Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

We're off to Hawaii

We're off to Hawaii

Old May 30th 2011, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

MrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really nice
Default We're off to Hawaii

Hi,

Me and the wife are off to Hawaii as herself has got a job out there. Has anyone got any top tips for moving to the U.S.? We're wondering about taking some of our stuff out with us. Does anyone have any advice about transporting books/appliances/bike/guitar etc.?

Also does anyone know anything about Hawaii? Are apartments generally furnished or not?

Any tips or advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks
Joe
Old May 30th 2011, 9:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're off to Hawaii

Originally Posted by MrsAndMr
Hi,

Me and the wife are off to Hawaii as herself has got a job out there. Has anyone got any top tips for moving to the U.S.? We're wondering about taking some of our stuff out with us. Does anyone have any advice about transporting books/appliances/bike/guitar etc.?

Also does anyone know anything about Hawaii? Are apartments generally furnished or not?

Thanks
Joe
Aloha and welcome to BE.

OMG....Hawaii is my very favourite place on the planet. Which island are you moving to...the Big Island? We used to have a few British members who lived in Oahu but I've not seen them around for a while. They are probably having a great time out there and haven't got time for cyber chatter.

The best thing to do is to re-post your questions in our US Forums. Generally unless the company is paying all shipping costs it's not worthwhile bringing things with you except personal belongings...as things are generally cheaper here. I don't know about Hawaii though. When I first went there 20+ years ago I thought it would be very expensive but it wasn't...haven't been back for several years so I can't advise you.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui. Although you can contact any mod or admin...there is usually one of us around 24/7.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 30th 2011 at 9:30 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

MrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really nice

Thanks great, thanks for your help.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks great, thanks for your help.
You are very welcome. You may find it useful to look at the US section of the BE Wiki. I don't know if you have all the immigration stuff sorted out but if not we have a fantastic US Immigration Forum.

I hope you enjoy being part of our cyber community.
Old May 30th 2011, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE! My cousin and her mother live in Maui and love it. Looking forward to getting to know you better.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck with the move!

The wiki as mentioned is a good spot, there's info in there about relocation packages so you can think about what you can get paid for, and then other things to consider as well as what might be worth bringing or not.

As for places to stay, most resort type locations usually have weekly rental furnished for a price and long term places that aren't corporate related generally aren't, though if you look at city-data.com you'll probably find out more info.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the world of BE.

Good luck with the move to US and the job. The members of the US forum are very friendly and helpful so enjoy your readings and postings.

Rosemary
Old May 31st 2011, 8:23 am
Just Joined

gecko1 will become famous soon enough

Good luck, Joe. I've been on Oahu for over 5 years. Got any questions, let me know - hopefully I can help.

I've viewed a fair few apartments, most were unfurnished but that may not be a true reflection of what is actually out there.

I haven't logged on here for ages, so it was quite funny to come across a Hawaii thread so soon
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Kia ora MrsAndMr & Gecko1. Welcome to BE. Wow, Hawaii! I'm soooo jealous. Happy posting
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Kia ora MrsAndMr & Gecko1. Welcome to BE. Wow, Hawaii! I'm soooo jealous. Happy posting
Cheers! I like how it says 'new member' yet I registered the account in 2007
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
Joe
Wow soooo jealous, I have been to Oahu 5 times and love, love, love it.

Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:23 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gecko1
Cheers! I like how it says 'new member' yet I registered the account in 2007
I think that the new member bit refers more to number of posts, so although you registered in 2007 you have not posted so are classed as a new member.

Rosemary
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I think that the new member bit refers more to number of posts, so although you registered in 2007 you have not posted so are classed as a new member.

Rosemary
yes I figured - my average posts per day must have skyrocketed
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by gecko1
yes I figured - my average posts per day must have skyrocketed

Rosemary