Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi from New Mexico

Hi from New Mexico

Old May 16th 2011, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi from New Mexico

Hello all,

I recently discovered this forum so I thought I would register and join the community. I moved to New Mexico from the UK seven years ago. I'd wanted to live in New Mexico since I was in my early teens, and in my early 20s I had the opportunity to do postgraduate study in the US. My intention was to stay for a couple of years and then return to the UK or go on somewhere else, but we all know what they say about the best laid plans...

Anyway, I'm happy to find a community of expats! There aren't many Brits out here, I think I've run into five since I moved. Looking forward to posting more. Cheers.
Old May 16th 2011, 2:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from New Mexico

Hi and welcome from Spain. Congratulations on finding BE. You will find that the members are a friendly and helpful group of people so if you have any questions ask away. I suspect that after the length of time that you have lived in New Mexico that you will be a font of information for others. Can I ask what made you want to live there, had you visited or was it based on research? Oh, forgot to tell you that a lot of us are very nosey so will ask questions such as this.

Rosemary
Old May 16th 2011, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rose tea
Hello all,

I recently discovered this forum so I thought I would register and join the community. I moved to New Mexico from the UK seven years ago. I'd wanted to live in New Mexico since I was in my early teens, and in my early 20s I had the opportunity to do postgraduate study in the US. My intention was to stay for a couple of years and then return to the UK or go on somewhere else, but we all know what they say about the best laid plans...

Anyway, I'm happy to find a community of expats! There aren't many Brits out here, I think I've run into five since I moved. Looking forward to posting more. Cheers.
We are happy you have found us too...a very warm welcome to BE.

We have a few members living in New Mexico...although I have no idea if any live near you. Why don't you pop over there to our US Forums and take a look around?

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.

Edit: This thread maybe of interest to you...it's a few years old but it shows the usernames of a few members living in NM.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 16th 2011 at 2:51 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Jerseygirl! Always interesting to come across Brits who live in this state, so hopefully I'll run into a few here. I will check out the US forums.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Hi and welcome from Spain. Congratulations on finding BE. You will find that the members are a friendly and helpful group of people so if you have any questions ask away. I suspect that after the length of time that you have lived in New Mexico that you will be a font of information for others. Can I ask what made you want to live there, had you visited or was it based on research? Oh, forgot to tell you that a lot of us are very nosey so will ask questions such as this.

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary. I had never visited NM before moving here; the closest I had been was Las Vegas. I loved the geography and climate of Vegas and so I decided I would do well here. I love how much it reminds me of Spain, in geography and culture, as Spain is definitely one of my favourite countries. I had done a little research on New Mexico as a teen and then a lot more once I seriously considered coming out here, but of course there's only so much you can get from books and the internet. In many ways I moved blind. Whereabouts in Spain do you live? How long have you been there?
Old May 16th 2011, 3:58 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rose tea
Hi Rosemary. I had never visited NM before moving here; the closest I had been was Las Vegas. I loved the geography and climate of Vegas and so I decided I would do well here. I love how much it reminds me of Spain, in geography and culture, as Spain is definitely one of my favourite countries. I had done a little research on New Mexico as a teen and then a lot more once I seriously considered coming out here, but of course there's only so much you can get from books and the internet. In many ways I moved blind. Whereabouts in Spain do you live? How long have you been there?
Live near Valencia and have been here nearly 5 years. Like you said there is only so much research you can do. To be honest I was not bothered about moving initially but then I found our house on the internet and when we came to see it I had a good feeling about the town so we bought it. I was totally right about the town, the people are wonderfully friendly and are very patient with us over our Spanish. My OH has been extremely ill for the last 18 months and we could not have wished for better friends than we have discovered we have here.

Rosemary
Old May 16th 2011, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Live near Valencia and have been here nearly 5 years. Like you said there is only so much research you can do. To be honest I was not bothered about moving initially but then I found our house on the internet and when we came to see it I had a good feeling about the town so we bought it. I was totally right about the town, the people are wonderfully friendly and are very patient with us over our Spanish. My OH has been extremely ill for the last 18 months and we could not have wished for better friends than we have discovered we have here.

Rosemary
I'm glad to hear you've had such good support. My support network here is one of the best I've ever had. I think I've been lucky, given that I see quite a few US expats saying they've found it very hard to have meaningful friendships in the US. My best wishes for your other half's health.