Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi.. Uk- Oz or Nz

Hi.. Uk- Oz or Nz

Old May 24th 2013, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

ShaunyC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi.. Uk- Oz or Nz

Hey just having a rumage around the net looking for info on the procces of migration to Australia or New Zeland..

Something i've wanted to do for years but never had the chance now i'm 30 with no comitments and think if i dont do it soon i'll regret it later..

This site sounds very informative from what i've read so far : ) and with making this move on my own would be nice to talk to others about it and hopefully make it feel not so daunting...

Not sure what else to say?? just a quick hello : )

Thanx Shaun
Old May 24th 2013, 3:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi.. Uk- Oz or Nz

Originally Posted by ShaunyC
Hey just having a rumage around the net looking for info on the procces of migration to Australia or New Zeland..

Something i've wanted to do for years but never had the chance now i'm 30 with no comitments and think if i dont do it soon i'll regret it later..

This site sounds very informative from what i've read so far : ) and with making this move on my own would be nice to talk to others about it and hopefully make it feel not so daunting...

Not sure what else to say?? just a quick hello : )

Thanx Shaun
Welcome to BE Shaun.

I like your attitude...take a chance now while you are young and free. After all you can always go home if it doesn't work out...but at least you gave it a try.

It's sounds like you know your way around the forums. I'm sure our lovely members in the Australia and New Zealand forums will do their best to answer any question you may have.

Good luck.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Shaun,

Nice name and spelled correctly too!

I recommend Australia, warmer and better chance of getting work IMHO.

Check out the Oz & NZ immi forums:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Good luck!
Old May 24th 2013, 11:25 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Shaun

I would say check out the Immigration criteria to see which is the best fit for you and costs for both countries.
then have a chat with yourself why you want to emigrate, what you hope to achieve and see which one ticks most the boxes.

what skills/qualifications do you have?
Old May 25th 2013, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE Shaun.

I like your attitude...take a chance now while you are young and free. After all you can always go home if it doesn't work out...but at least you gave it a try.

It's sounds like you know your way around the forums. I'm sure our lovely members in the Australia and New Zealand forums will do their best to answer any question you may have.

Good luck.
Thank you and hello Jerseygirl : ) I am somewhat torn at the moment but as you say you never know unless you try..

I'ma member on a few unrelated forums so it gives me the edge ; ) lol but having a scour found some of my google q's kept fetching me here : )
Omce i get a decent understanding and build up some questions i'l get them posted in the correct section : )

Thanx

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Welcome Shaun,

Nice name and spelled correctly too!

I recommend Australia, warmer and better chance of getting work IMHO.

Check out the Oz & NZ immi forums:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Good luck!
Haha thanx Afresco.. i had a little gripe at someone the other day for spelling my name Sean.. which dosent sound like Shaun however you pronounce it! lol

Thanx for your recomedation : ) I was thinking the big cities will be easier to get a job and easier for a plan B if needs be??

Thanx for the links i'll be having a good scour through them before firing any questions : )

Thanx

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Welcome Shaun

I would say check out the Immigration criteria to see which is the best fit for you and costs for both countries.
then have a chat with yourself why you want to emigrate, what you hope to achieve and see which one ticks most the boxes.

what skills/qualifications do you have?
Hi and thank you MrsFychan..

I've been on the http://www.immi.gov.au/ and from the visa wizaed section it gives me the options of a 186 187 and 189 or 98 cant remember but it's the first 2 that sounded more apealing.. Not 100% on what they was telling me though still making head and tail of it all..

From what i think iwas told more than sussed as yet it that the New Zeland visa is more expensive around £200 where as Auz is £170-80

I think the main reason at the minute for wanting to emergrate is there dosent seem to be alot holding me back friends/partner etc and its something i've wanted to do plus you countries leaders seem to have there head more screwed on than our monkeys and its making me sick! lol

I generally want to be happy and enjoy like and hopefully start a family one day : )

I'm a fully qualified electrician, been work for my self for a few year.. i also have a strong mechanical/engineering background I also have other qualifications such as saftey passport, breathing aporatus, fire saftey and a good health and satey knowladge... I use to be a plumber no papers though.. i have taught myself to weld, body fill and spray paint building my vw mk1 golf.. prob some othe stuff i've missed off?? lol

