Miss

Old Apr 5th 2017, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Bkj13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Miss

Hi.
Im new here. And very nervous about my first post! I was convicted 17 years ago for importing illegal drugs.(as a child I stupidly trusted a so called partner!) I served 4 years of a 6 1/2 year sentance. My passport was seized at the point of arrest. 13years on...I now have a family. And 3 children who are desperate to go abroad? Is thids going to be possible for me. I was thinking maybe spain?! Im so worried that I wont be able to take them. And a mistake of trusting the wrong person as a child will result in affecting my children and there desire to travel. Any help/advice would be so greatful. Thanks in advance
Old Apr 5th 2017, 11:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Miss

Originally Posted by Bkj13
Hi.
Im new here. And very nervous about my first post! I was convicted 17 years ago for importing illegal drugs.(as a child I stupidly trusted a so called partner!) I served 4 years of a 6 1/2 year sentance. My passport was seized at the point of arrest. 13years on...I now have a family. And 3 children who are desperate to go abroad? Is thids going to be possible for me. I was thinking maybe spain?! Im so worried that I wont be able to take them. And a mistake of trusting the wrong person as a child will result in affecting my children and there desire to travel. Any help/advice would be so greatful. Thanks in advance
When you say 'go abroad' are you talkng of travelling for a holiday? Or actually emigrating?
Old Apr 5th 2017, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When you say 'go abroad' are you talkng of travelling for a holiday? Or actually emigrating?
Hi...
Sorry!!! Just a holiday 😀
Thank you
Old Apr 5th 2017, 11:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bkj13
Hi...
Sorry!!! Just a holiday 😀
Thank you
As far as I know you should have no problems with travelling to Europe. Have you applied to get a new passport? I would start with that. Presumably you are not still on parole or licence or anything like that.
Going further afield, Australia, Canada, the USA for instance it gets more complicated as you need to declare convictions, and the USA in particular is almost impossible to trael to once you have a drug conviction of any kind, so be wary of promising family holidays further from home.

Spain should be OK though
Old Apr 5th 2017, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As far as I know you should have no problems with travelling to Europe. Have you applied to get a new passport? I would start with that. Presumably you are not still on parole or licence or anything like that.
Going further afield, Australia, Canada, the USA for instance it gets more complicated as you need to declare convictions, and the USA in particular is almost impossible to trael to once you have a drug conviction of any kind, so be wary of promising family holidays further from home.

Spain should be OK though
Hi..
Thanks so much for your help. Im not on parole or license. I didn't want to travel to far so spain would be ideal...I will start by applying for a new passport and take it from there. Once again thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 12:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If there is any chance you might want to travel further afield you might want to talk with an immigration attorney experienced in the country you might want to travel to. The one bit of wiggle room in the facts you have shared about yourself is that you were "a child". While the US, for example, takes drug convictions very seriously, there is some latitude given to people with convictions as a minor (under 18), so long, of course, that they have led an exemplary life ever since.

I am far from certain that the US would grant you a visitors visa (note that the US doesn't recognize the idea that convictions drop off your criminal record - so convictions must always be declared), but I wouldn't discount the possibility entirely.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 5th 2017 at 1:59 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If there is any chance you might want to travel further afield you might want to talk with an immigration attorney experienced in the country you might want to travel to. The one but of wiggle room in the facts you have shared about yourself is that you were "a child". While the US, for example, takes drug convictions very seriously, there is some latitude given to people with convictions as a minor (under 18), so long, of course, that they have led an exemplifies life ever since.

I am far from certain that the US would grant you a visitors visa (note that the US doesn't recognize the idea that convictions drop off your criminal record - so convictions must always be declared), but I wouldn't discount the possibility entirely.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. At the moment I really only want to go somewhere like spain. More so for my children. However this information is very useful should I want to travel further. Thank you once again x