Intro

Old May 31st 2017, 10:08 am
Just Joined

reganal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intro

This is Regan, I live in Chicago and have been in the US now since 1999. Prior to that I worked in Germany for 18 years. I am now looking to retire and return to the U.K. And hope that I can learn from the shared experiences here the best way to do that.
Old May 31st 2017, 10:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intro

Originally Posted by reganal
This is Regan, I live in Chicago and have been in the US now since 1999. Prior to that I worked in Germany for 18 years. I am now looking to retire and return to the U.K. And hope that I can learn from the shared experiences here the best way to do that.
Welcome to BE.

Please take a few minutes to read the site rules, beige bar at the top, and, should you have any site problems please contact one of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom of the page.

Have a read of the threads in the 'moving back to the UK' forum there is plenty of good advice there, assuming you are a British Citizen then you will have no problem moving here, and you will be eligible for the NHS from day one.

Moving back to the UK - British Expats
Old May 31st 2017, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, Mike. Yes, I have always kept my British citizenship and was never enticed into applying for either German or US citizenship. I am hoping that means I will be eligible for the NHS. Already started collecting my British pension a couple of years back (based on my sex and age I could do that at 62.5 years). Waiting to apply for my German pension in a few months! I will most certainly look at the different threads relating to moving back to the U.K. Thanks again!
Old May 31st 2017, 3:25 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reganal
Thank you, Mike. Yes, I have always kept my British citizenship and was never enticed into applying for either German or US citizenship. I am hoping that means I will be eligible for the NHS. Already started collecting my British pension a couple of years back (based on my sex and age I could do that at 62.5 years). Waiting to apply for my German pension in a few months! I will most certainly look at the different threads relating to moving back to the U.K. Thanks again!
For British Citizens NHS treatment is residency based, so once resident in the UK you will be able to access the service.
Old May 31st 2017, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that confirmation.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 5:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just to throw this into the pot, along with a big welcome and hello, taking US Citizen will not make you lose your British citizenship. But since you are returning home to enjoy your retirement, you probably are not planning on returning to the US to live in the future and if you have worked 40 quarters in the US you can collect your social security benefits without having to acquire US citizenship.

I know you will find all the information you need to make the transition back to home as painless as possible in the MBTTUK forum Mike pointed you to.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 9:11 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary