Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Moved from Guernsey to Maine

Moved from Guernsey to Maine

Old Feb 25th 2012, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Gu2Me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved from Guernsey to Maine

Hi - We (my wife, 2 x kids and I) moved to Maine about 2 years ago. We were back in Guernsey for 6 years after moving back there from San Francisco.

Settled in here, kids at school and life is good. Any other Brits nearby? We are in Cumberland.
Cheers - Steve
Old Feb 25th 2012, 3:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved from Guernsey to Maine

Welcome to BE

So you're not far from Freeport, nice

Used to live nearby, out in Casco and Belfast.

There's a handful of BE folks up in Maine, couple in Portland, Augusta, Waterville areas with a few other spots in between
Old Feb 25th 2012, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the welcome - I did briefly meet another Brit in British Goods in Freeport and strangely, a Scottish woman in an 'antiques' store down towards Phippsburg.

She sounded as if she had come over the day before but swore she had been here for years. It was great to talk about 'home' with her though I have never been to Scotland!

Good to hear there are others about though. Cheers.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 12:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's weird....there were loads of Brits around Camden and Belfast area and Portland...definitely spot the tourists in Freeport though

Probably enough of you guys to have a small meet up group in Southern Maine these days.....when we were living there, there was only one other on BE living there I think. They all just came out of the woodworks when we moved, I think I probably had smelly armpits or something
Old Feb 25th 2012, 12:27 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gu2Me
Any other Brits nearby? We are in Cumberland.
Cheers - Steve
*waves* Hi Steve. I'm just North of Augusta. Been here for 9 years, but planning to move home soon. Well, hopefully soon if I can get the house to sell.

Originally Posted by Bob
I think I probably had smelly armpits or something
That's why I waited until you moved away. Didn't like to say anything
Old Feb 25th 2012, 3:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve, welcome to Maine!

I live in the Portland area with my husband and kids. Originally from the south east/west area. Cumberland is a lovely town. You must try out the fair next fall, its fun people and animal watching. It's great you've discovered Freeport's little Brit shop...it's where I head to when I need a fix of home.

I think a meet-up would be fun one of these days!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Montfan 72 - thanks for your welcome.
We've been here nearly three years now and live within walking distance of the fair ground which is brilliant. Hahaha - whenever we go up to Beans I always find an excuse to pop into the Brit Shop (as we call it - what is its name?!) to either loiter about a bit looking at things I wouldn't dream of looking at back home, or talk to the staff. Sad eh....
A meet up would be good.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:52 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

to either loiter about a bit looking at things I wouldn't dream of looking at back home,
aint that the truth.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
aint that the truth.
Yes all those burberry jackets and royal family coasters are so very tempting!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Yes all those burberry jackets and royal family coasters are so very tempting!
Saying that, my mother when was impressed with the idea when she visited a couple years ago, when the exchange rate was mental
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Saying that, my mother when was impressed with the idea when she visited a couple years ago, when the exchange rate was mental
I admit there was a time in the 80's when I would have digged a burberry jacket to go along with my filofax
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Montfan 72 - thanks for your welcome.
We've been here nearly three years now and live within walking distance of the fair ground which is brilliant. Hahaha - whenever we go up to Beans I always find an excuse to pop into the Brit Shop (as we call it - what is its name?!) to either loiter about a bit looking at things I wouldn't dream of looking at back home, or talk to the staff. Sad eh....
A meet up would be good.
We'll be getting together at a pub in Portland on St Pats Day with other European and Irish expats, kids invited too. Pm me if anyone local wants to meet up!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:09 pm
lush

I admit there was a time in the 80's when I would have digged a burberry jacket to go along with my filofax
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:10 pm
lush

We'll be getting together at a pub in Portland on St Pats Day with other European and Irish expats, kids invited too. Pm me if anyone local wants to meet up!
argh, I just checked and I am working that night. Maybe next time