British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Intro from an Oldie! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/intro-oldie-672356/)

brownknees Jun 14th 2010 6:51 am

Intro from an Oldie!

Hello fellow expats! I am a power station engineer and started my travels back in my RAF days with a weekend in Gibralter 1960!!Was amazed at how it could be warm in February!Spent two years in Aden and visited several places like Mombasa and Nairobi ,Bahrein when it was a small town !!After I left the RAF I spent five years in the power industry learning the business and got itchy feet and went to Zambia for a couple of years,after that Algeria and to many other places!!Now in Cairo in what I hope will be my last job and I can hang up my Hard hat!!
Oh yes,I now live in Thailand (more than twelve years now!!)

Ka Ora! Jun 14th 2010 7:29 am

Re: Intro from an Oldie!

Originally Posted by brownknees (Post 8631495)
Hello fellow expats! I am a power station engineer and started my travels back in my RAF days with a weekend in Gibralter 1960!!Was amazed at how it could be warm in February!Spent two years in Aden and visited several places like Mombasa and Nairobi ,Bahrein when it was a small town !!After I left the RAF I spent five years in the power industry learning the business and got itchy feet and went to Zambia for a couple of years,after that Algeria and to many other places!!Now in Cairo in what I hope will be my last job and I can hang up my Hard hat!!

Welcome to the Forum Brownknees, We have a Far East Section which will be up your street;) Dont hesitate to contact one of the Forum Leaders if you have any issues. Lots of Ex Forces personnel here we get about.

Jerseygirl Jun 14th 2010 11:04 am

Hello brownknees and welcome to our little cyber community.

As Ka Ora said we have many ex service men and women who are BE members.

As well as our Far East forum you may be interested in our Africa Forum.

Please contact a mod or admin if you require any assistance navigating the forums or have any problems/concerns...we will be pleased to help you.

Casa Santo Estevo Jun 14th 2010 11:10 am

I bet that you find Thailand warm all year not just in Feb:)...welcome to the forum

brownknees Jun 14th 2010 12:10 pm

Yes its pretty hot but you get used to it!Unlike work you can wear what you like to stay cool!!Heres its about 33/34 by midday and humid ,cool mornings so not so bad!Abu dhabi oilfield was 55 at lunch time and Siberia about -30!!Extremes eh!!

brownknees Jun 15th 2010 12:40 pm

Re: reply from an Oldie!

Hello Helenk,
where are you living at the moment?Somewhere nice?what country are you from?I am english but have not lived there for a long time only returning to visit family and friends.The world has so much variety and you really dont have a lot of time to see it all!!Work gets in the way!!

Dewb09 Jun 17th 2010 4:31 pm

Hi & welcome to the site :thumbsup: wow you have really travelled. You so right the world has so much variety ;)

Dewb09

brownknees Jun 17th 2010 6:16 pm

Well I have been travelling since 1960 so yes been around!!Some with the RAF(air force!!)and after that as a industrial mercenary as we band of brothers call ourselves!!Construction and buildling all sorts of things all over the world.Its been an exciting life and now I want to retire after this job here in Egypt.Met many people and still keep in touch with many thanks to the www!!Hope you enjoy your time exploring the world!

Dewb09 Jun 19th 2010 6:51 am

Wow how exciting, bet you have seen so much of the world :thumbsup:

"Industrial mercenaries" love it great name :thumbsup:

Just getting ready for our big move to NZ, feel really anxious about it, but looking forward to it :confused:

Debby

brownknees Jun 19th 2010 5:10 pm

Hope you enjoy NZ,I have friends who have a son who settled their and he enjoys it!The world is a lot smaller than when I started travelling!I mean now communication is instant and your never really away from friends .In Aden we used to get a monthly volume of the "Daily Mirror"which you would sit all night browsing1No telephones either or faxes !!We actually used to write letters!Funny my youngest daughter kept a lot of my letters from all over!!They will probably be on the "Antique roadshow 2050"!!!Dont worry to much just enjoy every minute you can ,life as they say is short, I still have not done travelling yet!!

Dewb09 Jun 19th 2010 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by brownknees (Post 8643215)
Hope you enjoy NZ,I have friends who have a son who settled their and he enjoys it!The world is a lot smaller than when I started travelling!I mean now communication is instant and your never really away from friends .In Aden we used to get a monthly volume of the "Daily Mirror"which you would sit all night browsing1No telephones either or faxes !!We actually used to write letters!Funny my youngest daughter kept a lot of my letters from all over!!They will probably be on the "Antique roadshow 2050"!!!Dont worry to much just enjoy every minute you can ,life as they say is short, I still have not done travelling yet!!

:rofl::thumbsup: yes that old quaint tradition of writing a letter, soon to be a forgotten art. But you are right with communication being how it is now the world isnt such a big place anymore. Think I will be drooling over Marks & spencers website once we go :rolleyes:

Dewb

brownknees Jun 20th 2010 4:20 am

Supermarkets are also global now!!Here in Cairo we shop at Carrefoure the French chain which also has a branch in Pattaya near us in Thailand !M&S in Bangkok and a branch was opening in Alexandria as we left!!Also Orchard road in Singapore and Jakarts!!You see the world is a global village!!!Mind you if I was going to NZ then I would be out each weekend enjoying nature!Looks a stunning country ,enjoy it!!!

Dewb09 Jun 20th 2010 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by brownknees (Post 8643913)
Supermarkets are also global now!!Here in Cairo we shop at Carrefoure the French chain which also has a branch in Pattaya near us in Thailand !M&S in Bangkok and a branch was opening in Alexandria as we left!!Also Orchard road in Singapore and Jakarts!!You see the world is a global village!!!Mind you if I was going to NZ then I would be out each weekend enjoying nature!Looks a stunning country ,enjoy it!!!

Thank you

:o yeah its beautiful & will be lovely to have such beautiful scenery all about me. I just love to have lots of choice when I go shopping (guess its what I am used to )Hubster will be pleased though, less choice = less time choosing = more time getting out & enjoying NZ :lol:

Cheers again
Dewb

brownknees Jun 21st 2010 4:05 am

I can see a cheap return to Sydney on your agenda!!You will probably be pleasantly suprised at what you can get their.If you look on the web you should get a fair idea of whats their.Probaly electronic goods are more expensive as are cars so if you are shipping put a good car on the list,plus spares!!!!

Dewb09 Jun 21st 2010 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by brownknees (Post 8645611)
I can see a cheap return to Sydney on your agenda!!You will probably be pleasantly suprised at what you can get their.If you look on the web you should get a fair idea of whats their.Probaly electronic goods are more expensive as are cars so if you are shipping put a good car on the list,plus spares!!!!

:wub: thank you had not thought about that ;)

Yes we are shipping, cant believe we are filling up a 40ft container :o :eek: I think its all the kids stuff that is taking up most of it :rolleyes:

Lots on the NZ forum have all said bring everything ,as they found things pricey over there in comparison. I guess once you are over 20ft you may as well ram it all in :lol:

Dewb