Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Brisbane

Melbourne or Brisbane

Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

amyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really nice
Question Melbourne or Brisbane

Would really appreciate some advice. Myself (makeup artist) husband (manufacturing mechanical team lead) 2 kids (9 &11) have full visa's for oz and plan to travel in Nov from Ireland.

We have been to Brisbane before and really liked it, however we heard that there is much better job opportunities for husband in Melbourne. Primarily we would like to live outside a city maybe 30 mins from a beach in an area that has good schools and generally a good quality of life.

Research seems to suggest that Melbourne has everything going for it, but I am worried about cost of living and rental prices. There are great reports from Australia but I'm not sure it's as easy to find work as some agencies are making out. Do Australian employers welcome people from overseas or is it a process that takes a long time?

As I said I would really appreciate any guidance on the above.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Brisbane

Originally Posted by amyrose
Would really appreciate some advice. Myself (makeup artist) husband (manufacturing mechanical team lead) 2 kids (9 &11) have full visa's for oz and plan to travel in Nov from Ireland.

We have been to Brisbane before and really liked it, however we heard that there is much better job opportunities for husband in Melbourne. Primarily we would like to live outside a city maybe 30 mins from a beach in an area that has good schools and generally a good quality of life.

Research seems to suggest that Melbourne has everything going for it, but I am worried about cost of living and rental prices. There are great reports from Australia but I'm not sure it's as easy to find work as some agencies are making out. Do Australian employers welcome people from overseas or is it a process that takes a long time?

As I said I would really appreciate any guidance on the above.

Thanks in advance.
Hello Amy Rose...welcome to the site.

As this forum is purely to welcome new members to BE...it would be appreciated if you could repost your questions in the Australia Forum.

We have a great bunch of people who post in our Australia Forums...they will give you tips and advice on life Down Under. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum in the Immigration Forum...any questions you may have about the immigration process should be posted in there. The Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat.

If you need any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums one of our Concierge Team will be pleased help you. For any other concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. You can find a list of our concierge's at the bottom right hand side of this forum's index page...their names are printed in standard font. Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20, Sonlymewalter and Centurion.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and don't forget to shout out should you require any help.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 17th 2010 at 5:00 pm. Reason: put in link
Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

amyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really niceamyrose is just really nice

Sorry
Old Jul 17th 2010, 5:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amyrose
Sorry
No problem. I see you have reposted thank you. You'll get a much better response posting in there as most of our members posting in that forum are already living in Down Under...so they are in a better position to help you.

Good luck.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:42 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amyrose

Welcome to BE.
I am sure you will gte lots of tips and advice from our Australian posters, and probably make new friends in the area you move to as well.
The main thing is to jump in, get posting and have fun.

Good luck with your move - I am sure you must be getting a little excited now.

Dread - x