Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

moving back to the UK (dilemma)

moving back to the UK (dilemma)

Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

nanjan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving back to the UK (dilemma)

we are a retired couple wanting to move back to the UK for 6 months. We have a house over there that will be empty and we don't know if we want to sell or rent the house before we return to NZ. Also we are wondering if we should leave all our stuff here in storage (as we are renting our home here) and just get the minimal amount that we need over there from second hand stores etc. Has anyone ever done this move and returned. The only money that we will have is the rental here and a loan from the bank and our pension. My husband would prefer to move back but I don't want and this way we are hoping to compromise. We will leave our cars here and hopefully buy one over there. Can anyone give us any advice on how to go about this please.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving back to the UK (dilemma)

So you are visiting the UK for six months and then returning to NZ.

You already have a house in the UK (empty) and a house (furnished) in NZ.

If it was me I would rent the NZ house as furnished for the 6 months I was away - that would bring maximum rent and no storage costs - and buy the minimum stuff for the UK house.

Then at the end of the 6 months decide whether to sell or rent the UK house.

As for the car I don't think there is much between getting a rental for 6 months (many companies have very cheap rates for a month at a time) and buying a "banger".

I'm presuming you are both British citizens so have no visa issues with entering the UK - and presuming the same with re-entering NZ after being away for 6 months.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

nanjan is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, thanks for that. We are renting the house here and putting our furniture in to a container that friends have let us use. (renters want the house empty) We are wondering if it is worth getting a crate or something to ship personal things like TV, Computers, pans and few bits of kitchen ware, kettles, etc. craft stuff. Does anyone know how much crates or boxes cost or the cheapest way of doing this.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about getting a house sitter? I have house sat for people in this similar situation. As a house sitter I would stay in the house rent-free and in exchange look after the house - collect the mail, mow the lawns, tend to the garden, walk and feed the pets if they had any and maintain the house - housework etc. This means you can leave all your clothes, possessions etc in your house. Sometimes rent payers will not look after your house, have parties etc whereas as a house sitter you are not allowed to have anyone else stay in the house and you generally get people who are pensioners or single people wanting to save a bit of money so it is a win/win for both.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Mar 26th 2013 at 11:12 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

I see you already have a similar thread running in the MBTTUK forum...therefore I am closing this thread as duplicate threads become very confusing.