Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

How do I emigrate to Australia, New Zealand, Canada?!

How do I emigrate to Australia, New Zealand, Canada?!

Old Nov 16th 2013, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

JEZZARD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I emigrate to Australia, New Zealand, Canada?!

Hi,

I'm keen to leave London and work in Australia, Canada, New Zealand or anywhere really but cannot see how to do this without a job offer. I am UK national, 34 years old, have worked for 5 years as a Government Analyst/ statistician & have a Masters degree.

I've read all the official websites saying that I need a job offer or my skills to appear on a list of shortages (they don't), and no applications I make for jobs abroad (unsurprisingly) get a reply. One option I notice is the New Zealand IEP visa, but this costs in total £500 and only lasts 12 months, including time to find a job. The other option is using a migration agent from UK which may cost with no guaranteed success.

Anyone have any tips, adivice or know any reputable UK based migration agents?

Thanks,
Jezzard
Old Nov 16th 2013, 8:39 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I emigrate to Australia, New Zealand, Canada?!

Originally Posted by JEZZARD
Hi,

I'm keen to leave London and work in Australia, Canada, New Zealand or anywhere really but cannot see how to do this without a job offer. I am UK national, 34 years old, have worked for 5 years as a Government Analyst/ statistician & have a Masters degree.

I've read all the official websites saying that I need a job offer or my skills to appear on a list of shortages (they don't), and no applications I make for jobs abroad (unsurprisingly) get a reply. One option I notice is the New Zealand IEP visa, but this costs in total £500 and only lasts 12 months, including time to find a job. The other option is using a migration agent from UK which may cost with no guaranteed success.

Anyone have any tips, adivice or know any reputable UK based migration agents?

Thanks,
Jezzard
Hi Jezzard and welcome to the forums

As you are finding out, it is not possible for everyone to be able to migrate. Without a skill on the CSOL, you will not be able to migrate to Australia. As for NZ and Canada, hopefully someone else will be able to help.

If you want to experience working life outside of the UK, have you considered Europe?

As for agents, you really need to know where you stand first - unscrupulous, unregistered agents have been known to promise the earth and take your money when there is really very little chance of success. The good ones will give you an honest opinion, but it may be one you do not like. For Australia, there are a few members who are also registered agents - TeeTMI, George Lombard and Alan Collett of Go Matilda are all well respected but they may only be able to advise on Australia. You may need to contact different agents for the other countries
Old Nov 16th 2013, 10:48 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

NZ - option is a Bunac Visa which could allow you to work and visit for up to 23mths. I'm afraid you are to old for a Working Holiday Visa.

http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-new-zealand

Migration agent will not be able to magic a visa out of a hat, If you do not meet the visa requirements you will not get a visa so don't waste your time or money on an agent

Have you checked out the points indicator as some people have enough points without having a job offer https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 16th 2013 at 10:50 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

For Canada, applying for jobs online won't get you anywhere as it's just not the way things are done there. You need to ideally get out there, or pick up the phone as a minimum.

Best thing to do is look at the Wiki which has a whole job hunting section, and also lots of info on the 50+ visa routes (hint: don't focus only in 'the list' of eligible occupations for Skilled Workers, as that's only one route of the 50 and not all would require you to have a job offer!).

Good luck, maybe see you in the Canada forums sometime.