Reload this Page >

Looking to emigrate either BC or Nova Scotia

Looking to emigrate either BC or Nova Scotia

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Cayman65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Looking to emigrate either BC or Nova Scotia

Hello everyone,
My husband and I are new to this community and just wanted to introduce ourselves and ask a few questions.
I am a registered nurse and my husband is a serving police officer.
We are looking into emigrating to Canada within the next few years.
We originally looked into Vancouver but it now appears to be very expensive so we have done a lot of research into Nova Scotia and have been impressed with all that we have found out, in- fact we plan to visit in 2013 and check out areas to live and housing etc. We are also attending the Canada expo in Manchester this month to gather further information.
We have recently also looked back into BC and Vancouver Island and we have been surprised to see that we could afford property there.
So we are asking if anyone can tell us anything more about both places, all information good and bad will be gratefully received
Many thanks
Dave & Michelle
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to emigrate either BC or Nova Scotia

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Novagranny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cayman65
Hello everyone,
My husband and I are new to this community and just wanted to introduce ourselves and ask a few questions.
We originally looked into Vancouver but it now appears to be very expensive so we have done a lot of research into Nova Scotia and have been impressed with all that we have found out, in- fact we plan to visit in 2013 and check out areas to live and housing etc. We are also attending the Canada expo in Manchester this month to gather further information.
We have recently also looked back into BC and Vancouver Island and we have been surprised to see that we could afford property there.
So we are asking if anyone can tell us anything more about both places, all information good and bad will be gratefully received
Many thanks
Dave & Michelle
Hi Dave and Michelle, I am also new to the forum, this is my first post but because you mentioned Nova Scotia I feel sort of qualified to respond. My husband, myself and our sons have lived in Canada, coming from the UK, for thirty years. Twenty in and around Calgary and now for the last ten years here in lovely Nova Scotia. We did consider Vancouver Island but it wasn't the cost of housing, although much higher than here, it was always the threat of earthquakes...I am sure for those that live there is isn't an issue because once committed to a way of life you stick with the decisions that are important to you and your family...so we chose NS for my husband's retirement. It took a while to acclimatise just because it is very different from where we lived in Alberta but in some ways that is what we were looking for, but still changes can take time to get used to. We live in a small town nearly 4 hours drive from the capital of Halifax, sometimes we think that that was not the best move but to be honest there were probably 100 places we could have settled and been happy. We are not working so of course this can make the difference. I wonder what the criteria is now for emigration, thirty years ago it was points ...how many children, jobs, money etc...my husband had a job to come to which is why we actually did come in the first place. Oil and Gas kept him working in Calgary, it is a bit boom and bust out there but when it is good it is very very good. From what you were saying I think you are drawn to the coast rather than inland. We have a great many lakes in NS and a lot of the locals really enjoy being on and near them, we have joined that group as well as the coast is never too far away. Your two choices are very diverse, really couldn't be more different so do lots of research. I hope I can help if you have any questions about this end of the country.....
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,
Many thanks
Dave & Michelle
Hi Dave and Michelle...welcome to BE.

I'm sorry it took a while to reply to you...I overlooked your thread yesterday. I think you'll find our Canada forums very useful in your quest to move to Canada.

If you click on the link I've given you above it will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

I think you may also be interested in out Working Abroad by Profession forums. You will note that we have dedicated sub forums to cover nurses and police.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Please shout out if you should require further assistance.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novagranny
Hi Dave and Michelle, I am also new to the forum, this is my first post but because you mentioned Nova Scotia I feel sort of qualified to respond. My husband, myself and our sons have lived in Canada, coming from the UK, for thirty years. Twenty in and around Calgary and now for the last ten years here in lovely Nova Scotia. We did consider Vancouver Island but it wasn't the cost of housing, although much higher than here, it was always the threat of earthquakes...I am sure for those that live there is isn't an issue because once committed to a way of life you stick with the decisions that are important to you and your family...so we chose NS for my husband's retirement. It took a while to acclimatise just because it is very different from where we lived in Alberta but in some ways that is what we were looking for, but still changes can take time to get used to. We live in a small town nearly 4 hours drive from the capital of Halifax, sometimes we think that that was not the best move but to be honest there were probably 100 places we could have settled and been happy. We are not working so of course this can make the difference. I wonder what the criteria is now for emigration, thirty years ago it was points ...how many children, jobs, money etc...my husband had a job to come to which is why we actually did come in the first place. Oil and Gas kept him working in Calgary, it is a bit boom and bust out there but when it is good it is very very good. From what you were saying I think you are drawn to the coast rather than inland. We have a great many lakes in NS and a lot of the locals really enjoy being on and near them, we have joined that group as well as the coast is never too far away. Your two choices are very diverse, really couldn't be more different so do lots of research. I hope I can help if you have any questions about this end of the country.....
Welcome to BE Novagranny.

