Reload this Page >

Moving back to Europe from Australia

Moving back to Europe from Australia

Old Jan 25th 2015, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Em567 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to Europe from Australia

Hi there,

I've lived away from the Uk now for almost 5 years, having lived in Kuwait for a few years and in Sydney for the last few. I'm 31 years old and have a small family in the uk who can't travel to visit me in Oz, with a young nephew, therefore considering the move back to Europe. I want to see my nephew grow up and have my children fairly close to my family. The thought of spending every year on a 24 hour flight back to the UK with a young family troubles me. To say I'm worried is an understatement! I've found that I love the bright sunny (not bothered about super hot but sunny outlook) days and the slightly more laid back lifestyle that comes with it. I work in senior management in retail so there are some places in Europe I can consider largely being London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona and La Coruna in Spain. I absolutely love Australia and the way of life is ideal but strangely have never felt quite settled here as its so isolated and far away. I've not met anyone here either so moving alone to the next country. Nervous that I'll be unsatisfied with the Uk and suffer from a bit of the wanderlust disease. Don't have permanent residency in Australia (could qualify before I leave but it only lasts 5 years). There would be the possibility to return but it would be a little harder as I'm over 30 now. Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has moved to Spain or uk or back from Oz and what your thoughts are?
Old Jan 27th 2015, 12:12 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Europe from Australia

Hi and welcome to th forum I think you're finding your way around the forum OK so shall leave you to it. If you get stuck on anything, just shout.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 8:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

If you're uncertain about the move I would suggest that you stay long enough in Australia to gain citizenship to leave that door open for you in the future. Any potential future children of yours will also probably thank you for it.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We recently moved back to the UK from Los Angeles and it's actually been quite nice and bright a lot of the time - better than I remembered.

However if you absolutely love Australia it might not suit you.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:43 am
Just Joined

I agree about the Citizenship...trouble is I have to apply for PR and stay another 2 and a half years to get it...which means I'd be 34 and nervous about moving back at that age - but agree my potential children would be grateful! I wish Permanent Residency was valid for 10 years, it would give me a longer time!

As for the Uk...I keep seeing beautiful photos with blue skies, a different UK from the one I remember, cold still I understand but less grey skies!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Em567
Hi there,

I've lived away from the Uk now for almost 5 years, having lived in Kuwait for a few years and in Sydney for the last few. I'm 31 years old and have a small family in the uk who can't travel to visit me in Oz, with a young nephew, therefore considering the move back to Europe. I want to see my nephew grow up and have my children fairly close to my family. The thought of spending every year on a 24 hour flight back to the UK with a young family troubles me. To say I'm worried is an understatement! I've found that I love the bright sunny (not bothered about super hot but sunny outlook) days and the slightly more laid back lifestyle that comes with it. I work in senior management in retail so there are some places in Europe I can consider largely being London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona and La Coruna in Spain. I absolutely love Australia and the way of life is ideal but strangely have never felt quite settled here as its so isolated and far away. I've not met anyone here either so moving alone to the next country. Nervous that I'll be unsatisfied with the Uk and suffer from a bit of the wanderlust disease. Don't have permanent residency in Australia (could qualify before I leave but it only lasts 5 years). There would be the possibility to return but it would be a little harder as I'm over 30 now. Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has moved to Spain or uk or back from Oz and what your thoughts are?
Given you are looking at senior management positions, I do wonder just what language skills you have? In the countries you have listed you would need to be fluent in the local language, so without fluency in one of the other European languages, then you are somewhat limited to the UK, and I would suggest you cosider other cities than London as house prices and rentals are horrendous. Just this morning there was a home renovation programme and one of the properties was a two bed terrace house in Putney, unrenovated it sold, last year, for £830,000, renovated it would have been worth someting in the region of £1.1 million, the buyers extended and made it into a 4 bedroom place, local agents were valuing it, then, at £1.3 million, but I believe it sold for £1.5 million+. Rental value was suggested at £2,500 a month.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

ouch! House prices have changed a lot since I left! I wouldn't mind learning another language but I understand what you mean about being fluent! So that does limit me somewhat..

If only I could move Australia to be a bit closer to the UK!