Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi! Been here 24 years and thinking of going back

Hi! Been here 24 years and thinking of going back

Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

mancklin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi! Been here 24 years and thinking of going back

I hesitate to say "going home" because it sounds a bit pathetic after all this time to still think of the UK as home--but there we are, it is still home, and in three years I hope to be able to sell up and leave Brooklyn NY. I still have family in Beverley, E. Yorks and Hull, and that's probably where I'll head when the time is right. Glad I found this forum!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:11 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi! Been here 24 years and thinking of going back

Hi mancklin,

Welcome to our little community. I hope you enjoy being part of it all. You're not the only one who is thinking about moving back, we've got quite a few members in the same boat. Come say hi to them in our Moving Back to The UK forum.

In the meantime if you ever have any questions about how to use any of the bits and bobs on the site, or you have any concerns, suggestions or feedback please give me a shout or post in our Site Feedback site.

Sue
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancklin
I hesitate to say "going home" because it sounds a bit pathetic after all this time to still think of the UK as home--but there we are, it is still home, and in three years I hope to be able to sell up and leave Brooklyn NY. I still have family in Beverley, E. Yorks and Hull, and that's probably where I'll head when the time is right. Glad I found this forum!
Hi there...welcome to BE.

I don't think it sounds pathetic at all...although I've not lived here as long as you (14 yrs) I still think of the UK as home.

Why don't you join us in the US forums? There are quite a few posters who live in NYC and the surrounding areas.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:50 am
Just Joined

jondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant future

I will ALWAYS think of the UK as home. I went back there after 10 years in Oz...stayed for a year and came back to Oz to live again. Now I miss the UK again!!! It is great to have two homes but also frustrating to have feet in two countries as I never feel entirely settled anywhere! When I was in the UK I missed Oz and now I am back in Oz I miss the UK aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!! You will always settle back in the UK - it is inbuilt in you. It felt odd for a month and then I just felt totally at home again! Good luck XX
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

mancklin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jondaz
I will ALWAYS think of the UK as home. I went back there after 10 years in Oz...stayed for a year and came back to Oz to live again. Now I miss the UK again!!! It is great to have two homes but also frustrating to have feet in two countries as I never feel entirely settled anywhere! When I was in the UK I missed Oz and now I am back in Oz I miss the UK aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!! You will always settle back in the UK - it is inbuilt in you. It felt odd for a month and then I just felt totally at home again! Good luck XX
That's absolutely how I feel about it. I'm dying to go back, but I know when I'm there I'll miss friends and routines here and probably be horrified at the way social class permeates everything over there. It's good to know I'm not alone in this perversity. It's a longer commute from where you are!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

tiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nice
Wink Re: Hi! Been here 24 years and thinking of going back

I am from York and I have realised , as someone elso on this site has said, that I don't laugh like I used to anymore. Despite having 2 teenage boys I am quite lonely. I am a retired nurse and will not have much money to return with but I know it will be the right decision. My son's who were born here and are adopted will , i am sure have a hard time but I will try and make it fun. I don' t have any relatives there to help out , but I know I 'm not the only one in the same boat. I would love to live in Devon or Cornwall but I think it will be more realistic for my son's to find job's in the York / Leeds area. I live in SC near Myrtle Beach right now , as I have become older the attraction of laying on the beach in 90 degree humid heat has faded. I am 59 now and if I don't try to return soon. I will regret it. I am looking forward to chatting with everyone . Ta ta for now:
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:49 am
Just Joined

jondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant futurejondaz has a brilliant future

That's absolutely how I feel about it. I'm dying to go back, but I know when I'm there I'll miss friends and routines here and probably be horrified at the way social class permeates everything over there. It's good to know I'm not alone in this perversity. It's a longer commute from where you are!
Haha! Yes, it is a longer commute!! My boyfriend has changed my perception a bit - he says 'it's only a day on a plane' whilst I was always like 'it's a DAY on a plane!!!' What is Brooklyn like??? I went to NYC but not to Brooklyn. I guess we are lucky to have two great countries to call home!!!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tiamobrit1
I am from York and I have realised , as someone elso on this site has said, that I don't laugh like I used to anymore. Despite having 2 teenage boys I am quite lonely. I am a retired nurse and will not have much money to return with but I know it will be the right decision. My son's who were born here and are adopted will , i am sure have a hard time but I will try and make it fun. I don' t have any relatives there to help out , but I know I 'm not the only one in the same boat. I would love to live in Devon or Cornwall but I think it will be more realistic for my son's to find job's in the York / Leeds area. I live in SC near Myrtle Beach right now , as I have become older the attraction of laying on the beach in 90 degree humid heat has faded. I am 59 now and if I don't try to return soon. I will regret it. I am looking forward to chatting with everyone . Ta ta for now:
I find Sky or Foxtel help as you get all the UK documdentaries and comedies but with sunshine outside the window!!! Good luck moving back to the UK
Old Apr 4th 2010, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Fiona Siobhan is an unknown quantity at this point

Manklin,
I've also been here over 20 years, and plan to return.
My daughter did return, and lives in Scarborough, and we have links to Beverly.
She is very knowledgeable on living in the US and returning to the UK, in case you ever need friends to talk to.
All Best
Fiona
Old May 24th 2010, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jondaz
I find Sky or Foxtel help as you get all the UK documdentaries and comedies but with sunshine outside the window!!! Good luck moving back to the UK
I completely agree - I love Foxtel and makes me feel a lot less homesick!