Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK

Moving back to the UK

Old Feb 2nd 2018, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

lulutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK

Hi there,
I've decided to move back to the U.K after 28 years here in the U.S. I go home often & have plenty of friends & family still there & eager to have me home. I'm a green card holder, not a citizen, can I still get my U.S social security pension paid to me in the U.K when I retire? Also, do I surrender my green card or just hang on to it until it expires? My son lives here in the U.S so I don't want to mess anything up as far as re-entering the country to visit him. Any advice ?
Cheers,
Lucy
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK

Hi there and welcome to BE

We have a wonderful forum designed just for Brits who are returning home. After a read of the site rules linked on the beige header above, please feel free to join the group here: Moving back to the UK - British Expats

As for your green card, once you have left the US and made your primary residence other than the US, you will lose your green card privileges. The date on the green card only means the plastic card has expired not your LPR status. You should return the green card via form I-407 after you have left the US. Yes, you can still obtain your retirement benefits from social security after you have moved. Be sure when you file for benefits that you let them know that you do not want medicare otherwise the premium will be automatically deducted from your check.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 2nd 2018 at 10:19 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 2:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Contrary to the spin of your question, I would SERIOUSLY consider applying for US citizenship before you leave the US as that is the ONLY way to guarantee that you will always be able to come to the US to visit your son for as long as you please, whenever you please.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 3rd 2018 at 3:21 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 2:37 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Contrary to the spin of your question, I would SERIOUSLY consider applying for US citizenship before you leave the US as that is the ONLY way to guarantee that you will always be able to ome and visit your son for as long as you please, whenever you please.
+1
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 2:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed but assumed if she didn't naturalize after being in the US for 28 years, she isn't wanting to do so.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 2:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Agreed but assumed if she didn't naturalize after being in the US for 28 years, she isn't wanting to do so.
Depends on how keen Lucy is to guarantee the right to visit her son.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 3:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Depends on how keen Lucy is to guarantee the right to visit her son.
+1