Thank you for your offer of help...it is appreciated. After living in Canada for many years you must have a wealth of knowledge to share with our members.

You will find links to our Canada forums in my post above. Why don't you take a look around and join in?

I hope you enjoy being part of our cyber community.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Looking to emigrate either BC or Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE Novagranny.

Thank you for your offer of help...it is appreciated. After living in Canada for many years you must have a wealth of knowledge to share with our members.

You will find links to our Canada forums in my post above. Why don't you take a look around and join in?

I hope you enjoy being part of our cyber community.
Thank you, I can see how it is easier to stay within the parameters of a particular heading e.g. country, I wasn't paying attention, just wanted to get started and thought yes I think I can add something. I find it interesting to see how the posts and opinions change within certain age groups and to be honest very relevant. In this part of Canada (Maritimes) being able to earn a living can be paramount to whether one can survive here, there are a lot of retirees that live here very comfortably because of the cost of homes, not the cost of living.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novagranny
Hi nova granny,
Thank you so much for your reply. I haven't been on the forum for a while as been sick with pneumonia!!
Imigration is still point based along with provincial nominee programs and other programmes. We plan to apply for a visa using my nursing to get a job placement. I have spent a lot of time looking at different areas of nova scotia and am happily surprised at the cost of some of the homes.
Would you be able to shed any light on cost of living on average for things like heating, house insurance, phone, cable tv, cars etc and medical insurance as I like to have an idea to Gage our plans on?
We are off to the Canada expo this weekend and will be making a bee line for UK2Novascotia who have been very helpful.
Will keep in touch with you, we plan to visit in spring of 2013 for a research visit,
Many thanks
Michelle & Dave Collins
Old Nov 17th 2011, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hi Dave and Michelle...welcome to BE.

I'm sorry it took a while to reply to you...I overlooked your thread yesterday. I think you'll find our Canada forums very useful in your quest to move to Canada.

If you click on the link I've given you above it will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

I think you may also be interested in out Working Abroad by Profession forums. You will note that we have dedicated sub forums to cover nurses and police.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Please shout out if you should require further assistance.
Hi jersey girl,
Thank you so much for the info, we will be looking at those
LInks that you have supplied now
We are still hoping to get into Canada on the FSW visa or PNP visa. We are off to a Canada expo this weekend so hopefully can speak to lots of people who will be able to answer questions.
Will keep you posted on our p,and, we are looking at going in 4 years time and it will be either nova scotia or bc,
Many thanks
Dave & Michelle
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Dave & Michelle,
Just thought I would reply to your thread. I am a serving police officer in Hampshire and my wife, Debra is a social worker.
We are hoping to move to Canada and more precisely Nova Scotia in the next 18 months.
We are going for a recce for 10 days and fly out on 24th March 2012. We are really looking forward to it. We are going with our 17 year old son, Sam. I have made some really good contacts/friends from this site, they have given me so much information about how about moving to Nova Scotia. They have told me the good and bad bits as well!!
We want to live in Canada to experience a new way of life and hopefully a more relaxed way of working and living. The place looks a wonderful place to live with lots of space and new places to explore.
If you need any more information just let us know.
Good luck with your journey and hope it goes well, you never know we might meet one day in Canada

John & Debra
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:22 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave and Michelle

