Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Londoner in California

Londoner in California

Old May 2nd 2014, 11:14 pm
Codename:ID10t

DJElectricDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Londoner in California

Hello expats. My name is Adam, I live in Orange County in Southern California. Been here since December 1994, married for 18 years with a 9 yr old son.

Taking my boy back to the motherland for the first in May (with some luck - see other thread about passport problems). Will be the first time on native soil since 2001.

Life in SoCal is so different to Harrow. I still identify as a Londoner and always refer to England as home, although my family back there refer to me as an American.

Its way too hot here for my liking, and I don’t really care for the natives. It’s all a bit too superficial. I’m really hoping to move up to Seattle before too long. Much nicer climate, a really cool artsy vibe to the whole city, even though it is a big city in the London sense. And the locals seem much more genuine and interesting.

Thanks for the site. A great place to share stories, idea and ask for help
AdamM
Old May 2nd 2014, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Londoner in California

Hey Adam...I agree with you.
I can't wait to get back home after 15 years.
I hate the incessant heat and sunshine, and lack of rain.
I also miss the culture back home.

Still, it'll be a few years yet as I have a business going very well here.
Cheers
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hot enough for you today?
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:52 am

Hi there, you are practically a neighbour

Yeah I miss all the museums and art galleries and theatre in London.

Whats your business thats keeping you here? Do you find it is easier to be a business owner here? It seems that way to me, but never having ran a business over there I have no comparison. I get the impression the US is way more conducive to small biz ownership and entrepreneurism. Thats one aspect I really like and admire about here.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hot enough for you today?
Damn no kidding. 104 when I picked my kid up from school. Bloody stupid weather that is. Supposed to be prepping the house to paint this weekend. Not a bloody chance.
Old May 3rd 2014, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy
Damn no kidding. 104 when I picked my kid up from school. Bloody stupid weather that is. Supposed to be prepping the house to paint this weekend. Not a bloody chance.
Stay cool.
Old May 3rd 2014, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Mbristow7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hotscot
Hey Adam...I agree with you.
I can't wait to get back home after 15 years.
I hate the incessant heat and sunshine, and lack of rain.
I also miss the culture back home.

Still, it'll be a few years yet as I have a business going very well here.
Cheers
Hi couldn't sponsor me could you and I pay the cost I'm a kitchen fitter and love California I've had a ss for 25yrs
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Stay cool.
Yeah I’ll go see a movie
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mbristow7
Hi couldn't sponsor me could you and I pay the cost I'm a kitchen fitter and love California I've had a ss for 25yrs
That would be illegal.
And besides you wouldn't get a visa as a kitchen fitter as they already have those in America.

Last edited by Hotscot; May 3rd 2014 at 6:03 pm.
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy

Whats your business thats keeping you here? Do you find it is easier to be a business owner here?
I sell extremely expensive scientific equipment to universities, National Labs, private research and Dept of Defense.
I work from home, phone and computer, I don't handle the products myself but instead have them shipped from the manufacturers to the client directly.
I do travel a lot across the U.S. and Canada which does wonders for air miles and hotel points however it's a double edged sword as traveling isn't always fun. (For example this month Los Angeles to Brookhaven Long Island to Chicago to Albuquerque with three whole days at home in between.)

I find it fairly easy as I have lots of experience in the scientific area, however California is a pretty poor business environment with all the regulations and fees.
I had been planning on going home in a few years but financially it would be hard to walk away from the business so I reckon another four or five years here then sell it, or hire someone to run it.

Used to live in Dana Point, hope to move back next year.

Last edited by Hotscot; May 3rd 2014 at 6:16 pm.
Old May 7th 2014, 6:10 pm

Hey hotscot. Sounds like a nice lucrative biz. Can see how it would be hard to walk away from that. My wife travels a lot for work so I can appreciate the wonder of airline miles. In fact one ticket back to Blighty was paid for by her previous travel

Dana Point is beautiful, but way too snooty for me. San Clemente is more my cup of tea. A real old beach town with an old beach town feel still. Not spoiled by the wealthy and their heavily manicured lawns and Spanish tile roofs.
Old May 7th 2014, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah but a beautiful harbour area.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:40 pm

Absolutely. When I worked in Capistrano I would go down to the harbour for fins n chips at lunch. Fresh air, a view, good food. Yep.
Old May 8th 2014, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For me, Ortega Burger at Proud Mary's
Old May 8th 2014, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Wind & Sea for happy hour Mai Tai's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.