Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigrating from United Kingdom to Canada?

Immigrating from United Kingdom to Canada?

Old Sep 1st 2014, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

remysingh is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Immigrating from United Kingdom to Canada?

Hi all, I have been in the process of looking for employment in Canada for about a year now and it seems nothing is coming through probably because my resume does not fall under the 'skilled trades' I am just unsure on what other options are open to me? And just wanted to hear stories on people who lived in the UK previously and how you got there and the time it took?

Thanks.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating from United Kingdom to Canada?

Much better

What do you do? What does your partner (if you have one) do? There are lots of ways into Canada, although many of them are reliant on a skill or a job. In order to point you in the right direction, you'll likley be asked some questions. You'll also be advised to make a brew and sit and read the wiki on this site, many of your answers are probably in there.

Most on this section have moved from the UK to Canada and have very different experiences. Apart from a few exceptions anyway, that's where many are from, and live or have lived in Canada.

We moved here 9 years ago, originally on a TWP, and then applied for PR once we got here. The TWP took about 3 months, then we had our PR within a year. My husband has a trade, and we would have qualified for PR without the job, but he was very fortunate to land one pretty much as soon as he started looking. Our Citizenship application took almost exactly a year, from 2012-2013.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Well at the moment it is me and my Mum looking to immigrate, she has many qualifications and experience and also a a COE (certificate of eligibility) to work in Canada. We were just unsure whether she could apply for a TWP from here without having a job offer and then come to Canada and then look for a job? or does she have to have a job offer pending before applying for TWP because we are aware once you're rejected its pretty hard to apply for any visa again? What was your husbands trade if you don't mind me asking? and did he land a job once he got to Canada, I don't know if the policies have changed since then going to have a look through the wiki, thanks for the help.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

We have also contacted a immigration company based in Canada that have told us for a price of $12,000 they could get my mum a permanent residency within a couple of weeks and then I would be her dependant but we never went ahead with this because we have just been unsure if its true?
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

He's an engineering pattern maker. To get a TWP you need the job first. I'm not familiar with the COE, how did she get that? How old are you both?
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would personally be wary of any company making promises like that. Also, what are her skills/experience?
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Just read up on the wiki I understand you need a job offer but the job has to be advertised for over 3 weeks before they can hire you, kind of makes it harder. We joined a immigration company (global migrate) and they obtained the COE for her but still have not found her a job. I am 18 and she is 35. I understand so the best route to getting there is to get a job and then apply for TWP, so you can confirm once there you can apply for PR from inside of Canada? Mostly admin/medical reception work, social work, beauty therapist, support worker/youth worker.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

To be honest, I've never heard of a COE, and I'm not having much luck on Google. Who gave it to her, the immigration consultants, or is it from CIC?

You can apply for PR once here if you qualify. Her qualifications and experience would likely determine that. And yes, TWPs are only issued (supposedly) if the company can prove that they can't find a Canadian to do it.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

They told her it was just a certificate to show she is eligible to work in Canada, I will ask her tomorrow to show me it so I can check if it was issued by CIC or the company themselves. Okay great and then do you just go to a visa office and make the application. Im hoping she lands a job soon, so did you just go as a dependant or did you also have to get a two?
Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

You don't go to an office, you download and print the forms and guides from cic.gc.ca for the route you are taking and follow their instructions and include all of the supporting documentation they ask for. Have you looked at that site?

What exactly do they mean by eligible to work in Canada? Does she have any other ties here? I don't think you'd be eligible without having TWO, PR, Citizenship, that sort of thing. You haven't said what kind of job she's looking for, where or how she is looking for it. This is all very vague...
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm I have no idea what this COE might be, nor who or what issued it (I. E. Nothing to do with immigration.)

Do a google search on the company you mention. Read the Wiki on this site, & have a look at the Canada section.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

How old are you? Notice – Changes to the definition of a dependent child
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah. Yes. I wasn't aware it had been reduced. Good point Shirtback.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dashie, I double checked and the COE was issued by CIC? So I don't understand. She is looking for a job within social, youth work and also administrative health receptionist work and also as a live in caregiver. She has all the necessary qualifications just trying to find a employer really. I have been on the cic website now I understand, we are now thinking of trying Quebec because the employment and PR system is more relaxed I suppose it is just being bilingual is a priority.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Shirtback, I have googled the company they are called global migrate not that much on them kind of seems like the reviews are wrote by theirselves. I am 18 and not 19 until next year July so I have just scraped the new 19 policy although I do have a sister who is immigrating with us who is 19 and we wee told from our immigration company that she shouldn't be a problem which my mum got quite assured off, me myself still do see this as a problem it is not as if a immigration company can bend the rules so is it best for my sister also to look for a job and apply for twp or could she apply for a temp resident permit using the fact that her mum is a twp holder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.