Welcome back to BE
Hope you're recovered from illness now

All the best

Dread - x
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PortchesterRoyal
Hello Dave & Michelle,
Just thought I would reply to your thread. I am a serving police officer in Hampshire and my wife, Debra is a social worker.
We are hoping to move to Canada and more precisely Nova Scotia in the next 18 months.
We are going for a recce for 10 days and fly out on 24th March 2012. We are really looking forward to it. We are going with our 17 year old son, Sam. I have made some really good contacts/friends from this site, they have given me so much information about how about moving to Nova Scotia. They have told me the good and bad bits as well!!
We want to live in Canada to experience a new way of life and hopefully a more relaxed way of working and living. The place looks a wonderful place to live with lots of space and new places to explore.
If you need any more information just let us know.
Good luck with your journey and hope it goes well, you never know we might meet one day in Canada

John & Debra
Hi John and Debra,
Please do let us know what it's like when you go over on your visit. We hope to go 2013 for a few weeks and with luck we will eventually move. Are you retiring from the police?
Please do keep in touch and good luck with your visit
Kind regard
Dave & Michelle
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi John and Debra,
Please do let us know what it's like when you go over on your visit. We hope to go 2013 for a few weeks and with luck we will eventually move. Are you retiring from the police?
Please do keep in touch and good luck with your visit
Kind regard
Dave & Michelle
Hi Dave & Michelle,
Will keep in touch and let you know how our recce goes.
I have been in the police for 8 years and served 23 years in the Royal Navy I am a young 47 so will not be retiring, will have to find another job
Chat soon
John
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PortchesterRoyal
Hi Dave & Michelle,
Will keep in touch and let you know how our recce goes.
I have been in the police for 8 years and served 23 years in the Royal Navy I am a young 47 so will not be retiring, will have to find another job
Chat soon
John
Thanks john,
My husband has been in the force for almost 25 years now so even though he will have officially retired he will not be sitting on his laurels when we move !,
He wants to just work part time whilst I will still have to work full time.
We will keep in touch with you and Debra ,
Take care
Dave & Michelle
Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Looking to emigrate either BC or Nova Scotia

Hi nova granny,
Thank you so much for your reply. I haven't been on the forum for a while as been sick with pneumonia!!
Imigration is still point based along with provincial nominee programs and other programmes. We plan to apply for a visa using my nursing to get a job placement. I have spent a lot of time looking at different areas of nova scotia and am happily surprised at the cost of some of the homes.
Would you be able to shed any light on cost of living on average for things like heating, house insurance, phone, cable tv, cars etc and medical insurance as I like to have an idea to Gage our plans on?
We are off to the Canada expo this weekend and will be making a bee line for UK2Novascotia who have been very helpful.
Will keep in touch with you, we plan to visit in spring of 2013 for a research visit,
Many thanks
Michelle & Dave Collins
Hi Michelle and Dave..
Sorry to hear about the pneumonia never a good thing but on the subject of health I thought I would try and explain as best I can about health coverage and if I miss something or if viewed differently from how others see it I am sure someone will set us straight.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/health/msi/ ....this is where you can find out a lot regarding what is and what is not covered. All Provinces have a sales tax, they are different from place to place, in NS it is called HST (Harmonised Sales Tax) which means we don't have to pay health care for our families we are covered for treatment at the Doctors office and in Hospital. But as far as prescriptions are concerned, unlike the UK where everyone only ever pays 5 pounds for all prescription, we have to take care of our own but there is Blue Cross where you pay a monthly fee and a percentage is covered after having payed for 3 months but they will not pay for any prescription for pre-existing ailments and they are very thorough in their investigations. My husband and I were paying Blue Cross for roughly 8 years and hardly ever claimed and wondered constantly if we should ever have joined but the worry is always if we cancelled then some horrible disease would attack, the cost also continued to increase year by year it was roughly $85.00 a month...so until we both qualified at age 65 for Senior Pharmacare (there is also a Family Pharmacare) we continued paying Blue Cross. Pharmacare doesn't ask health questions but they do tend to encourage use of generic medications which works out fine. I should also warn that unfortunately there is not a glut of Doctors in Nova Scotia. We are very fortunate to have a Doctor here, I think I talked my way onto his list but equally we could have been here for these past 10 years without one, we have a large hospital and a very busy Outpatients/Emergency where people can sit for many hours waiting for a prescription, it is not ideal. So that might be something to research before anything else, Towns or areas that have Medical Clinics because finding a GP is like winning the lottery...I will be happy to tell later about the expenditures that we have here and anything else that I think you might be interested in...