Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Move from London to San Diego help!

Move from London to San Diego help!

Old Apr 21st 2013, 11:06 am
Just Joined

MichaelaLydon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move from London to San Diego help!

Hello! My boyfriend and I recently went to visit my sister who is studying abroad for the year at SDSU and we fell in love with the place. We would love to live there but we're aware of how difficult this may be. I am 24 now and my partner 27 and I would hope to move when I am in my early thirties, so in about 7-10 years time.

So here is a bit about us, and I would be so grateful if anyone could tell us if our qualifications/jobs would 'help' us get out there? or if we just have no chance?

I did my BA in Theology at Kings College London and got a 2.1 with hons. I am now doing an MA in Psychoanalytic Observational Studies which I will complete next year and the reason for this is that it is the pre-requisite for the Doctorate in Child Psychotherapy which I intend to complete by the time i'm 30. (So I hope to become a child psychotherapist)

My partner is a Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor for the BBC at the moment and is hoping to take on a more managerial role within the gym in the next year.

Once qualified, would I apply for jobs in the US? Would my qualifications (MA and Doctorate) be recognised in San Diego? And what about his? Would we need to be married to go together? I just don't know how to go about it at all!

I know this is all speculative at this point but i'd rather be prepared now as I have read it can take up to 10 years to get a VISA etc.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions and comments. Thanks!
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:08 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move from London to San Diego help!

Hi there and welcome to the forum

As I understand it, the US is one of the most difficult countries to move to but do check out the USA section on here and have a good read up.

All the best.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:27 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MichaelaLydon
Hello! My boyfriend and I recently went to visit my sister who is studying abroad for the year at SDSU and we fell in love with the place. We would love to live there but we're aware of how difficult this may be. I am 24 now and my partner 27 and I would hope to move when I am in my early thirties, so in about 7-10 years time.

So here is a bit about us, and I would be so grateful if anyone could tell us if our qualifications/jobs would 'help' us get out there? or if we just have no chance?

I did my BA in Theology at Kings College London and got a 2.1 with hons. I am now doing an MA in Psychoanalytic Observational Studies which I will complete next year and the reason for this is that it is the pre-requisite for the Doctorate in Child Psychotherapy which I intend to complete by the time i'm 30. (So I hope to become a child psychotherapist)

My partner is a Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor for the BBC at the moment and is hoping to take on a more managerial role within the gym in the next year.

Once qualified, would I apply for jobs in the US? Would my qualifications (MA and Doctorate) be recognised in San Diego? And what about his? Would we need to be married to go together? I just don't know how to go about it at all!

I know this is all speculative at this point but i'd rather be prepared now as I have read it can take up to 10 years to get a VISA etc.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions and comments. Thanks!
Hi...welcome to BE.

If your sister is or becomes a US citizen she can sponsor you but at the moment your wait would be approx 13 years. You would have to be married for your partner to join you.

Take a read through this...it bascially shows you the routes into moving to the US. We have several excellent US Forums...including an Immigration Forum. Why don't you pop over there and take a look around? Any questions you have about immigration should be posted in the Immigration Forum. The people who post in that forum will do their best to help you.

Good luck.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:20 am
Just Joined

MichaelaLydon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for all your replies! Will have a look at all your links and have a think about it.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 10:45 am
Just Joined

uncleeddie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello: I was in San Diego for a number of years and would like to share the "wisdom" of being there. I know you like the weather, the beach, and all of that. But, as you may or not know, it is very expensive and employers pay in "sunshine" dollars. In other words, for just being there, they will pay less than employers in San Francisco for instance, or on the North East coast. Another tip; if you can manage it, try to reside in Mexico and then make trips to SD. it may be less expensive (depending where) and the people may be more interesting. There are many from the central and east coast of the US who come there and think they are the Cat's Meow. They mostly care about themselves, and so forth.