Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

I'm new here, need guidance please...

I'm new here, need guidance please...

Old May 15th 2012, 4:13 am
Just Joined

MIGI3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm new here, need guidance please...

Hello everyone, I have had a green card for 10 yrs and am considering the naturalization test to become a US Citizen mainly for the benefit of my children who have been raised in the US and love it. I am told that the UK does not disown it's citizens even if they opt to take citizenship of another country - is this true? THANKS.
Old May 15th 2012, 6:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm new here, need guidance please...

Originally Posted by MIGI3
Hello everyone, I have had a green card for 10 yrs and am considering the naturalization test to become a US Citizen mainly for the benefit of my children who have been raised in the US and love it. I am told that the UK does not disown it's citizens even if they opt to take citizenship of another country - is this true? THANKS.

Yes, once a British citizen, always a British citizen, you will just have dual nationality.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:33 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome

I'm pretty much in the same position. Been here for 16 years and just now thinking about the whole Citizenship thing.
Old May 15th 2012, 12:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

to BE.

There are plenty of us 'dualies' on BE...most of us hang out in the US Forums. Why don't you pop over there and take a look around? I look forward to seeing you in the US Forums.
Old May 18th 2012, 2:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 20th 2012, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

MIGI3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for advice, I will check out the BE Wiki, etc, as you recommended. Does anyone know if there are any perks to becoming a USC (apart from being allowed to vote or run for office that is)? If there is a British person reading who would like to correspond with me privately, I'd love to make some British friends here in the US so mail me on here and we will see how things go! Thanks.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for advice, I will check out the BE Wiki, etc, as you recommended. Does anyone know if there are any perks to becoming a USC (apart from being allowed to vote or run for office that is)? If there is a British person reading who would like to correspond with me privately, I'd love to make some British friends here in the US so mail me on here and we will see how things go! Thanks.
You haven't mentioned your location in the US...but we have a US Meet-up forum you may be interested in. Take a look through the threads there may well be a group of BE members from your area who get together. If not you could open a new thread and try to arrange a meet up.
Old May 21st 2012, 12:42 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of us here who have taken up citizenship so you won't be alone

Where abouts in the US are you?
Old May 23rd 2012, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

jopavi73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have been here since 1978 on a Green Card and aside from the escalating fees of becoming a citizen I should but I'm divorced from the US gal I married and my daughter is a citizen. It is my belief that you get to keep your UK passport or at least remain a UK citizen. I'm hoping to take one last vacation back to UK next year but would like to get a new UK drivers permit, the one with the photo, do you know if this can be done on line?
Old May 24th 2012, 10:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jopavi73
Have been here since 1978 on a Green Card and aside from the escalating fees of becoming a citizen I should but I'm divorced from the US gal I married and my daughter is a citizen. It is my belief that you get to keep your UK passport or at least remain a UK citizen. I'm hoping to take one last vacation back to UK next year but would like to get a new UK drivers permit, the one with the photo, do you know if this can be done on line?
You can't get a UK driving licence unless you are resident there and have a permanent UK address, are you planning on moving back or just having a vacation?
Old May 24th 2012, 10:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by jopavi73
Please post any questions you have in the Trailer Park forum as this forum is purely for introductions. Thanks.
Old May 24th 2012, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

jopavi73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can't get a UK driving licence unless you are resident there and have a permanent UK address, are you planning on moving back or just having a vacation?
So I have been informed. I'm just going back for one last trip, all my family is gone or in the USA, I do still have many friends I'd like to see having stayed in touch for so many years. I'm told that the traffic is awfull but it will be a good vacation in spite of that.