? USA ? Australia ? Other ?

Many thanks for taking the trouble to read this - we'd really like your advice, Itchy__Feet
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need YOUR advice, pls - where to land ... ?

Welcome to BE.

The US is one of the most difficult countries in the world to move to. Plus you want more family time than you get in the UK...so that would definitely rule the US out.

I suggest you take a look down this list...we have forums covering the most popular countries expats move to. Choose the countries you are interested in and take a read through some of the threads...that should give you an idea of what you are in for.

Also take a look at the BE Wiki....loads of information pertaining to moving overseas in there.

Please bear in mind that the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. From a Brit that has lived in the US for 17 years...there is no place like home.

Good luck.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I'd forget the US, because it'll be incredibly tough to get a visa unless you've got a million quid down the back of the sofa or a US citizen parent you've not mentioned.

Canada would be possible, but I'm not sure it's going to get you to where you want to be tbh. Property can be cheaper (depends where you go, some areas are the most expensive real estate in the world), but given it'll cost you £25k or so to get over there, and cost of living is about the same as in the UK, I can't see that it's going to improve your situation financially. It also won't help with time spent at home (usual amount of annual leave in Canada is 10 days).

No idea on NZ or Oz though, so do a bit of research there and you may just find that one of them suits. Although I've got to be honest and say that from what you've said, another area of the UK would probably give you what you're after without costing tens of thousands to get there, and without leaving family/friend/familiarity behind!

As we often say in the Canada forum, move for the love of a country, rather than the perceived negatives of the one you'll leave behind, as you'll find that the same problems are everywhere unfortunately.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

itchy__feet is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks both ! that'll get me started on the right road
Old Dec 31st 2012, 1:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say hello and welcome to the forum. Good advice from Jerseygirl and christmasoompa above.

I can't advise you where to look but just to say that I left UK 7 and a half years ago and, 3 countries later, still don't miss it All the best with your plans. There will be lots of slog to work things out but hopefully you'll find your dream life out there.