Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Looking for a start offshore and seeking advice.

Looking for a start offshore and seeking advice.

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Peter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nice
Question Looking for a start offshore and seeking advice.

Hi everyone,

I know that this question was probably asked many times but I would like to hear your opinion, as I could not find a satisfying answer.
I am 28 year old, graduating this year BA (Hons) in Communication and PR, and expecting to get 2.1 degree. Despite my degree, I would like to start working offshore and start from any possible level, which probably would be a Roustabout. I am keen on getting a job offshore, as it is the best possible solution for my current and future plans. I wonder whether I should write in my CV the degree I hold. I would like to make a point that I am physically fit as I have trained boxing and MMA since I was 18. I do not have much experience of working as a labour however, I have always enjoyed fixing things or repairing cars. For the last year I have worked in a local garage therefore, you can be sure I know how to use tools and what it is like to get dirty. I am about to do following courses:

Banksman slinger training
BOSIET
MIST
Rope access

I also thought about doing Mechanical Engineering course HNC in order to increase my chances of getting a job however maybe this is not a good idea since I do not have much of work experience and I think that that counts much. I would not like to get another degree and struggle to get a job.
I realise that I get older and time is running away therefore if I want to get a job offshore this is the last chance. I wonder if someone can indicate me in the right direction and maybe I could somehow use my degree as an advantage instead of covering it?

I live in Aberdeen UK.

Thank you very much for any help.
Peter

Last edited by Peter 84; Feb 23rd 2013 at 3:12 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 11:16 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a start offshore and seeking advice.

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Are you talking about offshore work around the U.K. or elsewhere in the world?

Everyone is welcome to B.E. but it is mainly geared around those wishing to go abroad (and getting work is part of this), those who have emigrated and those heading back home again.

I'm not sure that we have a section where there would be enough knowledge base to help you but we have the moving back to the UK section and the working abroad section.

Perhaps you could have a read through these and see if there is anything there to help.

I've seen references to offshore work on here but can't remember where it was. You could also try the search function.

Good luck with your plans.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:47 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.

As Sherlock said, difficult to know where to point you as you're not saying exactly where you want to work.

Roustabout is the petroleum industry? Yes? If you're looking to work abroad, suggest you take a look in the Working Abroad by Profession section. You can follow this link below.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73
Pan down to the second half of the page, after Welders, where there is a general section and just have a look through some of the threads. There are a few threads relating to Oil and Energy. Or you may wish to add your own thread on there.

I presume that Aberdeen still has a big petroleum industry up there? Well... it's on your doorstep, isn't it. Try googling "roustabout Aberdeen". Quite a lot of links come up.

All the best
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Peter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nicePeter 84 is just really nice

Thanks to both of you. I have been looking for somebody who works in the oil and gas industry.I am taking about working on a rig on the north see in Scotland Aberdeen. Although I live here and know many people I thought that maybe I will come across somebody who can tell me if my education and doing HNC in ME can be a strong asset. I have collected much data however some of them are not up to date and have not seen any posts alike mine.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:48 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Peter and welcome to BE. If its the Oil and Gas industry you are looking at out of the UK, I know that my nephew is based out of the UK in Singapore and he is in some placement agency, not sure what he does exactly because I am not in any way connected to the Oil and Gas sector. But if it means anything to you, it may help.

THIS IS NOT FOR ANY FINANCIAL OR COMMERCIAL GAIN FOR ME. But if the site rules allow, I'll be happy to PM you his email ID.

Best wishes to you.

Cheers
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:31 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of Oil & Gas people on the forum in USA. My other half Mr Weeze would be happy to help. Feel free to send him a PM.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Weeze I have just contacted your Mr.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary