Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Moving to Tenerife

Moving to Tenerife

Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

rachelmeadows is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Tenerife

Ok... SO I'm 32 years old. I have a 2 year old son. I'm a loan parent. I am Irish living in Ireland. I'm on loan parents benefits and studying canine behaviour. There is nothing here in terms of work for me. I want to get off Benefits and work and pay my way. Its a deadly trap and I need to cut loose. To get off benefits in Ireland I would need to earn 3000 euro a month just to pay my rent , bills and a babysitter.

I don't smoke or drink, I run a small car and I have two small dogs.

I'm an artist and can do children's face painting. I can do dog portraits. I have a TEFL cert and I'm a dog trainer. I have a cert in canine first aid and am qualified to teach it. I'm am looking for some of your thoughts and a little info on what a life in Tenerife may offer me.

Does anyone have any idea what the regulations are for face painting on beaches, or in the villages? Or perhaps in hotels? Could I possibly do a combination of all my skills and make enough to pay rent and pay a child minder for when I work? I was hoping to set up some sort of proper business eventually like a canine education and training center with an ethical pet shop that sells just pet food and toys ... no animals. But that would be down the line.

Does anyone have any idea on websites that has info on building rates and rents in Tenerife?

I have always worked my whole life untill 2 years ago. So I really would love to get out of this rat race. I love the out doors. I love spending time with my son. I'm still feeding him. I attachment parent and like the idea of a stiener education?

SO lots of questions.... would love some feed back. However, would rather not have any horrible messages left. I'm looking for some support and help. Thank you.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:19 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Tenerife

Hi Rachel,

Welcome to BE, I hope that you will enjoy being part of our little community.

I can't help with your query as I have never lived in Spain, but we have a busy Spain forum and I'm sure you will pick up a few tips there. The only thing I do know from reading the posts in that section is Spain has been hit very hard by the economic downturn, so it's not an easy place to live and work in presently, especially if one doesn't speak the language etc, so that maybe something for you to consider.

Anyway, take some time and read through the discussions and get to know everyone. Here are some recent threads on Tenerife to start you off:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762551

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754046
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelmeadows
Ok... SO I'm 32 years old. I have a 2 year old son. I'm a loan parent. I am Irish living in Ireland. I'm on loan parents benefits and studying canine behaviour. There is nothing here in terms of work for me. I want to get off Benefits and work and pay my way. Its a deadly trap and I need to cut loose. To get off benefits in Ireland I would need to earn 3000 euro a month just to pay my rent , bills and a babysitter.

I don't smoke or drink, I run a small car and I have two small dogs.

I'm an artist and can do children's face painting. I can do dog portraits. I have a TEFL cert and I'm a dog trainer. I have a cert in canine first aid and am qualified to teach it. I'm am looking for some of your thoughts and a little info on what a life in Tenerife may offer me.

Does anyone have any idea what the regulations are for face painting on beaches, or in the villages? Or perhaps in hotels? Could I possibly do a combination of all my skills and make enough to pay rent and pay a child minder for when I work? I was hoping to set up some sort of proper business eventually like a canine education and training center with an ethical pet shop that sells just pet food and toys ... no animals. But that would be down the line.

Does anyone have any idea on websites that has info on building rates and rents in Tenerife?

I have always worked my whole life untill 2 years ago. So I really would love to get out of this rat race. I love the out doors. I love spending time with my son. I'm still feeding him. I attachment parent and like the idea of a stiener education?

SO lots of questions.... would love some feed back. However, would rather not have any horrible messages left. I'm looking for some support and help. Thank you.

I really hate to sound negative, BUT the Spanish unemployment rate is around 40 - 50% and this is native Spanish. There are NO benefits that you could claim there and the cost of living is higher than mainland Spain. I suspect that your 'canine behaviour' ideas would require you to speak fluent Spanish as I doubt that there are enough Brits or Irish there to give you a required income. You would have to pay for your health care as there is no free health service, and there have been changes recently in the requirements for residency which mean you have to prove enough income and to have organised healthcare.
I know you asked not to get horrible messages, BUT I'm afraid this is just what the requirements are and just what the situaation is over there.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for info to date. @Mikelincs, I dont take offence. Dont worry, But my point was to get off benefits. I don't care about the welfare system over there as I don't plan on getting on it.... if that was the case Id stay here... I want to get off welfare but here in Ireland the cheapest place I can find to live that has a garden of sorts for the dogs and isn't in a horrid giant rough housing estate is 1050 euro a month. My car insurance is 70 a month, my tax is 104 ever 3 months my petrol is 240 a month... all this is before i pay student loan, food, bills, clothing, child stuff.... Are you getting where I'm coming from... I dont party, drink , smoke or do anything crazy and the cost of leaving here is becoming imposible. What i was looking at for the first few year is doing some freelance work in terms of face painting for the tourist kids, hotels and stuff and teaching English. Im also a fluent Italian speaker as I lived there for 6 years. I understand spanish and would pick it up in a few weeks. My dog behaviour stuff would be well well down the line... Im looking for practical info about what the tourist industry is like? Are there alot of kids and kids stuff?

The economic climate is stuffed everywhere but the cost of living definitely is not as crazy as Ireland. I guess I would need to speak to other people that have lived there in Tenerife and know the score.

But thanks for your input.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Thank you