Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Mother in Quebec

Mother in Quebec

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

SFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant future
Default Mother in Quebec

Hello everyone, last week I moved t oQuebec wihth my husband and baby daughter from the UK.
I hope ot find some useful information on this website, particularly on activities I can do with other parents during weekdays. I enjoy swimming, meet ups, outdoor activities, such as pram strolls and cycling.

From Susan
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother in Quebec

Originally Posted by SFROST80
Hello everyone, last week I moved t oQuebec wihth my husband and baby daughter from the UK.
I hope ot find some useful information on this website, particularly on activities I can do with other parents during weekdays. I enjoy swimming, meet ups, outdoor activities, such as pram strolls and cycling.

From Susan
Good morning Susan...welcome to BE.

Have you moved to Quebec permanently or is it a temporary move? The only part of Quebec I have visited is Montreal...which is certainly a lovely city.

You're bound to find loads of useful information on BE. Our members are very friendly and helpful...they will help answer any questions you may have about living in the Great White North. I'll give you a few useful links to help you find your way around the forums.

Here is the link to our Canada Forums...it will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. The main forum is for discussing topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Please shout out if you require assistance with anything...there's usually someone around 24/7 to help out.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:06 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SFROST80
Hello everyone, last week I moved to Quebec with my husband and baby daughter from the UK.
I hope to find some useful information on this website, particularly on activities I can do with other parents during weekdays. I enjoy swimming, meet ups, outdoor activities, such as pram strolls and cycling.

From Susan
Salut Susan!

And welcome to B.E. I see Jerseygirl has you set for useful links and helpful information.

I lived in Québec for many years when I first came over to Canada. It is COLD, but I loved it! I came young enough to learn French as well, or rather Canadian French ... but don't worry if you don't speak it, there are still a few places, like Montréal, where it's an asset, but not an absolute necessity ... (Westmount, for instance, used to be more WASP than most cities in England! )

Québec is a unique place compared to the rest of Canada ... and I made all the mistakes any Briton could, so should be glad to help if I could do.

« Je te souhaites tout le bonheur du monde »
With every good wish,
Christian
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

sidney87 is a jewel in the roughsidney87 is a jewel in the roughsidney87 is a jewel in the roughsidney87 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Susan,

where in quebec are you..I live in mtl and am a new mother as well so can give you local info, let me know
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

SFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant futureSFROST80 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sidney87
Hi Susan,

where in quebec are you..I live in mtl and am a new mother as well so can give you local info, let me know
Hello, I'm living in Boisbriand, renting for up to three months, before moving to a nearby location. We're currently looking for a second car which will give me easier access to travelling to other areas, including Montreal. Please let me know of any baby and parent groups you've attended / attend or would recommend. My little one (my first child) is one year this month and she loves interacting with pther children (even when I jsut take her to the local play area). I find it hard not ot miss all the groups I went to in England, but it means I am more determined to find at least a regular get together asap.

Thank you for your reply. I feel less isolated already. many thanks and keep in touch.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Hello Rosemary,

Thank you for your reply. I will look at those links and I will take up the offer of further assistance if required, thanks. From Susan
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:38 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sidney87
Hi Susan,

Hello sidney87,

And welcome to you as well. When I first came from England, I lived on the south shore, right on the border with Maine. However, I later came to live in Montréal arrondissement d'Outremont near le Plateau-Mont-Royal / Mile End district— for many years. When the political climate changed, I thought it in my interests to move to English Canada, but I still miss Québec.

Best,
Christian

P.S. Susan & sidney87, I've linked these two YouTube vids before as a tongue in cheek introduction to ‘Res Canadiana’ —English Canada using America as a foil— and then « la vie québécoise » as a parody of the first ... hope you might get a chuckle out of it.

Crash course:—

English-Canada in a nut-shell. (Why it's done to Hope and Glory is beyond me! )

vs French-Canada by comparison. (And the profanity he uses is real French-Canadian profanity ...
... you'll pick it up in no time if just to describe the weather )

The « joie de vivre » of Québec!

Last edited by Christian; Sep 2nd 2011 at 10:16 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

hello / salut

I am currently staying in the Boisbriand area of QC, which being mainly French speaking, helps me learh the language. I am of average French ability but find it's totally different needing to speak and understand the language on a daily basis (not a bad thing I'll add!)

Enjoying the hot weather at the moment and have yet to experience a cold winter but I have all my winter warmies ready to wear!

Thanks for your friendly reply, Susan
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

GOOD VIDEOS, thank you for those!

v=TncdhLGjFTE&feature=player_embedded [/CENTER]

The « joie de vivre » of Québec! [/QUOTE]
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:09 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Susan and Sidney

Welcome to BE both of you
How nice that you are both living in the same area as new mums, so I hope you can ,meet up and give each other some moral support whilst you settle in. And you have our lovely but mad Christian to help you along.

Good luck to you both and I hope you enjoy being part of BE

Dread - x
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

sidney87 is a jewel in the roughsidney87 is a jewel in the roughsidney87 is a jewel in the roughsidney87 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Susan,

unfortunately I'm not so familiar with that area or Laval or the french community, so I can give you info that is a bit general, but I think it's a start.
normally all the libraries have programs for children and they start in the fall; I went to a couple of my local libraries for mother-child activities and it was a lot of fun, check with your local libraries or if you'd like to come on the island, you can call one of the following, the site is not updated but the registration should start soon:
http://www.mcl-bjm.ca/english/mothergoose.html
there you can meet other mothers who can give you more info about local gatherings or other activities that might interest you

another activity i did with my little one was swimming; again, check at your local pool for lessons, or if not at a
ymca closer to you; also, many ymca have playgroups or family activities

another centre for activities for kids is the kidnasium, they have great fun programs for kids and again you can get in contact with other mothers for more stuff
http://www.kidnasium.net/

hope this helps..let me know if there are any other things you might like to know
or if you don't mind coming over to the south-west or downtown i could show you other fun places for kids

a +
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

hello, that's fantastic, I'll try those websites and links. Keep in touch, from Susan