Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi...

Moving to Abu Dhabi...

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:07 am
Agadir

agadir is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Abu Dhabi...

Hello Everyone,

I'm a Brit. who is moving to AD to teach at a public school in August.

Due to a recent email, I've got some questions that I hope someone can help me out with. I don't drive and I've been told that some of the teaching locations are quite remote, and there is little chance of getting a taxi. So, my questions are these:

Is there a public transport system in AD that visits the surrounding towns/villages?
Can I make an agreement with a cab driver to drop and pick up on a daily/weekly basis?
Are there school buses to and in the surrounding neighbourhoods of AD?
What are my chances of moving freely and independently in place such as Abu Dhabi city, El Ain and Al Gharbiya?
Is it possible to exist without a car in AD?

I'd be eternally grateful if someone could give me some advice and guidance on the matter.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:24 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by agadir
Hello Everyone,

I'm a Brit. who is moving to AD to teach at a public school in August.

Due to a recent email, I've got some questions that I hope someone can help me out with. I don't drive and I've been told that some of the teaching locations are quite remote, and there is little chance of getting a taxi. So, my questions are these:

Is there a public transport system in AD that visits the surrounding towns/villages?
Can I make an agreement with a cab driver to drop and pick up on a daily/weekly basis?
Are there school buses to and in the surrounding neighbourhoods of AD?
What are my chances of moving freely and independently in place such as Abu Dhabi city, El Ain and Al Gharbiya?
Is it possible to exist without a car in AD?

I'd be eternally grateful if someone could give me some advice and guidance on the matter.

Welcome to the Forum, We have a pretty good Middle East section where you should find answers to most of you questions. Bob Rowell and Northern Lad are the Moderators and happy to help with any problems you might have.

One again welcome.....

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jun 22nd 2010 at 11:30 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:40 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you find the answer to your questions in the sections point out by Ka Ora!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:39 am
Agadir

Unhappy Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi...

Thanks for the greeting.

So far, no luck. I spent most of yesterday looking for answers on the ME forum. I obviously need to get in contact with a non-driver in Abu Dhabi.

Do you have any info. you could pass on?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:50 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't, sorry. There is no way of knowing if a person is a non driver or not.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:38 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome to the forum sorry you have not found the answers to your question someone can help you

Dewb09
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 2:12 pm
Agadir

Smile Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi...

Thanks...I'll keep trying. I guess most people are drivers?

Kind of you to respond.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 4:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

If you haven't found an answer to your question, have you posted it up on the ME section? Pretty sure you'd need to be a driver though, not that the quality of driving is all that great
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Agadir,

Welcome!

I'm in Duabi so slightly different to Abu Dhabi. I don't have a car here but you do really need one,I get cabs everywhere and its fine as I just go from work to home not having to travel all over the place. Public transport is a nono- will take you 10 times as long to get anywhere at least I mean a 10 minute car journey will take you 2 hours.

There are school buses that pick up the kids to their schools- very Bart Simpson esque. But generally I would say get a car- check out www.dubizzle.com for second hand cars- some good bargains to be had.

You should post in the middle east forum lots of people there who live in AbuDhabi.

PS you are moving to the Middle East at the worst time- Ramadan! Prepare for the worst as its a nightmare!

Good luck

Kittycat
x
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Have just seen that you DON'T drive- do an intensive course in the UK as its easier to change your UK license over than learn here! You could always geta driver but if your travelling regularly it could work out quite expensive unless your school will pay for it.