Thanx for your questions : )

So my plan of attack or the procedure i'm going to try and follow is(dont shoot me if this sounds wrong! lol)

Suss my visa.. 186/87
Suss where to live.. Perth, melbourne, sydney, christchurch, wellington?? etc
Look for work in most preferable places
Get sponsor and apply for visa
Look for residence
Get flight booked

Does that sound close?? lol
Old May 25th 2013, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Haha thanx Afresco.. i had a little gripe at someone the other day for spelling my name Sean.. which dosent sound like Shaun however you pronounce it! lol

Thanx for your recomedation : ) I was thinking the big cities will be easier to get a job and easier for a plan B if needs be??

Thanx for the links i'll be having a good scour through them before firing any questions : )

Thanx
You're welcome. Your post was not visible at it had links in and you're a new poster. I have freed it now.
Old May 25th 2013, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You're welcome. Your post was not visible at it had links in and you're a new poster. I have freed it now.
Thank you Alfresco : ) made me laugh with the deleting of my 'triplicate' post
lol
Old May 27th 2013, 2:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 27th 2013, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary and thank you for your post : ) I've been working all weekend so not had chance to delve further.. It all seems so daunting making the move on my own.. My sister did a year a while ago traveling an going again next year with her BF ending up in new zealand.. she spent alot of time in Malaysia last time.. she told me of a company called "Oz experince" were generaly a random group of people go over together and get shown the ropes, sounds quite apealing also she metioned i could ofer my services to places hit by the Tsunami in return of free acomadation and food?? I would like to feel i was helping out : ) And i dont feel the most social buterfly so would be a good way to meet people : )
Old May 28th 2013, 3:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on the http://www.immi.gov.au/ and from the visa wizaed section it gives me the options of a 186 187 and 189 or 98 cant remember but it's the first 2 that sounded more apealing.. Not 100% on what they was telling me though still making head and tail of it all..

From what i think iwas told more than sussed as yet it that the New Zeland visa is more expensive around £200 where as Auz is £170-80

I think the main reason at the minute for wanting to emergrate is there dosent seem to be alot holding me back friends/partner etc and its something i've wanted to do plus you countries leaders seem to have there head more screwed on than our monkeys and its making me sick! lol

I generally want to be happy and enjoy like and hopefully start a family one day : )

I'm a fully qualified electrician, been work for my self for a few year.. i also have a strong mechanical/engineering background I also have other qualifications such as saftey passport, breathing aporatus, fire saftey and a good health and satey knowladge... I use to be a plumber no papers though.. i have taught myself to weld, body fill and spray paint building my vw mk1 golf.. prob some othe stuff i've missed off?? lol

So my plan of attack or the procedure i'm going to try and follow is(dont shoot me if this sounds wrong! lol)

Suss my visa.. 186/87
Look for residence
Get flight booked

Hi Shaun,

If you pop into the Aus Immigration forum here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32 there are plenty of people who can help you make sense of the process.
Not sure about your estimate of the cost though, sounds a little low to me - where did you get the figures from?
Old May 28th 2013, 5:07 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Suss my visa.. 186/87
Look for residence
Get flight booked

Shaun, hello and welcome. Well done you for at least knowing what you're aiming for. To many people come onto this site and simply say, 'I/we want to emigrate to NZ, what do we need to do ?'. Having done no background research at all. Y'know, they just thought they'd fancy relocating on one rainy afternoon in Britain.

Expats forum can help mostly via personal experience.

I understand that in Australia salaries are higher but so is the cost of living.

Wellington is the administrative capital of New Zealand and as such has a reputation for being boring. If you Google nz government jobs there might be something suitable for you, even if it means living in a different town in NZ initially.
Old May 28th 2013, 7:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You are 30 . Young , free and single.
I recommend a working holiday visa.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Hello again.. sorry for digging up an old post but just finished "another" relationship so on the road to Auz again! lol jst need to get my head back on the ball again...

A working holiday visa dosent sound so apealing as i'd have to come home, lol plus i'd be leaving a bit of debt behind i never want to see again..
Old Nov 17th 2013, 3:43 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your future plans
Old Nov 17th 2013, 5:46 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

As this is meant to just be an introduction may I suggest you look in the relevant country forums for answers to any of your questions.