Reload this Page >

Moving to the US

Moving to the US

Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Al B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the US

Hi,

I've just signed up to BE. Looks like there is a lot of cool and informative information on here.

I will be moving to the US in the coming months. It is an international transfer with my company and we will be heading to Massachusetts. Not sure on location yet, but am on a home finding trip for the next 2 weeks.

Any recommendations on nice, safe areas?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

There have been quite a few people moving to the state and it's fairly large...so where abouts is work? No point recommending something if you work down town Boston, or out in Worcester etc. Also what's important? Close to work? Public transport? Budget? House or condo? Schools?

If you search BE, you'll see quite a lot to get you started, there's a current thread from yesterday that covers the metrowest area and there have been threads over the summer covering the inside track of the burbs of the metro area as well as other commuter towns.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bob.
I will be working in Mansfield.
Ideally, I want to live somewhere in between Mansfield and Boston, but no more than a 30 minute commute to work.
I've had a look at properties on line and my wife and I prefer the look of the single family homes. Schools not so important at the moment, but could be in a few years time. And obviously a place that has a low crime rate.
Both my wife and myself enjoy the outdoors, so I'm sure there will be plenty to do on that side of things.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 10:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...that's way out there and errr...a bit...errrr....

On the plus side, if you are on the outbound side of I-495 things are a lot cheaper....Wrentham is a shit hole but the outlet shopping mall is one of the best places to go shopping, so check it out for kitchenware, bedding, electronics and clothes etc when you set up...also check out Building 19's for household stuff on the cheap and Big Lots/Ocean States for random households and Brit goods on the cheap.

Foxboro, where the NE Patriots play ain't bad either and there's a decent Brit pub out that way.

Anything from Canton will be a half hour out in...Norfolk, Attleboro, Walpole, Bellingham, Medfield and Holliston are good.

The backroads of Rt 27/16/1 will be pretty quick to get around but a little sucky in the winter. Anything towards I-93 will be a commuter bottleneck, it is the balls of suckage. Anything northbound on I-95 will be a nightmare but southbound won't be bad as you'll be going against the grain of traffic, except on game days and the roads are good in winter.

A 30 min commute can take 2 hrs or more during the snow and if there is a football game on.

There is a commuter rail that goes to Foxboro, no idea about Mansfield or if there's public transport out from there, but that could be a option.

Holliston and those towns around are lovely, good value for money but not much rental stock unless looking for condo's... but not much to do...fairly doable getting into Boston, though realistically you don't want to drive in unless you've got somewhere that can validate the parking as it can easily run you $30-40 a day.

Lot of outdoor stuff, most towns have a beach on a lake for a few weeks in the summer, plenty of river/lake type water sports, trails for hiking/biking and a fair few cross country skiing...regular skiing isn't that far away, though better value in NH. Mendon which isn't far west has a drive in movie theatre which is great during the summer, $20 for a car load of people and two movies, it's a lot of fun.

I'm sure others will be able to help with suggestions going Eastward, but I'm in the burbs and know mostly going westward.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bob,
That'll be useful info to know.

What is the amatuer sport scene like in the US? I play a lot of football and rugby in the UK at weekends, but I think it is not the same set up in the US as it is here?
Just wondered if there was the opportunity to join a team when I get settled in. Would also help with meeting new people as well.

cheers
Al
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:39 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Al

Welcome to BE from me too.
Looks like Bob has given you lots of good advice - and I am sure others will also help once you check out the USA forum.

All the best with your move

Dread - x
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Al B
What is the amatuer sport scene like in the US? I play a lot of football and rugby in the UK at weekends, but I think it is not the same set up in the US as it is here?
Just wondered if there was the opportunity to join a team when I get settled in. Would also help with meeting new people as well.
Check out Boston Brits on Facebook....there's a cricket team, a couple of 5 aside teams and also a few proper leagues.

Rugby is quite popular at the college level and there are leagues around to play, but without the college hook up, I've no idea tbh, though there is a good ladies league.

You'll need to join a team though as you just don't see a pick up game at the parks over here. Down your way, you might have a bit more luck with the Brazilian crowd, but saying that, where I am, it doesn't happen and there's a massive Brazilian population in the area and there's a few footie fields, two in spitting distance of me that have up to 20 pitches, but unless it's a school game or school summer camp program, there is no one that has a knock around on those fields. I've tried, to the point of looking like that creepy bloke