Reload this Page >

Irish Primary teacher wishing to work in Australia for two years

Irish Primary teacher wishing to work in Australia for two years

Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Elle82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Irish Primary teacher wishing to work in Australia for two years

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone out there could help me. I'm a 31 year old primary teacher from Ireland with 10 years teaching experience. I recently visited Australia and loved it and was thinking that I might like to live and work there for a couple of years. I was looking at either Northern Territory or WA because primary teachers seem to be on those particular Skilled migration lists.

I have no idea what the correct procedures are though to work as a teacher in Australia. Do I start by putting in an Expression of interest? And if I do that, initially, will I have to do a proficiency test in English even though English is my first language?

I know that I have to get my degree accredited by the Australian Government as well and signed by a peace commissioner. Some people have said that I have to get the qualifications verified before I put in the Expression of Interest.

Also, if I was to be accepted. at what point would I apply for a job or would I have to organise a visa before I got a job. I may be getting ahead of myself here but I'd at least like to know.

Basically, I'm confused and I want to know what I need to do to teach in Australia and in what order I need to do it. I'd welcome anyone's advice.

Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:57 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish Primary teacher wishing to work in Australia for two years

welcome to BE

My first thought is to check out the Immigration website

http://www.immi.gov.au/

and you could also have a chat with the people who have made the move or are going through it now on the Australian section

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:33 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Elle and welcome to the forum
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elle82
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone out there could help me. I'm a 31 year old primary teacher from Ireland with 10 years teaching experience. I recently visited Australia and loved it and was thinking that I might like to live and work there for a couple of years. I was looking at either Northern Territory or WA because primary teachers seem to be on those particular Skilled migration lists.

I have no idea what the correct procedures are though to work as a teacher in Australia. Do I start by putting in an Expression of interest? And if I do that, initially, will I have to do a proficiency test in English even though English is my first language?

I know that I have to get my degree accredited by the Australian Government as well and signed by a peace commissioner. Some people have said that I have to get the qualifications verified before I put in the Expression of Interest.

Also, if I was to be accepted. at what point would I apply for a job or would I have to organise a visa before I got a job. I may be getting ahead of myself here but I'd at least like to know.

Basically, I'm confused and I want to know what I need to do to teach in Australia and in what order I need to do it. I'd welcome anyone's advice.

Thanks
Definitely check out the two links posted by MrsFychan, also there is a forum specially for teachers, here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80

You are kind-of on the right lines, but you need to read up on the Immi website as you will have to get your skills assessed and meet other requirements before submitting an EOI. Have a good read and then post in our Australia forums where there are plenty of teachers to help you out.