Reload this Page >

London to New York...stuck

London to New York...stuck

Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

DanDanDan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London to New York...stuck

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to find a way to get to NYC to live and work and be with my girlfriend who is a US resident and citizen. We've maintained a long distance relationship for 5 and a half years. Yeah.

I came here to hear about peoples similar experiences and hopefully gain some tips and advice on how to do this (good jobsites?). I need an H1B or a TN (I have dual nationality as a Canadian). Been applying for jobs for months now and no Joy. I have a BSC in technology and 5+ years in a corporate environment supporting electronic trading systems. I thought that would make it easy.

I just want to get there as quickly as possible. I hear you asking why we havent married yet. I know thats an obvious option but without going in to detail - its complicated.

Any advice/warnings/tips or anything that could help would be highly appreciated. HELP!

thank you.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:39 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London to New York...stuck

Originally Posted by DanDanDan
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to find a way to get to NYC to live and work and be with my girlfriend who is a US resident and citizen. We've maintained a long distance relationship for 5 and a half years. Yeah.

I came here to hear about peoples similar experiences and hopefully gain some tips and advice on how to do this (good jobsites?). I need an H1B or a TN (I have dual nationality as a Canadian). Been applying for jobs for months now and no Joy. I have a BSC in technology and 5+ years in a corporate environment supporting electronic trading systems. I thought that would make it easy.

I just want to get there as quickly as possible. I hear you asking why we havent married yet. I know thats an obvious option but without going in to detail - its complicated.

Any advice/warnings/tips or anything that could help would be highly appreciated. HELP!

thank you.
Hi there and welcome

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the US visa system, or job market, but we have a large US section - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57 - if you ask in there, there are some helpful people around
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi DanDanDan . Welcome to the forum.

Best bet for you is to post a topic on the US section of the forum. I'm sure someone will have some tips for you.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to both of you. For some reason I'm struggling to quote and reply so hoping this will make it through. Sorry guys still figuring this out

Thanks again for your replies!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:56 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both of you. For some reason I'm struggling to quote and reply so hoping this will make it through. Sorry guys still figuring this out

Thanks again for your replies!
There is a quote button on the bottom right of every post - clicking that allows you to directly quote that post.

Next to that is a multi-quote button - if you want to quote more than one post, click this button on all the posts you want to quote, then click quote and they will all be included in your reply.

Hopefully that makes sense
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There is a quote button on the bottom right of every post - clicking that allows you to directly quote that post.

Next to that is a multi-quote button - if you want to quote more than one post, click this button on all the posts you want to quote, then click quote and they will all be included in your reply.

Hopefully that makes sense
Tried that but I get a waning about multiple posts...Hopefully it's worked this time?!?! Thanks for your help
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:05 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Tried that but I get a waning about multiple posts...Hopefully it's worked this time?!?! Thanks for your help
Yep sorry about that, there's a blip going on at the moment. Tech are working on it.

Oh and welcome to BE!!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:05 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Yep sorry about that, there's a blip going on at the moment. Tech are working on it.

Oh and welcome to BE!!
Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

thank you.
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary