Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

intoduction-newbie - Thinking of returning to Australia

intoduction-newbie - Thinking of returning to Australia

Old May 21st 2011, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

jackiedav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default intoduction-newbie - Thinking of returning to Australia

Moved to Aus 2006 - with hubby and daughter (Age 17, and not keen to go!!) Took our two dogs and house contents! Spent 2 years inland NSW. Then moved to the Mornington Peninsula VIC to experience seaside living, and bought a house, after a year we decided to return to the UK, for a number of reasons....although we had a great time, loved Aus/people/lifestyle but had that feeling of 'not belonging/something missing?' also husband didn't like his job there, we were missing our son in UK and rest of family. So back we came. But our daughter stayed on at uni there!! Which was hard. We both were initially delighted to be home, and back in our cottage which we had rented out, both got jobs back here fairly easily. Settled back although some friends had 'moved on!' But overall picked up where we left off! But last few months feeling unsettled again!...... Husbands job insecure and to top it all out son moved to Melbourne last week!! - Hey ho. Both my children there now!! Not sure what to do - we have our citizenship. We can give advice on moving out and returning?
Old May 21st 2011, 10:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: intoduction-newbie

Originally Posted by jackiedav
Moved to Aus 2006 - with hubby and daughter (Age 17, and not keen to go!!) Took our two dogs and house contents! Spent 2 years inland NSW. Then moved to the Mornington Peninsula VIC to experience seaside living, and bought a house, after a year we decided to return to the UK, for a number of reasons....although we had a great time, loved Aus/people/lifestyle but had that feeling of 'not belonging/something missing?' also husband didn't like his job there, we were missing our son in UK and rest of family. So back we came. But our daughter stayed on at uni there!! Which was hard. We both were initially delighted to be home, and back in our cottage which we had rented out, both got jobs back here fairly easily. Settled back although some friends had 'moved on!' But overall picked up where we left off! But last few months feeling unsettled again!...... Husbands job insecure and to top it all out son moved to Melbourne last week!! - Hey ho. Both my children there now!! Not sure what to do - we have our citizenship. We can give advice on moving out and returning?
Hello...welcome to BE.

It sounds like you could become a Ping Pong Pom. I know what it's like to have kids living in a different country. We live in the US...our daughter lives in Canada and we would probably like to move back to the UK in the not too distant future. There are quite a few of us in a similar position. The decision on where to live when your kids are living on a different land mass is very difficult.

You could take a look through the old threads in our Moving Back To The UK Forum....there are several who post in that forum who have ping ponged between countries. I suggest you also take a look at the Australia Forums too. I think you'll find our members to be very supportive and understanding.

We have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guides if you need help navigating your way through the many BE forums. You can find a list of our concierge's at the bottom right hand side of this forum's index page.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator...you can find the mod's name at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold print and concierges' names are in standard print.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 21st 2011 at 10:39 pm.
Old May 22nd 2011, 3:00 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: intoduction-newbie

Hi jackiedav,

Welcome to BE. As JG wrote many of our members are torn like yourselves and have become ping-pom poms. The pull of children and family is a strong one indeed. So you aren't alone and I'm sure you will connect with others here who know how you feel.

So dive right on in to the Australia forum and get to know everyone.

Sue
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:07 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: intoduction-newbie - Thinking of returning to Australia

Hi and a big BE welcome from Spain.

I see that Jerseygirl and Sue have been pointing you in the right direction for forums that will help you to make this difficult decision. Bet you could not believe it when your son moved to Aus.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

jackiedav is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all that have replied!!
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jackiedav & welcome to BE.

I hope you are able to get some help with your plans to maybe return to Aus. It's a difficult one. We have ping-ponged between NZ & UK, though there are just the two of us to think about. OH loves it in NZ & I'm 50/50 about both countries . Some times I wish I was back in England & other times I love it here. Just take each day at a time for now.

Good luck