Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Home is where the heart is, or is it where ever I lay my hat?

Home is where the heart is, or is it where ever I lay my hat?

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Lethal Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home is where the heart is, or is it where ever I lay my hat?

Hello all, I need your advice.

I am a 31 year old British male living in New Joisey, USA. I moved to the US in 2007 to marry my fiancee who I had been dating for 2 years. I like New Jersey and the US very much and I know I am very fortunate to be living here, however I have been feeling extrememly homesick over the past 6 months or so. I have told my wife how I feel and she understands, I have a strange dilemma where I like where I live (5 mins from the Jersey shore) and have a decent job, I just miss home so badly that I find myself daydreaming about home all the time.

I understand that the UK is far from perfect and there are many people who would be happy to leave, I just don't feel that way, yes we have problems at home but I love it.

I would really appreciate if somebody could offer any advice on this matter.

Cheers

Last edited by Lethal Lee; Dec 3rd 2009 at 5:45 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home is where the heart is, or is it where ever I lay my hat?

Hi Lethal,
check out this current thread in the USA off topic section (yes, "the Trailer Park") http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642628

You're by no means alone, and lots of folks have good coping strategies and possibly solutions, for you.

Sorry we missed you this morning; hope you drop back soon.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hi Lethal,
check out this current thread in the USA off topic section (yes, "the Trailer Park") http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642628

You're by no means alone, and lots of folks have good coping strategies and possibly solutions, for you.

Sorry we missed you this morning; hope you drop back soon.
Cheers!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 11:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lethal Lee

I am a 31 year old British male living in New Joisey, USA. I moved to the US in 2007 to marry my fiancee who I had been dating for 2 years. I like New Jersey and the US very much and I know I am very fortunate to be living here, however I have been feeling extrememly homesick over the past 6 months or so. I have told my wife how I feel and she understands, I have a strange dilemma where I like where I live (5 mins from the Jersey shore) and have a decent job, I just miss home so badly that I find myself daydreaming about home all the time.

I understand that the UK is far from perfect and there are many people who would be happy to leave, I just don't feel that way, yes we have problems at home but I love it.

Cheers
Hello and welcome from another New Joizeyite.

I feel your pain...I really do...I have often felt the same. Go down to the ocean...look into the distance...can you see it? Well can you? It's there 3.5K miles away and it will always be there...HOME.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome from another New Joizeyite.

I feel your pain...I really do...I have often felt the same. Go down to the ocean...look into the distance...can you see it? Well can you? It's there 3.5K miles away and it will always be there...HOME.
Thank you Yorkshire lass for those nice words, I appreciate it. Its a little embarassing but this summer I actually went down to the beach (Asbury Park is 5 mins from my house) and stood on the beach and tried figuring out if I swam 3,500 miles in that direction would I end up in Newquay, I then realised I would probably end up in Portugal. And then I realised my feet were burning and I should head back and get my flip flops!

I have plenty of American friends but unfortunately I don't know any Brits here, I had a British friend in Princeton where I work but he recently moved his family back to England. Would it be weird to ask you if we could stay in touch via email? I'm not a weirdo, honest, my granny is always telling me so! my email is <<<snip> and i'm on Facebook. It would be very nice to get to know more about you.

Take care and have a great weekend!

Cheerio

Lee

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 5th 2009 at 3:05 am. Reason: removed email address
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

Though are you sure you want your email address out there to be harvested and spammed?
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Yorkshire lass for those nice words, I appreciate it. Its a little embarassing but this summer I actually went down to the beach (Asbury Park is 5 mins from my house) and stood on the beach and tried figuring out if I swam 3,500 miles in that direction would I end up in Newquay, I then realised I would probably end up in Portugal. And then I realised my feet were burning and I should head back and get my flip flops!

I have plenty of American friends but unfortunately I don't know any Brits here, I had a British friend in Princeton where I work but he recently moved his family back to England. Would it be weird to ask you if we could stay in touch via email? I'm not a weirdo, honest, my granny is always telling me so! my email is <<<snip> and i'm on Facebook. It would be very nice to get to know more about you.

Take care and have a great weekend!

Cheerio

Lee
I've removed your email address...for security reasons it's not something we post on BE.

I'm in NW NJ...quite away from you...you're in the home of the Boss. I've been here since '96...it does get better but my home will always be the UK.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Hi Lee

I'm new here too. Moving over to New England in 2010. I suspect, judging from my wife's experience, I'm going to feel homesick too, probably for trivial things like Marmite and 'Have I got news for you'.

The one consolation I have is that my brother is in a far worse situation. When we were growing up and going through school by far his worst subject was French and he has a pathological hatred of the language. Well, his long term girlfriend (partner) has been applying for academic jobs and the only one that came through was ....you guessed it, Nantes in France!. So now in the space of only three months he has to quit his nicely paying job and move somewhere where he doesn't know anyone and doesn't speak the language. Life's a bitch sometimes.

Hope you banish the blues.

H
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:57 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers

I moved to Miami in 1999, did not go back home until 2001 by this time I was really homesick, when I did go home so much had changed so much remained the same. I found that over the years it is less home than it was and I now truely expect me to live in the states for the rest off my life.

Fast forward to present day, I now have Dual Citizenship, UK is where my heart will always be but my home & my life is now here in Charlotte.

Having said that some people never adjust, I adjust pretty quick the shock of being uprooted from the north of Scotland to Bournemouth at age 11 helps me adjust at that age England was a foreign country to me.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:07 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

bunch of the brits in the USA from this site in this group on FB
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...id=12088819170