Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Help! Where to go.....

Help! Where to go.....

Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:01 am
Just Joined

mojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nice
Default Help! Where to go.....

Hi all - was hoping for some advice on where to emigrate to...... The USA is our first choice & we have been trying for a couple of years to get an H1b sponsored job..( my hubby isn't university educated but has good qualifications in his field and years of experience, we hoped this would be enough but haven't had a glimmer of interest ) unfortunately too we are unable to raise the pots of money required for investment... so, we have decided to look further afield, maybe to australia or canada -we know very little about either country apart from the obvious ( climate etc! ) so would really appreciate some help from people who have been there and done that - any help gratefully recieved! Thanks.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 1:24 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Where to go.....

Originally Posted by mojo72
Hi all - was hoping for some advice on where to emigrate to...... The USA is our first choice & we have been trying for a couple of years to get an H1b sponsored job..( my hubby isn't university educated but has good qualifications in his field and years of experience, we hoped this would be enough but haven't had a glimmer of interest ) unfortunately too we are unable to raise the pots of money required for investment... so, we have decided to look further afield, maybe to australia or canada -we know very little about either country apart from the obvious ( climate etc! ) so would really appreciate some help from people who have been there and done that - any help gratefully recieved! Thanks.
Welcome to the forum......

Choosing somewhere to live can be a tricky old business, If someone had told me I would end up living in France 10 years ago I would have told them to bugger off, "I still would". I dont know what skills you have to offer don't dismiss the local neighbours and what they have to offer in regards to a more enjoyable lifestyle. I grew up in the UK and spent years on the move outside of it since I left home years ago. IMHO America is a fun country when your doing well and the sun is out. But its horses for courses, And its somewhere I have to visit every few years for one reason or another. Cant tell you much about down under other than its a nice place to go diving and it neighbours are interesting and diverse.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jun 28th 2010 at 1:40 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. As has been said, immigration is a whole new ball game. Easy for some and not others. Whichever country one chooses, it is no easier anywhere. Each has their own styles and culture. What appeals to one may not appeal to another. Australia is very different to Canada. I liked Australia when there for work, fun to visit, but would not choose to live there.

You may want to consider visiting the countries before making a decision. Also take a look through the country forums and the Wiki section for each country, it may help you get an idea.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

mojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nice

Thanks guys, it's good to hear other peoples opinions - and I think on a site like this they are more likely to be honest ones! We've been to America several times & love it, but the visa situation there is so difficult.. I guess we'll keep researching and reading a lot more posts on here - get plenty of viewpoints!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome to BE.

I echo the sentiments of Ka Ora and The Aviator. The grass may often seem greener at the other side of the fence. Sometimes it takes a move to another country to fully appreciate what a great country the UK really is.

I see you've already started posting in the Australia forum. My answer to the question you asked would be to please remember many people who move to a new country are out enjoying their new lives rather than posting on an internet forum. Although reading through the posts and those in the Moving Back To The UK Forum will give you an idea of the hardship and heartbreak that befalls some people.

Our forums aren't all doom and gloom...far from it. Many of our members log on for useful information or to help others. BE is also a great pick me up when you feel homesick...the greatest draw for me was the sarcastic banter between regular members...that's one of the things I really missed about my UK life.

Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20, Sonlymewalter and Centurion. If you need help finding your way around the many forums please ask a concierge for assistance.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and don't forget to shout out should you require any help.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I forgot to give you the link to BE's Canada Forums.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will be pleased to help you find your way around.

For any other problems please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jerseygirl.... can I just ask , noticed your 'can take the girl out of Yorkshire' quote.... whereabouts in Gods' county are you from??? I'm a Sheffield lass me'self!! Cheers for your help.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Jerseygirl.... can I just ask , noticed your 'can take the girl out of Yorkshire' quote.... whereabouts in Gods' county are you from??? I'm a Sheffield lass me'self!! Cheers for your help.
I was born in Sheffield ...left when I was 20 but still have rellies there.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:58 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

The sarcastic banter is what keeps me coming on now!! It's amazing how people who are not from the UK just don't get it!!! (Having said that a couple of US friends who live in Italy have snook on here recently because they do.... )

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find that which you seek!! If you do look closer to home though remember it is always easier to get a job if you can speak the language of that country, otherwise you could look at TEFL to enable you to teach English there, not brilliantly paid, but a source of revenue!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
The sarcastic banter is what keeps me coming on now!! It's amazing how people who are not from the UK just don't get it!!! (Having said that a couple of US friends who live in Italy have snook on here recently because they do.... )

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find that which you seek!! If you do look closer to home though remember it is always easier to get a job if you can speak the language of that country, otherwise you could look at TEFL to enable you to teach English there, not brilliantly paid, but a source of revenue!
Before I joined BE I remember reading through some of the threads with tears of laughter rolling down my face. I hadn't lived in the UK for 9 years at that point and hadn't realised just how much I missed the British sarcastic sense of humour. From that point I was hooked on BE.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:11 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome to the site, big decisions to be made for you.This site is so packed with info and differing viewpoints you have made a great start to your research.

Best of luck

Dewb